Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gallery Guidlines- From the boss :)

I've always made my LO's 600 x 600 and under 200 KB since that seems to be the standard at most sites. Is that okay to continue or do I need to switch to 550 x 550 from here on out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StarWarsFans View Post
    I've always made my LO's 600 x 600 and under 200 KB since that seems to be the standard at most sites. Is that okay to continue or do I need to switch to 550 x 550 from here on out?
    I do under 135 (some galleries only allow that), but otherwise, the same

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StarWarsFans View Post
    Nope 600x600 is goo.. I actually thought that is what I had on my top post, I edited it when I saw your post.

Nothing has changed Tricia... so you just keep on doin what you always have been

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the answers and I am saying my prayers and making spells to cover all bases re the none departure of KW LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ginger,

I was looking for a clarification about old and new kits, designers who have left GS, etc., and lo and behold! I found it! Thanks for explaining what we can use and what not in our challenge layouts. I would like to ask a question or two about these policies, however.

While I can see the point in having these rules, I can also see where they can create problems for GS designers. For example, several designers at GS are quite prolific and therefore are frequently retiring their older products. According to these rules, we won't be able to use them after they are no longer listed in the store. Is that correct? Likewise when store designers go out of business, close their shop at GS, or move to another store, we can use any items we buy from them only up to the end of the month in which they retired or left GS, right?

Personally, I see this as a huge disincentive for purchasing their products. I know that I will no longer purchase any more retiring kits or anything from designers who are going out of business or closing their store at GS. I probably won't purchase any more "Buy My Store" offers either because it happens quite often that these kits are soon retired after the BMS offer has passed. Not always, but sometimes.

One might argue that I will have a lot of great kits on hand to create layouts and albums. Yes, this is true, and it's wonderful to have a lot of stuff to choose from when designing. But I now have a 1Tb EHD that is 3/4s full of zips from dozens of stores and hundreds of designers. As my son is fond of pointing out, "Mom, you have so many designs, you can't possible use them in your lifetime, especially since you only have a few years left." No, he doesn't really say that last part, but he and I are both thinking it.

In actuality, I mostly design digital LOs only for GS challenges these days, and thus I don't want to accumulate any more kits that I can't use because they are no longer offered in the GS store or the designer is no longer with GS. For example, I love the stuff that I bought from Amy Stoffel ... in fact, she's been one of my favorite designers since the first SYTYCD contest. OMG, I recently spent over $40 between GingerScraps and DigiChicks buying a bunch of her kits, yet now I find out that I can't use any of it for GS challenges.

I can say the same about the dozens and dozens of kits I purchased at Inspiration Lane, Scrappity-Doo-Dah, Stuff to Scrap, Groovy Scraps, DigiScrap Addicts, etc., etc., etc. All these stores are closed, along with many others, and no one is asking for LOs made with their products. And, of course, there is always the storage issue. Sure, I can use them any ole time to make layouts and albums, but I only have so much time, and it takes ages for me to make each LO that I make, and so I usually only manage to do the challenges for GS each month.

One final question: Does this rule also apply to charity kits sold for only a few weeks or months in the GS store and are then removed forever?

Thanks in advance for reading this message and providing a response.

evamarie (aka mskinsey)

PS: I hope this message does not make me persona non grata at GS. I am truly interested in this quandary.

6. Likes geswho40 liked this post
    missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

Hey darling, I am going to try to answer your questions and inquiries. And you will never be persona non grata at GS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mskinsey View Post
    Hi Ginger,

I was looking for a clarification about old and new kits, designers who have left GS, etc., and lo and behold! I found it! Thanks for explaining what we can use and what not in our challenge layouts. I would like to ask a question or two about these policies, however.

While I can see the point in having these rules, I can also see where they can create problems for GS designers. For example, several designers at GS are quite prolific and therefore are frequently retiring their older products. According to these rules, we won't be able to use them after they are no longer listed in the store. Is that correct? Likewise when store designers go out of business, close their shop at GS, or move to another store, we can use any items we buy from them only up to the end of the month in which they retired or left GS, right?

You may use anything from a current designer even if the products are retired as long as the designer is not retired. Unfortunately, we do have to draw the line where a retired designer is involved though. I know sometimes designers come and go due to things happening in their real life and it gets frustrating for all at times, for all of us!

