Post Thanks / Like

Default A bunch of newbie technical questions - advice requested

Hi! (Big Hello to anyone who remembers me! )

1 - Let me start out by saying that the the title is a half truth. I'm not officially a newbie - not by a long shot, since I started digiscrapping in 2004 - however, so much has changed that I feel like a newbie. I have had to take major breaks b/c life just gets too hectic and I don't have time to scrap. Plus, last time (in 2013) that I had time to devote to scrapping, I was on too many CTs as an advertiser and that left no time to scrap, so it has really been a LONG time since I have truly scrapped. I really miss the designers and the teams, but I'm looking forward to scrapping and taking pics.

In addition, I used to use a very old system (a PowerPC Mac with OS 10.2 and PSCS2) and now have updated my system to a Yosemite iMac and a Wacom pen & touch tablet. I REALLY am learning a LOT over again.
    Also, of note, I am more of a photographer first and scrapper second so here are all my questions:

2 - What PS do you use and why? I picked up PSE13 because it was fairly cheap, but I wonder if it will be enough. Do you use just Elements or do you use the photographer's PSCC or the single-app PSCC or the complete suite PSCC? I have NO plans to design, except to maybe (big maybe) make the occasional odd element that I cannot find anywhere else. Is one able to upgrade to a higher plan for just a month, if needed, and then go back to a lower plan?

3 - I used to use iPhoto, but now they have Photos, which, from what I've been reading, sucks. What Photo Management software do you use and why?

4 - In what non-designing ways do you use your tablet?

5 - What Font Management software do you use?

6 - How do you print your layouts? I used to use my old Canon i9900 printer, but I'm not certain that I can still use it with Yosemite.

7 - Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!!

Signed, Lee

msbrad is online now *STAFF* *Scrapping Survivor* {Lost At Sea} Contestant
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A bunch of newbie technical questions - advice requested

Hi there and welcome to GingerScraps. Happy you have rejoined the digi-world.
    although I've had most all the Adobe programs, I now use just CS5. I'm happy with it and have no desire to use the cloud, until I have to.
    i use ACDSee to organize. Am I caught up....no.
    for printing, persnickety or scrapping simply or Sam's club.
    i edit photos in CS5 or Lightroom.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Michi!

BrightEyes is offline *Scrapping Survivor* {Lost At Sea} Contestant
    Prep Cook
    *I know my way around the kitchen*

Post Thanks / Like

Lee, I used PSE13. If you are not designing, PSE13 has most of what you need for making pages and doing photo editing. Now that I have learned how to use the 'smart objects' in PSE13, I really love it. Now I can size the photos/objects up or down and still have them look sharp. I also have PSE12 installed on my computer, so I can switch back to it if I want to take a step back. I also have Perfect Photo Suite 8 - but rarely need it.

Haven't bought a table yet... but am seriously considering it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back to "digi-land"! =) I have CS5 and access to CC for PS. If you are not trying to design I would stick with elements and not put out the extra money. Many people can do everything they want to be able to for their layouts with elements. You can always download a free 30 day trial of PS to see if you would ever want to do the cloud thing. =) I use ACDsee...LOVE IT! Not only can I edit/tag photos, but I tag my kit previews as well! I have so much stuff I need something to help me find it! I use that to find the tools I need for my designing too. =) Ok, I have a tablet, but I'm a newbie at it and am still trying to figure out how best to use it in my designs so I'm probably not the person to ask on that. I use Font Runner 3. I saw someone else mention it somewhere and it was free so I decided to try it. I don't know if it is the best as it is one of two I've ever used, but I like that I can create my own categories. I use it to organize my CU fonts for designing. I save up my layouts and get them printed into books. I usually wait for a sale from Winkflash as they have a flatrate book sale where you can get a 100-page book for the price of a 20-page book. We are on a single teacher's salary so it is really the only way I can afford it (unless shutterfly offers a *free* book and you pay shipping). I have some of my favorite 12x12's printed and in float frames on my walls. I have printed those at our local Costco for $2.99 each and I recently took advantage of a big sale at Persnickety Prints. I do have a 12x12 paper scrapping album for my daughter so once they are off the wall they go in there. =)

Cookie Jar: Oct|Nov|May|June