Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanksgiving Plans [?]

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. What are your plans? Do you cook or go 'somewhere'.
    Do you have a favorite recipe to share?

We used to go to my brother's. 2 years ago DH and I took a big road trip and had Thanksgiving at the older DD's in Maryland. Last year, a small family dinner at my house.
    We are not sure about this year as yet. DD is working that day, so that means the earliest she would get here is 8pm.
    We've even thought of going to the club for an afternoon buffet.
    m
    Michelle

CindyB is offline *GingerBread Girl*
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair WINNER!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thanksgiving Plans [?]

Thanksgiving isn't a real biggie for my family. It's just "us"...my hubby and kids...so we don't plan a huge meal. We make a turkey and everyone picks their favorite "side"...usually mashed potatoes, stuffing, butternut squash, and yams. I make a chocolate and pumpkin pie for dessert...mmmmm. My son and I run the Buffalo Turkey Trot 8k in the morning...we've been doing it for years...as long as the weather cooperates. I don't like to run in the snow! We bring all the Christmas decorations down from the attic too...we decorate the day after

3. Likes trina513, msbrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This year will be an odd one for me. My parents are away traveling, my sister and her family are going out of town, and my kiddos have the holiday with their dad this year.
    So I will probably celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday or the weekend (when my kiddos are home), no sense in cooking a big meal just for myself on Thanksgiving. Lol.

Hope you all have wonderful celebrations!

5. Likes msbrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No great plans, and I'm a little down about it, tbh. We don't have any actual family near enough to visit, and for most holidays we make do with our "found family" of friends here in town, but Thanksgiving seems to be the one holiday that they are all busy with actual family and it leaves us a little floundering. I have a tiny kitchen that makes it hard for me to cook a big spread for the four of us, but we like the traditional foods so going out to eat has never been very satisfying.

Anyone have ideas for a way to make the day special in a non-traditional way and for us to not feel lonely on the holiday?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from the French part of Canada where we didn't really celebrate Thanksgiving, at least not in my family and it's not big at all in Australia so no plans but I'm enjoying reading yours. Might eat some yams

We have rather small celebrations here anyway as it's just me, hubby and the girls. Hubby has one brother who lives in a home (he's handicapped physically and mentally) and he visits him around each holidays. He used to visit us and stay a few days but in the past few years he's not wanted to at all. My family is all in Canada (+ one cousin in France)... so it's very quiet.

Signature made with
    It's Santa Time by Little Rad Trio

Post Thanks / Like

We're hosting Thanksgiving here at our house... Which I am less then thrilled about. I LOVE having my family around, but they always pull the same thing. We (who have the lowest income in the family) end up buying all the expensive parts of the meals while they show up with cheap sides or rolls and then they leave without helping to clean anything. :/
    I don't want to sound like I'm complaining too much... I am looking forward to getting to make whatever I want to avoid issues with my food allergies...

Post Thanks / Like

A road trip sounds fun! I love those! ;) That's a bummer about your DD working late.

An afternoon buffet could be nice - no clean up! I love cooking but not cleaning up! HA
    Quote Originally Posted by msbrad View Post
    Thanksgiving is just around the corner. What are your plans? Do you cook or go 'somewhere'.
    Do you have a favorite recipe to share?

We used to go to my brother's. 2 years ago DH and I took a big road trip and had Thanksgiving at the older DD's in Maryland. Last year, a small family dinner at my house.
    We are not sure about this year as yet. DD is working that day, so that means the earliest she would get here is 8pm.
    We've even thought of going to the club for an afternoon buffet.
    m

10. Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to my parents' house for lunch. Then my husband's parents' house for dinner. Very low key and simple. I making homemade desserts/pies to bring to both places. Key lime pie, apple crisp, and pecan pie.

It's nice to have a relaxing day with family where we can eat good food, and the kids love running around playing with their cousins.

12. Likes trina513 liked this post
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting how everyone stays busy and most of us really don't want to cook, at least cook much. I'm not a big fan of the kitchen anymore but last night I surprised myself with a new recipe using Asparagus. Plus the chicken was wonderful too.

Here's the asparagus recipe:
    Asparagus with Mushrooms & Cheese [total time 20 min]
    Ingredients:
    1 lb fresh asparagus
    1 t water
    1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
    4 oz shredded cheese
    8 oz fresh presliced portabella mushrooms
    1/4 t pepper
    4 oz lemon herb finishing butter [I made my own]
    Steps-
    Remove tough ends of the asparagus. Combine with 1 t water and microwave [high] 3-4 min.
    or until tender. Drain.
    Meanwhile-slice onion {about 1 c], grate cheese [i bought already grated]
    Preheat large skillet. Add asparagus, mushrooms, onion. Saute until onions begin to soften.
    Add herb butter and cheese until melted. Serve

Green beans work too.
    m
    Michelle

14. Likes emscraps, Colleen liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh - I love cooking and baking! It's so much fun and relaxing. I just wish I had a kitchen fairy for doing the dishes! ;)

16. Likes lorigaud, trina513 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast