Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Post Fonts and Word Art~ Tutorial

I love fonts. I can spend as much time journaling and titling a layout as I do on the rest of the page. Remember, a bad title or font choice can RUIN what would have been an gorgeous page! So it is important to spend time making your title work and journaling awesome. Remember, sometimes what we say on a page is just as important as the pictures we use.

Some of what I am going to say here is my personal opinion, some is based in fact. Are you ready? Let's go!

Let's Start with fonts.

I use different fonts for different things. For journaling, I prefer to use a handwriting type font. I feel like we are trying to make our pages as realistic as possible, so a handwriting font is going to be more realistic than a regular font. (CK Ali's Writing is a VERY popular handwriting font. Highland Perk and Digs My Hart are free alternatives. They are available at Kevin and Amanda... the link is at the end of this tutorial.) Pea Charmaine is a great hand printed font. (Hey, I know someone named Charmaine! True story, Pea Charmaine is Wyld Web Designs' Charmaine's actual handwriting. You can download it at Kevin and Amanda too! They have a whole line of FREE handwritten fonts that are FANTASTIC for journaling.)

For captioning right now, I am in LOVE with Typewriter fonts. Sometimes I will journal with a typewriter font, because it suits the layout better. (Traveling Typewriter and Problem Secretary are my favorites, you can get them at a couple of places.)

For title work, I love to mix my fonts. If you have done a Speed Scrap with me, you should be familiar with step 6, "Word art title, use either three fonts or two fonts and an alpha." If you notice, I am asking for an odd number. Remember the clustering tutorial? You want to keep things odd. The technical term for that is The Rule of 1,3, and 5.

My favorite combination of fonts to use in word art is a blocky font, (I love Howser right now) a swirly font, (I went through a Scriptina and a Ma ***y phase) and either a typewriter font or a standard font. (Some standard fonts are NO GOOD AT ALL AND HAVE NO BUSINESS ON YOUR PAGE! As far as a regular font that actually came with your computer, I actually like Century Gothic.)

When choosing your font, you want to choose a font that matches the tone of your layout. A cutesy font like Comic Sans or Curlz has no business being on a romantic wedding page. Bleeding Cowboy should not be on a newborn picture spread layout. However, Bleeding Cowboy has been known to rock a Twilight blinkie or two. ;)

Remember when doing your title work and journaling, that you want your word art and journaling to be a part of the page, but not to take over. If it looks like it might be too big, it is. Make it smaller. When journaling, you want to be able to read it on screen, but not from across the room.

FOR THE MOST PART, TEXT SHOULD NOT HAVE A DROP SHADOW ON IT!!! When you write on a piece of paper in real life, does your text float? NO!!! There are other ways of making your text stand out, but making it float with a drop shadow is a no no! If you are trying to get your journaling to show up, you can change the color to a contrasting (but still matching the layout) color, put a small stroke around it or put it in a journaling box where the text shows up better.

Sometimes your title can float.

In this layout, my title is floating because it is hung on a string. If you title is hanging from something, or is an alpha where the letter is raised and would make a shadow in real life, it is okay to put a drop shadow on it. In the layout below, Friend is a raised alpha, so it got a small shadow. "In me" wasn't going to show up very well on the background paper, so I put a stroke around it to make it show up more.

I know that some of you (I will not name names) are intimidated by making your own word art. So I am going to show you how I made one of the word art's from my not yet released kit, Red, White, and Blue (But Mostly Red, Eh?).

First I start by typing out the words I am going to use. I know that I am going to apply different styles to each of these words, so each word is it's own layer.

Now I am going to fiddle with my font library and see which one screams 4th of July at me. The typewriter font I started with was cute, but I know I want to apply papers to the letters, and the typewriter font is not big enough to "hold" a patterned paper.

Ah perfection! Because I know I want to use three different papers, I am going to stick to ONE font. In this case, I chose Kevin and Amanda's Howser.

Now I move them around and arrange them in a pleasing manner.

Now I am going to apply my papers to each layer.
    Put the paper underneath the text layer.
    Click on the text layer preview in the layers menu so you get the dancing ants around the text you are "papering".
    Once the ants are dancing, select the inverse (control, shift, I in photoshop and Elements).
    and then make sure your paper is selected in the layers menu and DELETE the outside paper. (Sometimes it does not like to delete, so you have to use your eraser tool instead.)
    Then in your layers menu, drag the paper layer up so that it is over the text layer.

Okay, I did that with all three of my layers.

But they look unfinished, so I am going to use the burn tool on the edges. I want the word art to look a little puffy, so I am going do a bigger edge burn. (This is very advanced, so if you are overwhelmed at this point, skip this part!)

Put the dancing ants around the layer you are working on
    Go to select, modify, and contract. I selected 15
    Then, select, modify, and feather, I selected 15. (The keeps your burn from being too solid, it softens it and makes it more natural looking.)
    Select the inverse then use the burn tool around the edges.

and here is my finished 4th of July word art.

Here are some examples of great word art, title work, and journaling from the gallery. (I will never admit this outloud, but Charmaine and Becka are better at this than I am!)

Charmaine

Charmaine almost always used the rule of 1,3 and 5!

Becka

Me

Okay, let's go shopping for some new fonts! These sites all have free fonts. Most of them will come with a TOU. I recommend reading them.

http://www.dafont.com
    http://www.urbanfonts.com
    http://www.kevinandamanda.com/fonts/
    Last edited by GingerScraps; 05-06-2010 at 06:54 PM.

2. Likes Ricki liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fonts and Word Art~ Tutorial

I use Microsoft Digital Imager 2006, so I read your tutorial more than a dozen times and then went to play. I made about 6 word arts today and this is the one I liked best. Thank you very much for the instructions. Having such great detail really helped me to translate to the program I work with.
    The fonts I used are Scrap Casual, Urban Sketch and Jailbird Jenna. I used the July Challenge template from Luv Ewe Designs. The kit is a FREE one from Everyday Mom Ideas Designs (search her blog if you want to see her freebies).
    Thank you again for the great tutorial!

mix of kits from Leaving a Legacy Designs

Ricki is online now *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Snickerdoodle*
    *GingerScraps Ad Team

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fonts and Word Art~ Tutorial

A great tutorial, thank you! Always something new to learn

AngelclaudArtroom, SeatroutScraps, GingerScrapsAdTeam, SnickerdoodleDesigns, & Bright Ideas.