Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I put images into the layers in a template in Gimp?

How do I put images into the layers in a template in Gimp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do I put images into the layers in a template in Gimp?

There are more ways to do that, i use mostly this 2:
    1. Select the layer of the template with the selective colouring tool, then ctrl + i to change the selection, and hit delete on the image you want to crop/place.
    2. If the layer is a rectangle, i just crop the photo/paper for that size, and click not-seen for the template layer.
    Sorry for the not professional expressions, I use my GIMP in Hungarian, and I'm not always sure of the correct English expression. I hope I could help, if not I hope someone will come and help you.

3. Thanks trina513 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

JUST EDITED: I FORGOT #4!!

I use GIMP all the time, so I'll try to explain it to you. It's really easy once you get the hang of it!

After opening the PSD template file in GIMP, locate the photo layer you are replacing the picture with and click on it with your mouse. That way when you can drop your picture right above the photo layer which is where you need it to be to work with it. After dropping your photo into the layer above the photo spot, I always right click on the photo in the layers and choose "add alpha channel". Next, go into your tool box and choose the sizing tool and scroll down in the tool box and click the box that says "keep aspect the same" this will keep the proportions of the picture the same after sizing it. Now you can size your photo to the size you want, but try to make it slightly bigger than the photo spot you are going to put it into.

1. add alpha channel to photo
    2. size photo to the size you want
    3. in layers panel, right click the photo spot you want put your photo into and choose "alpha to selection" in the box that pops up (this will put 'marching ants' over the photo spot)
    4. on your keyboard click CTRL "I" to invert your selection
    5. now click on your photo in the layers panel and on your keyboard press CRTL "X" this will cut out your photo to the shape of the photo spot on the template.
    6. Now I go up to the layers tool bar at the top of GIMP window and choose "autocrop layer" .
    7. On your keyboard click "CTRL" "Shift" and "A" to unselect the photo and get rid of the marching ants.
    8. Now you can delete the photo spot on the template you placed your photo over (atleast this is what I do)
    9. Now use "SAVE AS" to save your work and not change the template for further use.

I hope that helps. It's the easiest way I have found since there isn't much help with GIMP and scrapping on the internet. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help!!

Proudly Creating for Connie Prince, Colie's Corner, & Mad for the Mouse Designs

5. Thanks trina513 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darciedeann View Post
    How do I put images into the layers in a template in Gimp?

I was just wondering how it was going with trying a template! I hope you were able to figure it out from the directions I wrote!

Proudly Creating for Connie Prince, Colie's Corner, & Mad for the Mouse Designs