Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

This year I think most of the summer will be spent playing outside for my boy. He's nine and we finally live in a place and he is at an age where I let him go out on his own and check in with me every hour. There are a ton of boys around and someone is always out. We'll let them have water play and I'll keep ice cream and popsicles on hand. I think it will be a summer to remember for him.

For my daughter, 12, she's looking forward to crafts and sewing and hanging with friends. There are a couple girls here in the neighborhood that come over and they sing and make up dances, LOL. She's going to be babysitting regularly and starting two dance camps in July. So, she'll be busy too.

I'm going to scrap, read and chill, oh, and NOT drive to dance and soccer as often as during the school year, LOL

And for Luv Ewe Designs and April/May Guest for Connie Prince

2. Likes craftytam liked this post
    emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun, Jen!! I miss those times when it was okay to just roam free. I don't even let my kids outside unless there are at least 2 of them...and that's just right on our front lawn.

4. Likes craftytam liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Em. I never let my boys go out by themselves.

6. Likes emscraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Too hot to play outside (over 100F) so we do: summer reading program, swim team, board games, use pool noodle halves for sword fights (make a great noise, but don't hurt), Nerf wars, one ds did music/art/drama camp, public pools are $1/kid here, various hobbies...

8. Likes craftytam, emscraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My boys are 13, 15 and 17. The 17 year old starts work next week as a rec camp counselor; he'll be working 7:30 - 5 and then rehearsing 3 nights per week for a musical he's in in September. Thankfully the camp is only through the 1st week of August, and he has every weekend off. I won't have to find things for him to do!

My youngest will be going to rec camp... most of his friends go, and it's an awesome program, but not at the same school as his brother. He will have every Friday off.

It's my middle son who is the biggest challenge... he would plant himself in front of a screen all day if I let him. He's into landscaping, though, so I'm planning to have him help me do a lot of yardwork, and it will be a good chance for us to spend some quality time together. I'm also looking in to him doing an internship or volunteering at a local garden center. His dad also got him a bow and arrow for his birthday, so we'll be going out and using that (he got him a big target too).

Board games (especially RISK) are always something that they will do together, which is great. Luckily, we live in a neighborhood where there are a bunch of kids, and I am lucky that it is a safe place for them all to play. They still play the traditional games like kick the can, etc.
    We have the Eastern Trail near us, so I also plan to get out biking with the boys too. Hiking is another activity I am planning on, especially since we'll have everyone available on Saturdays. Last summer was kind of a mess because we were going through a divorce... looking forward to a much better one this year!

Love the Pinterest idea, Ginger... I'm going to check that out!

10. Likes craftytam liked this post
    scrappinbella is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Lead Sugar Cookie*

Post Thanks / Like

I have fairly small ones for the summer(grandkids): 6 and 8 yr olds from Arizona(mama deployed)..9 yr old twin girls..and a 5yr old. Yes, they are usually all together here or at Twin Mom Scraps' (auntie) house..we have done all the little kid things, like zoo, park, water park, pool.....but, something new to us was geocaching..we ALL liked it and made for nicely tired kiddos..Geocaching is a good activity for older kids as well! It's a nice family activity also..great app is available at http://www.geocaching.com/

12. Likes craftytam liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 14 year old daughter who would happily sit hidden away in her room watching youtube all day everyday. But that is not so acceptable. So far she has spent a week at a sleepover band camp since she plays flute - and she loved it. She has another week of band day camp coming later in July. In August I'll take her up to Toronto to visit my family for a week. Past that plans may include: zoo trips, exploring fun neighborhoods of Portland, easy day hike/drives along the Columbia Gorge, state fair if we're in town and it's not 100 degrees, a couple days up in Seattle with her friend, I'm going to see if I can find her somewhere to work with clay, friend hang outs when possible. Maybe a cooking camp but don't know if we can fit it amongst other things in August. Thinking about forcing her to come walk in the pool with me at the health club to get her butt moving!
    Smiles,
    Tracey Monette
    blog | pinterest | facebook fanpage

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are very energetic!! When I was raising children--it was before computers--mostly. I think for the second two we did have a computer--and the two of them would play Carmen San Diego but that was about all. They didn't have email accounts, and none of their friends had computers either!!
    We moved to our California home when my two older children were kindergarten and 2nd grade. It was a nice little normal neighborhood in a very small desert community--We live on a kind of dead end road--our block has a road on each end, but our road is only the one block long, so most of our traffic was just for our block of neighbors. It was a quiet little, safe area! mostly!! There were LOTS of kids the age of my children, and the children usually went from house to house and figured out stuff for themselves to play. We'd have picnics for lunches, and when they played in the slip and slide, we had all the kids here--we had a tree house with a swing out there--and it was everything from a spy camp, to a cowboy hide away--and anything else. the playhouse (under the tree house) was well used. We always had a set up little pool for the kids to play in, and one of the neighbors opened up their built in pool to the neighbor kids--so swimming was one of their favorite things to do--when they were a little older. The only stipulation was one of the parents from every family that was swimming had to be there with their kids--(great idea!!) The lady with the pool didn't want to babysit all the kids in the neighborhood all summer!! I certainly didn't blame her!! It was so nice of her to let the kids use the pool. I don't remember the younger two using it as much as my son-and occasionally the oldest daughter--
    We had a 15 year span between the oldest and the youngest--(4 in total) and they usually really entertained themselves!! The two younger ones read a LOT--When the girls got older--I think about 12 they started babysitting for kids in the neighborhood--IF I was home!!--and IF I knew the parents well!! We were pretty strict!! They could only babysit with kids in the neighborhood or for our church families--again, only if I was home to call if they needed help!!
    I was thankful for the safe neighborhood we lived in!! We never had any problems with any of the kids or anything. There is no way if I had kids today that they would be able to have as much freedom as the kids did when we had them!! Our neighborhood has changed so much, and it makes me sad that so much crime and unsavory people have moved into the area. And they are so trashy and disrespectful to other people's property!! --and we've had several home break ins too. It's so sad!! If I was raising kids now, I would have to be much more selective in what the kids could do--and where they could go, and who they could go with!! I admire all your plans!! I hope you all enjoy your summer. We're going to have grandkids here for a couple of weeks, so I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to get ideas on what to do with them while they are here!!
    Oh, our kids DID do vacation bible school at our , and always wen to youth camp with the church kids. They were active in sports --especially my son--the oldest. We live about a block from a school, so they spent a lot of time playing there too--That was when the school property was left open for the neighborhood--now it's locked up tight. But the kids would go up there and play baseball or basketball.
    Last edited by Deanna; 07-07-2014 at 04:34 PM.

15. Likes craftytam liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, we rode our bikes all over the place and entertained ourselves without adult supervision - even played in the school yard near our house.... There is no way I would let my boys do that now. Times sure have changed, huh, Deanna?!

17. Likes emscraps liked this post
    emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Sugar Cookie*

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I totally remember those carefree days! I would tell my kids how I would never be home after lunch, we drank out of the garden hose of random neighbors (eek!), didn't come home until dinner, just roaming the streets on our bike.

Then my smarty pants 14 year old said, but you would never let us do that now! Yup, that's right.

But the other day they all rode their bikes around the neighborhood--my 14, 10, 7 and 18yr old neice. They were very excited about their adventure! I'm thankful we live in a relatively quite neighborhood. Although a few months ago, there was a house a few blocks away that was busted with lots of marijuana and meth! Wow!!

19. Likes craftytam liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast