Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dodge and Burn~ Tutorial

So what is the burn and dodge tool good for anyway's? Well, if you ever need to lighten or darken something to add depth, darken colors, or add some other sort of attribute to an image or design, the burn and dodge tools can very well be your best friends. This is not all these tools are limited to though. You can tell them which parts of an image to make darker or brighter with some simple settings. In this tutorial, I will guide you through the process of making some flat ribbons appear to have ripples or folds in them.

Here is what the tool looks like. You can also get the tool by command/cntrl o. Ok lets pick our ribbon. This one is nice and flat.

I am going to thread this ribbon through a buckle. I am using a buckle from Ginger's Buckle Up Pack. First we need to make the ribbon look like it is threaded. This is easily done by duplicating the buckle (cmd/cntrl J). Make sure your ribbon is in between the buckles. Then erase the top buckle to make the ribbon look threaded.

Ok, well our ribbon certainly looks threaded, but does it look real? Not yet!

Grab your burn tool. The burn tool is used to darken parts of your document, while the dodge tool brightens them. The burn tool is the one that looks like a little hand with the fingers pushed together. You may have to right click on the dodge tool to switch them. Select a medium sized brush, and start making some brush strokes along the parts of the ribbon that is "threaded" If you want a straight line you can hold down shift while stroking. Please note that you can select the image your are burning with "marching ants" as to not accidentally get something you don't want.

Ok Now lets add the Dodge tool. Stroke along the buckle part that is under the ribbon. We want to make it look like it is under the ribbon

Wow! See how much better this looks? I like to add just a little bit more burn tool on the outside of the dodge tool strokes. This is our finished ribbon~

In just a few strokes, we have gone from a flat object, to an object with depth and lighting. This is just a basic example of how we can use these tools though. In a better situation, you could use these tools to get proper lighting effects in a photo, such as sun gleaming off the ocean. Or you could whiten your teeth with the dodge tool. I do this frequently! LOL OK so lets see what you can do! You can also edit a photo with these tools! Cant wait to see what you all come up with! Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this was helpful, it was my first ever tut!
    Last edited by GingerScraps; 05-06-2010 at 06:58 PM.

2. Thanks soshanna, Matilda thanked for this post
    Likes soshanna, Matilda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dodge and Burn~ Tutorial

Great Tut! Thanks for sharing!