Post Thanks / Like

Default Laptop Recommendations

I am really wanting to get a laptop and I think I might have my husband on board, too. We have a desktop that would still be our primary computer, but I want a laptop for the convenience and mobility of it. It would be used for videos much, mostly scrapbooking, word processing, family history etc. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either. What laptop would you recommend and why? Also, what are the components you can't live without and the ones you don't think are very necessary?
    Last edited by scrappingirl; 10-28-2014 at 05:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Laptop Recommendations

I would like to help you, but I donīt know what products are available in your country.

You should have a look for and good processor, if you are not a gamer in must not be the fastest, but a good one for good multimedia AND for working with your photos / graphic program.
    With an Intel core i5 of the new generation you should have a good one with a "normal" prize.

Than a fast graphiccard - I prefer NViDIA and have an GeForce 840M with own 2GB Ram (makes it much faster for Videos and graphics)

Enough RAM - 8 GB is a must have today!

If you donīt have an external disk, you should have a look for enough space. At least 1000 GB - believe me: you will fill this very fast by doing photos, getting scrapkits and doing Scraps

Think that are the importanst things for scrapping people like us!

Proud CT member of the GingerScrap Designers: SeaTroutScraps, LittleRadTrio, CreatedByJill, ViolaMoni, Lissykay and

3. Thanks scrappingirl thanked for this post
    Likes geswho40, scrappingirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have no clue with specs and stuff. Ha I just know that I love my MacBook. I had HP laptops before my Mac, and they always stopped working on me. I had the worst luck with them! So that's my very uneducated opinion. ;)

Oh - I also knew that I wanted a Mac but had no clue what I needed. My brother seriously shopped around for me and decided what I needed for everything. Yeah, I'm pretty lame. ;)

5. Thanks scrappingirl thanked for this post
    Likes geswho40, scrappingirl liked this post
    Dislikes scrappingirl disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an HP pavilion G6 and it's a great laptop. I got a killer deal on it and am glad I bought it. I agree with Melly, that you do need a ton of space and memory to run all the scrapping programs. I have 8GB Ram and a 500 G hard drive on my laptop. I am definitely going to need an external hard drive (on my Christmas list!) because right now, I store everything on flash drives and have 8 32 G drives that are almost full!

My son has an acer that is good too but he runs Windows 8 which I HATE. It's so hard to use....IMO. I love my Windows 7 lol.

A good sized screen is a must too, especially if you do a lot of scrapbooking on it.

Proud to be creating for
    Seatrout Scraps
    Created by Jill
    and Connie Prince.

7. Likes geswho40 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love my MacBook Pro. I've added a 1T HD and 8 GB RAM, since what it came with was not adequate. You said you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, so this might not be for you. But I can tell you, I've had mine since early 2010. My husband has gone through 3 pc laptops since I've had this one - almost the same costs if you add them up.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is only a 13 inch screen. I couldn't afford a bigger one when I bought it, but I'm hoping that next year I can upgrade to the 15 inch.

I tried to use a PC last year since I won it, but it's true what they say about "once you go MAC, you never go back!" I tried and tried - couldn't do it.

Good luck with your choice.

9. Likes HJsMyles, geswho40, scrappingirl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an HP Envy Touchscreen and I love it!

Lots of hard drive space is a must. The faster processor and more memory, the better PS or your favorite scrapbooking program will run.

It took me awhile to figure out Win 8.1 but now I love it. Combining that with the touchscreen, it's like having an ipad screen on my laptop. The main screen is a lot like you see on an ipad with apps but you have the ability to go to the traditional start up screen too.

11. Thanks scrappingirl thanked for this post
    Likes scrappingirl liked this post