Post Thanks / Like

Question Camera and photo technique ?

I've been searching how to take a photo where the background is blurry and the object is focused. I think I've discovered that my little piece of you-know-what Sony Cyber-shot digital camera will not achieve the photo I want. I read something about changing the aperture priority and I think my point and shoot camera won't do that.

Does anyone know how to take that kind of photo (not sure what the technical name is for the type of photo) with a point and shoot?

If I wanted to buy a camera that would give me that option, can you recommend a good camera that isn't too expensive, but would be more versatile?

prettyingreen is offline *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Camera and photo technique ?

i think i remember a tut here on how to make a pic like that with photoshop... i'll do some digging

Post Thanks / Like

Its called "depth of field" and yes you do acheive it by changing your aperture priority
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm

But you can achieve a similar effect in PhotoShop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi90bHVPtI4

Post Thanks / Like

Here's also a good website if your in the market for a new camera. www.imaging-resource.com. You can compare camera makes & models. on the left, there is a link that says "Find the best Camera for you" It goes thru a list of features/prices etc and you prioritize your list then it comes up with the best cameras that match what you were looking for. I was considering a Canon Rebel a few years ago but realized it was "Too Much" camera for me at the time and I used this site. I love my Panasonic Lumix! I may eventually upgrade to a great Canon or Nikon but for now this works for me! Good luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kimmy.. I have a Nikon D80 and am taking an online photo class for this month from Clickinmoms.. Check it out if you are interested in upgrading to a DLSR Its pretty intense but this forum has great info! T

Post Thanks / Like

I love my rebel! I think that all stems out from my photography classes that I took in HS & college. But it probably is a bit much for me. I use mostly automatic settings on it. But hubby is able to use it on the manual settings really well. One of these days I'll get it right!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kimmyscraps View Post
    Here's also a good website if your in the market for a new camera. www.imaging-resource.com. You can compare camera makes & models. on the left, there is a link that says "Find the best Camera for you" It goes thru a list of features/prices etc and you prioritize your list then it comes up with the best cameras that match what you were looking for. I was considering a Canon Rebel a few years ago but realized it was "Too Much" camera for me at the time and I used this site. I love my Panasonic Lumix! I may eventually upgrade to a great Canon or Nikon but for now this works for me! Good luck!!!
    I had a Pansonic Lumix before I got my DSLR..loved it! Great Point and Shoot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photom View Post
    I love my rebel! I think that all stems out from my photography classes that I took in HS & college. But it probably is a bit much for me. I use mostly automatic settings on it. But hubby is able to use it on the manual settings really well. One of these days I'll get it right!
    I use mine [Rebel XS] in automatic too, especially when I'm taking pictures of my kids, LOL!