Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandparents

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grandparents

My Grandpa is celebrating his 100th birthday in 2 weeks! This got me thinking about grandparents...
    My husband's grandparents all passed away when he was young. But, I've been blessed to have my grandparents (on my Mom's side) through most of my adult life. We have lived fairly close all my life. Even though we aren't an emotionally super close family, my Grandparents did have a big impact on my life. I'm so thankful that my kids have all gotten to meet their Great-Grandparents. My Grandma passed away 6 years ago - it was the first death of a close family member for me - that was hard.

Do you still have your grandparents? Were (are) they a big influence in your life?

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grandparents

How wonderful Tammy to be celebrating your Grandpa's 100!

as for me- when I was born, 3 out of 4 were already gone. I have one photo of me with my maternal grandma. I was a baby. Although she passed when I turned 10, my only memory is baseball ( she was quite a fan, as bedridden), and the nursing home smell. I did meet my paternal great grandfather and have a couple pics when I was 2.5. He passed I was 3.

Since we moved south when I was young, I did not have any extended family near.

i feel so blessed my DD knew all 4 of her grandparents and she was old enough to have her memories of them ( plus me and pics). They were quite a part of her life.

now that I have little David, I treasure all the time and take lots of pics. I want to be a part of his life.

my dad is 90. He went fishing today! ( I showed up and took pics)
    m
    Michelle

3. Likes scrappingirl, craftytam, geswho40 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is really special! Happy 100th birthday to your Grandpa! I am older and sort of have the same story as Michi. I don't remember either of my Grandpa's at all, as they died when I was very young. Both of my Grandmothers lived to be 90 though and I have fond memories of both, and funny enough they both loved the Twins, our MN baseball team. Hubby's Great Grandma lived to be 101, and we went to help celebrate. I told her she was the first person I ever knew personally to live to see a 3 digit age, and she chuckled and said, "it ain't what it's cracked up to be", lol. My parents are both 90 though and still get around pretty well, especially my Dad, he seems much younger, and I told him, you only look 80, haaahaha, he laughs and says, well thanks...I think, lol. Grandparents are awesome people! Great thread thanks for starting it, and we want to see pictures of the big celebration ;)

Dagi siggy template, Jec C Chunky Alpha, Aprilisa O'Halloween kit

5. Likes craftytam, msbrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday to your grandpa!

Unfortunately, my parents and grandparents are now gone, but I did have them all in my life for some time and treasure all of the memories. I'm now Nana to 4 (soon to be 5) little ones, and I'm loving it!

7. Thanks craftytam thanked for this post
    Likes geswho40, scrappingirl, msbrad liked this post
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Yay Katherine!
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, Kathryn!
    I'm so looking forward to being a grandma ...patiently waiting... ! 21 year old daughter isn't even dating right now! And, my boys are just 13 & 14.

10. Likes geswho40 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my grandfathers passed away when I was 12, and one of my grandmothers passed away when I was 16. My paternal grandmother lived to be 100, too! She passed away 3 months after she turned 100. That was 3 years ago this month. Unfortunately, we didn't live near any of my grandparents and so we didn't get to see them a lot. We were about 2 hours away, so not really far, but far enough that we didn't get to see them real often.

Because I didn't know my grandparents well, I am quite vigilant to make sure my children have a great relationship with my parents even though we are around 3 hours away from them. They love to be with my parents and I am pretty sure if I would let them, they would just choose to live there!!

That is really exciting that you are celebrating your Grandpa's 100th!! Quite an accomplishment for him!

12. Thanks craftytam thanked for this post
    Likes geswho40 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dana, that's awesome that you make such an effort so your kids know their grandparents! I'll bet your parents appreciate it as much as your kids do

14. Thanks scrappingirl thanked for this post
    CindyB is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair WINNER!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's amazing...100 years is quite the birthday for your Grandpa Tammy!!!

My maternal Grandmother was my only grandparent that was alive to meet my kids...she lived until age 92 and they were quite young 3 and 1 at the time. And unfortunately now my parents and hubby's parents are deceased as well. That makes me sad for my kids, at 12 and 10 without grandparents. I just cherish the memories that we do have of them and try to keep the stories alive for my kids now...it's all I can do.

16. Thanks craftytam thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is sad Cindy and I agree that they are missing out on such a neat relationship that you can only get with a grandparent. As an adult looking back, there is so much I wish I would have asked my Grandparents about their years growing up, the depression, the war, raising children...and can you even begin to imagine all of the hard work they had to do EVERY SINGLE DAY?? Eeeeeesh. Thank goodness for washers, dryers, dishwashers, and sometimes frozen or fast meals, lol.
    I have 2 cassette tapes that I created when I was in college for a project, and now I am so glad I did. I journaled a bunch of questions for my Mom about her as a child, where she went to school and her best memories, chores...you know, just stuff, and now at 90, she has such a hard time remembering anything, that if I were to ask her the same questions, she probably wouldn't be able to answer. My Niece borrowed it for her Son who had to do a family tree type of report for school, and they all listened to both tapes and said it was a great interview and so interesting! Hmmmph, I hold my head high

Dagi siggy template, Jec C Chunky Alpha, Aprilisa O'Halloween kit

18. Thanks craftytam thanked for this post
    Likes craftytam, CindyB, trina513, scrappingirl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast