Post Thanks / Like

Default No more space on my Hard Drive!

OK, so I've downloaded a ton, and I ran out of HD space. My hubby and I talked about getting me a terrabyte drive, but what should I do in the meantime? It's blog-train time and I won't get it until after everyone's freebies go into their stores!

I thought putting them on CDs or DVDs, but after buying a few of those, it would just be more worth it to put the $ into the new drive.

Any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No more space on my Hard Drive!

You can go back through freebies, etc and cut the ones you really don't want anymore. Also if you save all those PSD files as jpgs...make sure they are exactly how you want them first - no layer edits later...and delete your PSD files, that will free up a ton of space. I had to go through and convert all my RAW images and PSD files on my old computer...they take up a TON of space and I was always running out of space

Post Thanks / Like

When that happened to me last fall, I went through and deleted a bunch of scrapbooking stuff that I never used or was poor quailty. That got me up to Christmas, when DH bought a 1 terabyte external drive for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am out of hard drive space, and I have already taken xmas and valentine off to external drive, but so afraid I'll lose something.
    http://forums.gingerscraps.net/signaturepics/sigpic8242_1.gif

Post Thanks / Like

Give Up Gals!!! There is always more "goodies" out there than you'll ever be able to keep on any external or hard drive storage!!

I book mark some of my fav freebie sites and they always have links to other freebie's..
    I delete monthly those items I never have used.. get rid of every Tou except ONE.. Files are set up by designers. Get rid of the the Zipped folders. and rearrange by theme, then designer,

Seems every designer is now stowing extra folders, gifs ads and preview info on sales in each folder... DELETE them.
    Don't forget to defrag your computer routinuely.. each month for me since I'm downloading and deleteing so much.

My beast is over 8 years old and still purring along with regular "delete" mainentance... Granny
    MY BLOG

"the difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how a person uses them" from My Granny's cookbook

Post Thanks / Like

Judy has some excellent suggestions here. Go through and organize as much as possible and get rid of anything you really aren't in love with after a second glance. You'd be surprised about the stuff you will find that you never used or after a second glance, will probably never use.
    My Store

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    Give Up Gals!!! There is always more "goodies" out there than you'll ever be able to keep on any external or hard drive storage!!

I book mark some of my fav freebie sites and they always have links to other freebie's..
    I delete monthly those items I never have used.. get rid of every Tou except ONE.. Files are set up by designers. Get rid of the the Zipped folders. and rearrange by theme, then designer,

Seems every designer is now stowing extra folders, gifs ads and preview info on sales in each folder... DELETE them.
    Don't forget to defrag your computer routinuely.. each month for me since I'm downloading and deleteing so much.

My beast is over 8 years old and still purring along with regular "delete" mainentance... Granny
    Thanks Granny. That is great advice! I actually have my folders in forums, so then I can tell which designers I want to work with. This works really well so I can keep my blog trains together. But you are right- everyone has at least one preview, blinkie, & tou, with many adding other kits available! So I will go off to do some deleting. Then, I will take my favorites and put them onto CDs or DVDs. That way, if I ever have a HD crash- I don't have to go searching for my kits again!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this helps me out too. The laptop I have my pse8 on is ancient, the new one we bought in Jan doesn't have a cd-rom. So until we get an external cd-rom and hardrive, I'm contantly putting my scrapbook stuff on cd's. Now I can fit more onto the cd's.

Thanks for the idea's,
    Lindi
    Proudly CTing for:

Post Thanks / Like

OH, I was able to help!! Makes me feel so fuzzy & warm to help. Granny Judy
    MY BLOG

"the difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how a person uses them" from My Granny's cookbook

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I've been going through and deleting double previews and TOUs and blinkies/extras. My hubby looked at me, asked how much I really got rid of, then stated that I was wasting my time! What do you think of that? It's the million pictures that I have that's the problem. And one of my cards once taken out of the camera, doesn't register that it's uploaded the pictures. So I'll have 3 copies of the same photo in the same folder! I just deleted over 500 duplicate/triplicates for one day alone! (Of course, that was our sightseeing vacation!)