Thread: Backups

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backups

Hi All,
    How do you back up all your photos and scrapbook kits? I had a backup drive that was set to back-up every night at 3:am. Checked the drive today and it hasn't backed anything up in months, it just quit working. Now my question is do I get another backup drive or do I send everything off site. I'm scared to death my computer will die and I'll loose everything. Help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backups

Aren't you glad you checked it and found out there was a problem before there was a bigger problem?!
    I'm debating renting storage space in the cloud. In the past, I've purchased EHDs and copied files to it that I wanted to keep safe.

Post Thanks / Like

One designer I know has two ehd. She swappes them over every week and actually stores one in a safe deposit box at the bank, given it's her livelihood.
    I back up on "the cloud" and on an ehd. I used to back up on cds but was told they aren't exactly as reliable as we were led to believe.

I'm glad you found out before something happened!

{sent from my phone using Forum Runner :fiesta:}

Signature made with
    It's Santa Time by Little Rad Trio

Post Thanks / Like

I've lost quite a few EHD's, so I've come to not rely on them anymore. I do have one that I use for Time Machine backups, but mostly I rely on BackBlaze. It's the best $5 a month that I spend. The initial backup may take weeks, months even, but then it is constantly backing up your stuff. I've already had to do a restore from them without any problems.

Here's the link if you want to check it out. First month is free. https://www.backblaze.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh yes, I would be devastated if I had actually lost everything. Still worried about it actually. I have used Dropbox for free but I will need to start paying for more space soon. Thank you for responding.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for responding. I have had disks go bad in the past, so I definitely don't want to go that route and then I would have tons of disks! I'm thinking offsite may be the way to go and maybe another ehd!!

Post Thanks / Like

Donna definitely checking that out $5.00 is cheap for some peace of mind. Thanks for responding.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! I'm sorry your EHD quit working - thank goodness you found it sooner (although not all that soon) than later!

I used to have 2 EHD's AND used Backblaze. One of my EHD's quit working and I have never replaced it - simply because Backblaze is backing everything up for me.

I did have an issue with Backblaze a few months ago though - somehow my EHD had gotten unplugged for awhile - and Backblaze quit backing up anything - thank goodness I discovered it after a few days!

Like you, I think I would be sick if I lost all of my digital kits and photos!

Post Thanks / Like

I just started the habit of backing up some weeks ago (shame on me!) and I'm doing it the easier way I can so I don't procrastinate. All my photos and scrapbooking/designs related are in a external hard drive, I don't place them in my computer hd so it runs smoothly. Then I copy to another external hard drive once a week. I have heard suggestions of having an online space and a external hard drive copy. It's always important to have at least 2 copies, that's what I heard and I believe a very conscious person would do that. Something I aim for the future, I just want to grow the habit of doing it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so I bought another ehd and I'm in the process of downloading Backblaze. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I so appreciate your comments, I'm feeling a little better now. HUGS!