Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Picasa help needed BADLY lol

I can not figure this thing out. I have questions.

1.) Is anyone near me and I can pay you to come do this for me!

2.) How in the world do I set this up? Do I make folders like brads, papers, etc?? And if so, what folders do you have set up?

3.) How do I know what I have already tagged and what I have not? Is there a button to push somewhere to show me what has not been tagged yet?

4.) Are there any tips to getting this done? Something that you wish you had known when you first started?

Please help me. I am very grateful to anyone who can help.
    ~Jennifer~

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Picasa help needed BADLY lol

There are probably several ways to go about this. This is how I do it.

I made albums. Some people tag all of their stuff. I am lazy and thought it would take too much time.
    DO NOT move things around in your folders!!!
    This will move things around on your hard drive. I made this mistake and some designers only tag their stuff with things like paper 1. And then you have no clue who or what it belongs too. Still picking up the pieces from that mess.

I have about 75 albums. I have things like. Brads_Eyelets, Angels_fairy dust_wings, WA, Strings_rope_rubber bands ect. Group things to where you can find them easily.

There are two sections on the left the top with blue folders-That's your albums. Feel free to move things, remove etc. The bottom section with the manila envelopes that you are familiar with-These are folders that are actually on your HD. DO NOT delete or move items from these floders unless you intend on deleting them to your recycling bin or moving them to another place on your HD.

click on the folders on the bottom and go through each one. I name each of my kits by the name of the kit, designer and S4H-PUO-CU. That way when I am looking through my things, I know what I can use them for. Make sure to create an album to put your items into.
    ecample-We will do brads. click on your like items
    ** 3 Brads-highlight them-right click and hover over ADD TO ALBUM. All the albums that you created will drop out and then click on the folder that you want the items to be added to. In this case would be brads. Feel free to add items to more than one album. Say if you have a heart shaped frame, you could add it to frames and to a hearts album.

Finding the right element...
    So your doing a SS and need string. click on your strings album. You can see EVERY sting that you added. You find the perfect one-Right click-Locate on disk. That takes you directly to the kit in which that element originated. Drag and drop it into your program. I min the folders so I can keep better track of credits.

Hope this helps.
    Let me know if you need anymore help.

Post Thanks / Like

Goley (Gosh, golly and holy moley!!) So that's how ya do it!! I put off using my Picasa to it's fullest potential because I didn't know where to start.
    Some how a LightBulb went off when I read your "How To-what you do". I can become ORGANIZED this year!! without buying some other add-on. I knew there was a way..just not where to begin.
    THANKS!!
    MY BLOG

"the difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how a person uses them" from My Granny's cookbook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    Goley (Gosh, golly and holy moley!!) So that's how ya do it!! I put off using my Picasa to it's fullest potential because I didn't know where to start.
    Some how a LightBulb went off when I read your "How To-what you do". I can become ORGANIZED this year!! without buying some other add-on. I knew there was a way..just not where to begin.
    THANKS!!
    So glad it was helpful to you. Good luck organizing :36_1_21:

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I still have one question. When you do the add to album thing the "element" doesnt move there it just copies there right? So how do you know what you have already copied to an album and what you still have left to copy? Know what I am saying? Does that make sense? Not sure really how to explaine what my head is thinking, lol.
    ~Jennifer~

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question more directly, there is no way to know what you've tagged or put into albums. That's why Angela recommends just starting at the top and working down.

Post Thanks / Like

Things will not move by copying them there.

The next is long but it has a purpose I promise.

The manila folders on the bottom will be your kits, fully intact just the way you saved them. When I DL 5 zips for one kit, they all go in the same folder.
    My folders go like this...
    -Scrapbooking
    -Scrapbooking alphas
    -GingerScraps
    see if t-Wyld Web DEsigns_Graham like the cracker
    see if this works-LittleSighs_GrahamLikeTheCracker
    -Enchanted Studio Scraps
    see if t-Designs by Helly
    see if this works-My Secret Place
    So when I think of a kit, I can find it b/c I'm not always sure who designed it.
    I keep the alpha in the kit when I DL, *in it's own folder*. I Copy the alpha *renamed* to a Scrapbooking alpha folder. This way when I'm just looking for an alpha. I go down to the folders and search there. If you put a _ before that folder. It will always be the first one , I find that it's easier to find that way.

Simply start at the top of the manila folders. Click on it and it will show all your goodies. Start sending them to different albums *create as you go* When you are done with that one, go to the next. Go in order until you are done.

The next time you put a kit in your scrapbooking section Picasa will automatically accpet that folder. That new kit's name will be slightly darker in color. Then sort that folder. Do this every time you get a new kit. and you should be able to keep things straight. Now you can pick from different kits or choose one kit *from your hard drive* that has matching everything.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

When you open Picasa for the first time you can select what you want it to scan every time. I guess most people use it for photos. I don't want my photos scanned so I deselected all the places I don't want it to search for more items when starting up. So that it's only scanning my Scrabooking folder for new items.

Oh and sometimes you will duplicate things or accidently put them in the wrong album. View that album and remove that item. It will only remove it from that album not your folder or HD.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm set up!! When I find or buy an item.. I download it directly to the appropriate folder in my main "my documents"area.

In Picasa I turned on the folders to view over on the left menu area. Right click and you will see where to "turn on" your folders.

My big and Main file is MY PSE. It's the way I scrap. If I can't find it there, I will make an item Myself and place it in MY Creations sub-file..so I can find it again and not have to REDO things (saved in pse/psd & png)

Anyone else have questions?? I learn from yours and the answers given. You are opening a whole new organising tool for me.. Come on Picasa users..What do you do?
    MY BLOG

"the difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how a person uses them" from My Granny's cookbook

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies for the information. I just started using Picasa as well, unfortunatly I have over 50,000 elements to sort through. How long do you think that will take?