Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    So...my boys have been off school for 3 weeks now and they are already bored to death! They are 13 & 14 and the only thing they want to do is sit and play games on their computers. We live in an apartment, so we don't have a yard or garage where they can just go out and play around, which makes it hard to get them out.

    What fun things are you doing this summer?



  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    We are in the same situation at my house. I have a 2 and a 4 year old. Our lot backs up to a canal, and we are in the process of making our backyard safe for the kids (aka mommy doesn't want to go jump into the canal to pull out any kids). So playing out in the backyard won't be an option this year. And we don't have sidewalks either and even though we live on a dead end road crazy neighbors drive like they are on the interstate so its hard for me to get the kids out in the front yard. Luckily the kids go to daycare and they play outside a lot there. Looks like mommy is going to get a lot of use of our city park pass and the double stroller this summer.

    As far as summer plans we just finished up a week long vacation to MD to see my husbands brother and his family, so that was our BIG summer vacation. Later on this summer we are planning on taking the kids to a hot air balloon festival, (I think mommy is the most excited about this), we also have a zoo membership for the Detroit Zoo so we'll hit that up a few times, and we just became members of the Henry Ford, so we'll get out to the Henry Ford Village to watch some old time baseball games. The local park has a splash pad that the kids loved last year so we'll take them there.

  3. Likes craftytam liked this post
  4. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California U.S.A
    Posts
    6,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    My "babies" are 14 and 16, yesterday was the first day of summer break for us. And they both wanted to sleep all day. lol.

    But we do have a huge yard and property, so we like to have campouts, water balloon fights, and squirt gun fights.
    We also like to have lazy days, and watch movies and stuff.
    Today is Friday the 13th and we are going to have a scary movie marathon yikes!!

    I have seen a ton of cool pins on Pinterest with lists if summer ideas, you should both totally check that out!

  5. Likes lorigaud, craftytam liked this post
  6. #4
    emscraps's Avatar
    emscraps is offline *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    10,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    The neighbor's kids have been coming over ever since vacation started, lol...

    this is what we did the other day. It's too fun at our house, I need a break!! Lol
    swimming, hanging out, and I drag them hiking with me.

    at least I get lots of pictures!


  7. Likes lorigaud, klgossia, craftytam, trina513 liked this post
  8. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    Sounds like my 17yr old son. Although somehow he watches Netflix and plays online games at the same time. Here is how he is keeping himself entertained when he is not fighting mythical creatures and bad guys:
    - getting his wisdom teeth out this week
    - Boy Scout camp in the mountains for a week
    - Drama camp for a week - they are doing 39 Steps
    - probably going to learn Pointe ballet, just for the fun of it - he just finished his 2nd year of ballet
    - studying Algebra 2 and Trig for a math placement test at the community college
    - figuring out what colleges to apply to and what he wants to study (he is a rising Senior)
    - acting in a play written by a friend
    - working on Boy Scout merit badges
    - planning his Eagle project
    - go bowling (kidsbowlfree.com) - he is not free, but his sister is, so we will get a family pass
    - take a vacation
    - use those museum, zoo, aquarium, and tiger rescue memberships that we have
    - doing family chores - mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, folding socks

    Hey maybe, I should send this list to him!!

  9. Likes craftytam, msbrad liked this post
  10. #6
    msbrad's Avatar
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    17,386
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    I'm quite certain it is difficult to entertain the young ones during the summer reprieve from school. When DD was in that age group, she did Bush Gardens zoo camp [daily for 1 week], lots and lots of dance [well she was a competitive dancer so....],
    trips to the beach, a pool, Busch Gardens.

    For little David, he likes the Y. Thus far only Wiggle Worms and his swim lessons. DD takes him to some play groups too. When I have him, we walk, go to the park, visit Poppy and he entertains the residents.
    m
    Michelle


  11. Likes craftytam liked this post
  12. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    Quote Originally Posted by klgossia View Post
    We are in the same situation at my house. I have a 2 and a 4 year old. Our lot backs up to a canal, and we are in the process of making our backyard safe for the kids (aka mommy doesn't want to go jump into the canal to pull out any kids). So playing out in the backyard won't be an option this year. And we don't have sidewalks either and even though we live on a dead end road crazy neighbors drive like they are on the interstate so its hard for me to get the kids out in the front yard. Luckily the kids go to daycare and they play outside a lot there. Looks like mommy is going to get a lot of use of our city park pass and the double stroller this summer.

    As far as summer plans we just finished up a week long vacation to MD to see my husbands brother and his family, so that was our BIG summer vacation. Later on this summer we are planning on taking the kids to a hot air balloon festival, (I think mommy is the most excited about this), we also have a zoo membership for the Detroit Zoo so we'll hit that up a few times, and we just became members of the Henry Ford, so we'll get out to the Henry Ford Village to watch some old time baseball games. The local park has a splash pad that the kids loved last year so we'll take them there.
    That would be scary with your kids being so young, Kelly. I hope that project gets done quickly! It sounds like you have a lot of fun things planned for the summer. Sometimes I think it was easier when my boys were younger because they didn't complain when I took them to do things ;)



  13. Likes klgossia liked this post
  14. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    Quote Originally Posted by GingerScraps View Post
    My "babies" are 14 and 16, yesterday was the first day of summer break for us. And they both wanted to sleep all day. lol.

    But we do have a huge yard and property, so we like to have campouts, water balloon fights, and squirt gun fights.
    We also like to have lazy days, and watch movies and stuff.
    Today is Friday the 13th and we are going to have a scary movie marathon yikes!!

    I have seen a ton of cool pins on Pinterest with lists if summer ideas, you should both totally check that out!
    That sounds like fun, Ginger!
    I know if we had a large yard (or a yard at all) they would be outside more. They miss that a lot...it's not the same having to drive to a park (they hate doing that!).
    We did do a "Sherlock" marathon... that was fun!



  15. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    Hey, Em... can I come over and play??!



  16. Likes emscraps liked this post
  17. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    2,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: In the Good 'Ole Summer Time

    Quote Originally Posted by BevGoodrich View Post
    Sounds like my 17yr old son. Although somehow he watches Netflix and plays online games at the same time. Here is how he is keeping himself entertained when he is not fighting mythical creatures and bad guys:
    - getting his wisdom teeth out this week
    - Boy Scout camp in the mountains for a week
    - Drama camp for a week - they are doing 39 Steps
    - probably going to learn Pointe ballet, just for the fun of it - he just finished his 2nd year of ballet
    - studying Algebra 2 and Trig for a math placement test at the community college
    - figuring out what colleges to apply to and what he wants to study (he is a rising Senior)
    - acting in a play written by a friend
    - working on Boy Scout merit badges
    - planning his Eagle project
    - go bowling (kidsbowlfree.com) - he is not free, but his sister is, so we will get a family pass
    - take a vacation
    - use those museum, zoo, aquarium, and tiger rescue memberships that we have
    - doing family chores - mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, folding socks

    Hey maybe, I should send this list to him!!
    Sounds like you have quite the list going for your son, Bev!



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •