Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Making a Page from Beginning to End~ Tutorial

Wow there are so many of you who have never done this before! So I have written a photo tutorial on how to make a digital scrap book page. There is a picture for every step.

These instructions will work for Photoshop CS 2,3,&4 and Photoshop Elements 6+. I made this page in Photoshop Elements 6.

First, you need a canvas.

You want your canvas to be 12x12 inches and 300 dpi. You also want to click on the background contents menu and select transparent. Then click OK.

Then select your pictures, papers and elements. Open them all up. We are going to drag them onto our blank canvas. Make sure you have selected the arrow tool on your tools menu. It is circled in red on the left.

You will know you are dragging your item correctly, because it will move in it's window, and a little plus sign will show up on the canvas you are dragging onto.

Next, we are going to name our elements so we can find them easily.

If you double click on the item name in the layers window, you can rename your items. On a simple layout it's not a big deal. But when you get really into clustering and layering papers, you can have over 40 items, and smaller items can be hard to identify in the layers menu.

Now we arrange. You are still using the arrow tool to grab items. Whichever item you have selected in the layers menu is the item that will move.

Now are going to rotate the brackets so that they fit on the photo I chose.

To rotate more than one item at a time, hold down the control key and click on each item in the layers menu you want to rotate. You can click on as many as you like. Right now, we are choosing the left bracket and the right bracket.

When you have both items selected (they should both be highlighted in the Layers menu) click Control T.
    A box with little tiny boxes on each corner will now appear around the items you selected.
    You can either grab one of tiny boxes and rotate to your heart's desire
    or at top left of the screen, there is a degree box where you can enter the number of degrees you want to rotate your item. I am extremely {ahem} organized, so I chose to enter 90 degree's in the degree box.
    In case you can't see it, the degree box is to the right of the "constrain proportions" option.

As you can see, my brackets were too big for the picture I was using. So we are going to resize them.

Once again, select your brackets on the layers menu. (I did mine one at a time, but in this case, I could have done them both at the same time.)
    Click Control T.
    Make sure the "constrain proportion" box is checked. That will make sure that the item we are shrinking keeps it's shape while we shrink it. When you make your item the size you want it, click the green check to exit the item transformation.

Now that the bracket's are framing my picture, there is picture sticking out beyond the bracket! (This is a trick I did not learn right away, so by me telling you about this now, will save you hours of frustration)
    We want to erase the extra bits of picture, but make sure we get ALL of the spare bit. STRAYS ARE BAD!

So we are going to start at the bottom. On your layers menu, while holding down control, click on the preview window of the bottom bracket. (The part that is circled in red in the above photo.)
    You should now have "marching ants" around your bracket.
    This means anything we try to erase will be limited to the area inside the marching ants, but we don't want to erase inside the bracket, we want to erase that part that is outside of it.
    So we hold down Control, Shift and I all at the same time. This will select the inverse.
    The picture above is what it should look like when the inverse is selected.

Now we are going to erase the extraneous photo. Make sure your photo is selected in the layers menu and switch over to the eraser tool on the tools menu.

Okay, we are going to erase the bits that hang out. I am lazy, so I like a nice big eraser. In the picture above, you will see a circled slider and input box. You can either slide the slider, or input a specific number. I think my eraser size was about 75.
    Just make sure when selecting your eraser size it isn't too big, or you could erase something you don't want to erase!
    If you DO erase something inadvertently, STOP and go to edit on top top menu bar and click UNDO.

Now we are going to start positioning our elements.

I control click the three items I want to move. Then, using the arrow tool, I move them where I want to place them.
    Then, to add some visual interest, I click control-T and grabbed a corner and rotated my group until I liked the angle. Then I clicked the green check box to commit the transformation.

Okay, I dragged another few items onto my canvas, but they are out of order... we are going to fix that now.

I don't know if you can see the little blue crab lost in the seaweed there, but I want him on top.
    So I click on the crab layer in the layers box (without letting go) and DRAG the crab layer to the top.
    He will now be on top of the seaweed.

The next step is a little advanced, but makes things look more realistic.

I want him on top of the seaweed, but I want him somewhat in it as well. So I am going to click on the seaweed preview window in the layers box so that I have the marching ants around the seaweed.
    Then select the crab layer.
    Then using a small eraser tool, I am going to erase a couple of bits of the crab so it looks like his claw is wrapped in seaweed.

Okay, now we are going to add our title!

But the default font is not what I want and is waaaaay too small!
    So once you have typed out your title (using the Type tool, which is a big T on your tools menu, we are going to make changes.

Circle 1: Font chooser.
    I like handwriting fonts for journaling, and block-ish fonts for title work. This is just my preference, you can use whatever you want. (That is until week 4 and I teach Fonts and Word Art. )
    Circle 2: Font Size
    Just remember, it will print out larger than you think it will...
    Circle 3: Font Color
    Circle 4: my text
    Circle 5: the color editing window
    My favorite thing to do to make sure my text matches my layout is to use the medicine dropper tool (which will pop up when have that window open) and pick a color out of my layout with it.

Now, we don't want our layout to look flat, so we are going to add some drop shadows.

TEXT SHOULD NOT FLOAT! If you have drop shadow on a text, it will make it look like it is coming off of the page... so consider carefully before you put a drop shadow on your text. There are other ways to make your text stand out more, but we will go over them another time.

Ok, rant over.

You want to make sure that you have the layers styles options selected in the effects menu. That is the right circled item in the photo above.
    Then click on the layer menu in the top (top left red circle) and select Layer Style, and then style settings.
    The menu box you see in the picture above will pop up.
    In this layout, I used:
    Size 15 pixels
    Distance 10 pixels
    Opacity 75
    Color Black (Black is the standard color. If you are feeling adventurous, you can click on the little black box to change the color to something lighter. But for now, for your first layout, a black drop shadow will do nicely.)

Next we are going to copy the layer style and apply it to everything else.

If you look 2 pictures up, you will see that the turtle layer has a turquoise FX next to it. This means it has a style (in this case a drop shadow) applied to it.
    So click on the turtle layer in the layer box, and then right click the turtle layer and select, "copy layer style".
    Then, while holding down the control button click on every other layer (NOT THE TEXT LAYERS) you want to apply your drop shadow to.
    Then, right click and select, paste layer style. It should apply the drop shadow to every layer you had selected.

Now, we save. I ALWAYS save my layouts 3 ways.

1. 300 dpi 12x12 PSD file (This is the photoshop default method and means you can go back later and edit your individual layers if you want.) Simply click on the file menu, and select SAVE

2. 300 dpi 12x12 JPEG file (For print quality if I use my LO in a printed book or printed page) Click on the File Menu, Click save as and select JPEG.

3. 100 dpi 6x6 jpeg file (For posting in the galleries)

First we need to resize it.

Click on the image menu and click Resize and then Image Size.
    A box will pop-up.

Make sure all three boxes at the bottom are checked.
    Then in the document size section, type 6, 6, and 100 in the three editable boxes.
    Click okay.

Then go to save as and select JPEG.

A new box will pop and and you will need to adjust the quality number to make it small enough for posting in galleries. Most galleries require file sizes to be under 200KB.
    I normally select 8, but if I have a really busy layout with lots of layers, I have had to go all the way down to 5 before.

That's it! You are all done!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making a Page from Beginning to End~ Tutorial

This is a great tutorial. I recommended this tutorial to someone so I thought I'd just bump this up
    I love it when people make there way into the digi-scrap world