Default HOW....

...do you choose your kits?

By colour?
    By theme?
    By designer?
    To go with a specific photo?
    Just because you like it?
    Other?

I am definitely a "By colour" chooser, I scrap "off theme" a lot!! Even when shopping, kits of specific colours jump out at me, and entice me to buy even if I don't have a use for them at the time. I generally don't buy to match a particular photo but sometimes I do. Most of my purchases are "just because I like it" . There are some designers whose kits attract me more than some others do but it is colour first for me regardless of designer.

Tell me what you do.

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Winner of Scrapping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: HOW....

Great question. I think for me it is a bit of "all of the above". I need to be able to think of a purpose, a plan for the kit and have photos in mind to scrap with it. Sometimes the photos are not even taken yet.

m
    Michelle

3. Thanks Jill thanked for this post
    Likes Neverland Scraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A little bit of all of them, at different times.

Sometimes I'm definitely buying a kit because of the theme, because I have a certain group of photos I want to scrap, and the theme goes with those photos. Sometimes I'm attracted to certain colours, so I'll buy a kit because I love the colours. Both colour and theme may be to go with a specific photo or a specific set of photos.

Sometimes I'll pick up a designer's kit or grab bag because I see it in their facebook group or on their blog, or if it's on sale and I know what I can do with it. Occasionally, especially with the Buffet choices, I'll pick up a kit just because I like it!

5. Thanks Jill thanked for this post
    Likes msbrad, Neverland Scraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge theme scrapper. I see a kit that I love the theme (and of course - it's colors. I mean, if it was the perfect theme for my pics, but I didn't like the colors, I wouldn't get it), and I imagine the photos I have or might be getting soon and I grab it.

Now, once I have a kit in my stash, I have been known to pull things based on colors that I need for a page and sometimes off theme. And for my CT work, if I don't have something of the theme of the kit, I will use the coloring of it.

All of that being said, I look to my favorite designers first when looking for a kit. I certainly gravitate to my favs since style wise, I know both what to expect from them and their style obviously matches what I like.

I have not bought a kit just because I "like" it in years. I have to have some sort of purpose for it - pictures that I think that it will go with.

7. Likes Neverland Scraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What a loaded question!!!

They speak to me. The kits that I buy without question, they just speak to me. I can't explain it. Maybe this is how a shoe shopper or a purse shopper feels; I don't know. I can look through a new release and if there's that one kit that stands out, catches my attention, I'll either add it to my wishlist for when money is available, or buy it right away!!

Now when I'm not being "spoken" to by products, I'll go through each new release/collection and ask myself
    -can I make this?
    -do I really need this?
    -do I have any photos, off the top of my head, that I'd use with this?
    -does it have a lot of elements that I'd use?
    -do I like the ct layouts or are they using the same elements over and over?
    -am I getting my money's worth with this purchase? (I'm not going to spend $10 on 20 elements or something crazy)
    -would I use this product more than once?
    -do I know this designer and their quality? (if not, I'll try to find a freebie before I buy)
    -do I already own said product (I've been known to buy the same product three, four, five, etc times!)
    -do any of my designers have a similar product (this is the case around the holidays--I don't need 50 Christmas kits).
    -will I use this product right away or will it sit on my harddrive, being forgotten?

I'm sure there are more things that factor in to my purchases, but those are just a few things that run through my head before I buy a product. I'm very thrifty with my money and most times, I get caught up on "do I really need this" and that's when it gets added to my wishlist. If its something that I keep going back to, then I add it to my favorites in my internet's toolbar so when iNSD or some crazy sale comes around, I revisit the product asking myself the same questions. I've had things in my favorites for years now and every huge sale that comes around, I still get caught up answering my questions.

Maybe I overthink too much, but what I buy has meaning, value and a reason. I just don't buy to buy to have. I use to do that way back when I started and I spent so much money on things I've never even scrapped and just recently threw my back-up copies of said products in the trash!

9. Thanks Jill thanked for this post
    Likes msbrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I normally have a photo I want to scrap first. Then I will hunt down a kit that I think works best for it. Theme is pretty nice as well, but it definitely has to have all the colors that fit with my photo and the style that I like before I will buy it.

11. Thanks Jill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love themed kits and I choose "everyday" kits based on color. I try to scrap "off theme" but that's a challenge for me.

13. Thanks Jill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes..I'd like to say I simply buy ones I "like" but I really don't but I don't necessarily buy by theme or anything either. I think I mostly look at the elements and maybe colors of a kit and if I had bought from that designer before..ect

15. Thanks Jill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great answers ladies!!

Another prompt for me to buy a kit is the CT examples beneath the product in store. I always look at those and see how others have used the kit. Also, a lovely LO in the gallery will often send me to the store to check out the kit that was used. And of course, the great sales that are always happening here are a huge prompt

17. Likes Neverland Scraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Wendy, a kit just speaks to me. And then you know I never use it solo. I break everything up by category and color within category. That's why all my pages are hammajang!!

19. Thanks Jill thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast