Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default anti (flower) embellishments...

Okay ladies...maybe I need to take a class or something, but I cannot seem to get the hang of flower embellishments! I have tried a few times. even used templates where i am TOLD where to put them...and they just don't look right to me. I have tried the more masculine versions too (wooden circles and such) and I see layouts you ladies have done that look great, but i think its not for me...i am also not really a project life kinda girl...maybe something in between.

I don't tend to use a great deal of embellishments in general, but I think it would be fun to start trying...

any thoughts/ideas on what i can use instead? I have one little boy, so its not an issue to stay away from the super girly with those pages, but I have lots of nieces that we visit and i would love to get a little girly going on.

2. Likes teamkobza liked this post
    craftytam is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Lost At Sea {Staff} WINNER!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: anti (flower) embellishments...

Hey! I LOVE flowers!! I even put flowers on my boy LOs. Maybe you need a shadow action? I couldn't do LOs without those. It really helps because shadowing correctly makes it look so much better.

Here are a couple of my boy LOs with flowers:

I hope this helps... there are bunches more in my gallery: http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/show...0&ppuser=12917

4. Thanks Geenzabeenza thanked for this post
    Likes hclappy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, def have to look into shadows! i think that is part of my issue...they just didn't POP!

THANKS SO MUCH!

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Winner of Scrapping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Tammy has some great examples for flowers on a page and her clusters always ROCK!
    One thing to try...if flowers are not your thing [and depending on the LO , they are not mine either] is blocking style, clean lines...and perhaps if the spirit moves you, add something.
    m
    Michelle

7. Thanks Geenzabeenza thanked for this post
    Likes hclappy liked this post
    craftytam is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Scrapping Survivor - Lost At Sea {Staff} WINNER!

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaw! Thanks, Michi!!

Blocked templates are a great idea. You don't have to add a lot of elements or clusters if you don't want to.

9. Likes Neverland Scraps liked this post
    hclappy is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you're more of a Cathy Zielski Clean and Simple scrapper?

I second what Tammy and Michi say about shadows and blocked pages. I love my shadow styles, I think they make LO's look so pretty. Blocked pages are fun too, and you can add one small flower to a block or two if you want to get girly, and that way you don't have to worry about clustering.

I love doilies. Maybe you could have one or two peeking from behind your photos, or off the edge of your page if you want a feminine touch to LO's about your nieces. I think a well placed doily can really soften up a clean LO in a great way.

11. Thanks Geenzabeenza thanked for this post
    Likes craftytam liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love using paint and scatters on boy pages. I do use flowers on my son's pages and did have a bit of trouble when I started because I thought they may be to girly..but they always work. Other than flowers, on boy pages, I also like to use arrows and the strings in a kit. They add a bit of whimsy without being too overwhelming.

Shadowing them is very important as Tammy said too. They need dimension to look real. If you use a template, you can always adjust as needed and add more or less as you like.

Practice is everything!!! Just keep trying and you'll get it to the way you like it. That's one of the best things about digi!!! You can just put it on and then take it off if you hate it!

13. Thanks Geenzabeenza thanked for this post
    Likes craftytam, Geenzabeenza, hclappy liked this post
    trina513 is offline *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Dear Friends Designs
    **Lead GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I struggle with flowers as well - tend to avoid them since 3 of my 4 kids are boys! (but Tammy and others use them on boy pages, and they look FAB!)

With my boys I tend to use a LOT of stars and buttons and greenery

I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

15. Thanks Geenzabeenza thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

you don't have to use the flowers, but use them when you feel inspired. Most kits have other items that you can use in place of the flowers, like Trina said, she uses stars and buttons. If you don't really cluster a lot, you should probably start off small with one or two elements clustered together and then as you feel more comfortable, cluster more items. The key is balance, three in a cluster, odd numbers, etc.

17. Thanks Geenzabeenza thanked for this post
    Likes trina513, Geenzabeenza, craftytam, msbrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about you, since seeing this post. So this week, I put my thinking cap on and created this no flower cluster edition template set. I thought it would be a lot easier, since when I dont use flowers, I used the themed elements of the kit, but it was a lot harder creating a cluster template set than I thought it would be. However, I'm going to use you and this post as inspiration and hopefully create one no flower cluster edition template sets once a month for those who dont like using flowers on their layouts. Hopefully this gives you ideas and inspiration on how you can cluster on your own layouts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast