Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Text is is your friend~ Tutorial

Ok, I don't have a long in depth tutorial that I have written myself. I did find a good one that someone else wrote though.

Text in a shape
    This one will teach you how to make your text fit inside a custom shape, or how to get your text to follow a curve or other shape on your page. Since the curved/waved papers are all the rage right now, I thought this was a timely tutorial.

Applying a Paper to Your Text Okay, this one was written by me, but for last time. It is an excellent skill to know, and has a variety of helpful uses. You can also use the skills from this tutorial to cut a block of text into a shape.

And next... Text on a Path.

First, you need to pick your path shape. In this layout, I am going to follow the string in my layout.

So first, I make sure the text tool is selected.
    Next, I put the dancing ants around and the string.
    Next, click on the paths tab.
    Then click on the make work paths on selection button. It is the one that looks kind of like a head with pig tails.

You should now have a slanted cursor when you hover over your dancing ants item.

Click and then start typing. You might have to re-do this step a few times to get the text to go where you want it to.

Text on a path in GIMP
    Text on a path in PSPX2
    (thank you to Jodi for finding these for us.)

And lastly, this is a great example of a fun use of text. I am going to call it word blocking.

It looks a fancy, but is really easy to do.

First, pick a word you want to repeat.
    Type it in a type writer font, and duplicate the layer several times.
    Make a few of the layers smaller, and drag individual layers around until you find a look you like.
    Then select a few of them and reduce the opacity.

Easy peasy! It adds great visual interest, and looks fancy. ;)

Now, I know that not all of you are going to be able to do text on a path. It is only an option in Photoshop CS that I am aware. I am not sure if GIMP can do it. If anyone knows of a tutorial to trick Photoshop Elements into doing it, PLEASE link it to this thread and let me know so we can share it.

Happy Scrapping!
    Last edited by GingerScraps; 05-06-2010 at 06:55 PM.