Personally, I see this as a huge disincentive for purchasing their products. I know that I will no longer purchase any more retiring kits or anything from designers who are going out of business or closing their store at GS. I probably won't purchase any more "Buy My Store" offers either because it happens quite often that these kits are soon retired after the BMS offer has passed. Not always, but sometimes.

BMS's are usually extremely great deals and yes, sometimes they precede a retirement.

One might argue that I will have a lot of great kits on hand to create layouts and albums. Yes, this is true, and it's wonderful to have a lot of stuff to choose from when designing. But I now have a 1Tb EHD that is 3/4s full of zips from dozens of stores and hundreds of designers. As my son is fond of pointing out, "Mom, you have so many designs, you can't possible use them in your lifetime, especially since you only have a few years left." No, he doesn't really say that last part, but he and I are both thinking it.

I also have tons and tons of kits that I may or may not ever use, but I figure I have a lifetime of scrapping that needs done and I will never be able to die because I will always have scrapping that needs done! lol

In actuality, I mostly design digital LOs only for GS challenges these days, and thus I don't want to accumulate any more kits that I can't use because they are no longer offered in the GS store or the designer is no longer with GS. For example, I love the stuff that I bought from Amy Stoffel ... in fact, she's been one of my favorite designers since the first SYTYCD contest. OMG, I recently spent over $40 between GingerScraps and DigiChicks buying a bunch of her kits, yet now I find out that I can't use any of it for GS challenges.

I can say the same about the dozens and dozens of kits I purchased at Inspiration Lane, Scrappity-Doo-Dah, Stuff to Scrap, Groovy Scraps, DigiScrap Addicts, etc., etc., etc. All these stores are closed, along with many others, and no one is asking for LOs made with their products. And, of course, there is always the storage issue. Sure, I can use them any ole time to make layouts and albums, but I only have so much time, and it takes ages for me to make each LO that I make, and so I usually only manage to do the challenges for GS each month.

One final question: Does this rule also apply to charity kits sold for only a few weeks or months in the GS store and are then removed forever?

I am not sure about this answer, but I am venturing to say that as long as one or more of the designers is at GS it should be ok to use.... Ginger???

Thanks in advance for reading this message and providing a response.

evamarie (aka mskinsey)

PS: I hope this message does not make me persona non grata at GS. I am truly interested in this quandary.
    I am sure Ginger will drop by soon to check this thread and to clarify anything that I may have missed. Hugs to you....

8. Thanks Ricki, geswho40, emscraps thanked for this post
    Likes Ricki, emscraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Missi- everything you said was correct.
    Perfect, perfect, perfect

10. Thanks Ricki, missdamsel, emscraps thanked for this post
    Likes Ricki, trina513, emscraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Missi, Thanks so much for taking the time to read thru my mini-thesis (lol!) and answer my questions. I think that I've now got a pretty good handle on what is OK and what isn't, as follows:

1. Both current AND retired kits by a CURRENT designer are OK to use.
    2. Kits produced by a designer who leaves GS are only good to use up to the end of that person's last month at GS.
    3. Charity kits are ok as long as at least one current designer is represented.
    4. GS monthly DDL kits, GS blog hop kits, Gingerbread Ladies' kits, Monthly Mix kits, etc., are ok, too.

Did I leave anything out in the above list?

I'm happy to hear that retired kits are ok as long as the designer is still with GS. I purged a number of retired kits by several
    GS designers that I can put back into their folders now; more than a couple of these kits were my favs.

On a final note, as patrons and members of GS, it's important that we support our favorite designers as well as the site (i.e., store) overall so that everyone will be happy, happy, happy about remaining at GS! Besides giving us lots of cool stuff to scrap with, it also protects our own investment in GS. Right? Right!

12. Likes geswho40 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am suddenly having this message pop up every time I try to upload to the gallery:
    Favorites-web.jpg (exceeds filesize limit)

I'm not doing anything differently than the last time I uploaded, which was, I think, Oct. 28th. And now I am getting frustrated LOL! Any help with whatever I am doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

So, it has been resized at 600x600? Sometimes this has happened to me and I resize to 550x550 and then it takes it. =)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast