Post Thanks / Like

Default Reconstructing Amelia-Discussion

Sorry this is a little late. I really wanted to post it a week ago but thought I should wait until mid month but then the 15th went and gone without me even realizing it!

I hope you enjoyed reading Reconstructing Amelia as much as I did. It was such a fast paced book that I couldn't put down.

1. What is Amelia's relationship like with her mother? Why doesn't she share more with Kate? Why are adolescents often so reluctant to talk to their parents about the events in their lives—especially problems they are having with friends?

2. Describe Amelia. Is she a typical teenager? Talk about her friendship with Sylvia. What drew the girls together? What about her relationships with Zadie and Dylan? What made her feel so close to her Internet friend, Ben?

3. Might Amelia's situation have been different if she'd had a larger family around her? What if that family had been larger, but more filled with conflict?

4. Is Kate a good mother? She believes she knows her daughter well, but does she? What does she discover about Amelia that surprises her? What does she discover that confirms her deepest beliefs about Amelia and their relationship?

5. What kind of a support network does Kate have to rely on? Does she bear any blame for the events that occur? Is there any way she could have prevented the tragedy? What about Grace Hall—how much, if any, responsibility does the school bear for Amelia's death? Who can you turn to for help in handling a problem involving your child?

6. Why is being popular so important in adolescence? Has the Internet and social networking added to the pressures teenagers must cope with?

7. What impact does class play in the story? What about sexuality—Amelia's recognition of her own desires? What about Amelia's need to be perfect—her drive to be a good student?

8. Why does such a smart girl like Amelia fall into the trap of the secret clubs? Why isn't she more suspicious of the Magpies and the boys around them? How did her keeping the secret about the Maggies impact her relationship with Sylvia? Why are some children cruel to others? Did your school have a hierarchy or clubs like the Magpies? Where did you fit it?

9. If you have a child, how much do you know about his or her life? How far should parents go to monitor their child's life? Do children have a right to privacy the way adults do? What might someone learn if they tried to "reconstruct" you from your emails, correspondence, texts, tweets, messages, blog posts, and Facebook updates? Does social media make us too connected? What is your opinion of social media—do you think it's a positive development or an erosion of who we are and how we interact?

10. How does the author ratchet up the suspense in the story? What clues does she provide to point you toward the truth—or away from it?

11. Bullying is a major topic across the media and throughout society. Do you believe it is a serious issue, or do you think it's a phase that all children go through? How has the rise of the Internet contributed to the severity of bullying and to our awareness of it? Can we decrease the incidents of bullying? How do we learn to stand up to mean people?

12. Does Kate get closure when she discovers the truth? Where do you think she will go from here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reconstructing Amelia-Discussion

I am trying my hardest to get it finished but this month has been crazy!!! I think I am at 88% ah....so close to the end yet I do not have time to sit and finish I am hoping I can finish it before bed tonight It is great so far and I want to know what happened!! I should be reading instead of writing this but too much noise going on over here!!!

♥ creating for Gingerscraps Site CT ♥

3. Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I finished it!!! I thought it was a great book!!! I had no clue the issues the book would discuss but I feel it did a great job portraying them. I think that Amelia was very mature for her age and I believe that had a lot to do with the fact her mom was not home much due to her job...she could have went down a really bad road if she had wanted to with all the freedom she had. On another note I do not think I could ever keep my child from knowing who their father was...I mean I guess I understand why she did it, but I could not!!! Everyone has the right to know who they belong to even though it would have been the wrong person.....I feel the author did that on purpose so as we were thinking how could she keep that secret?!?..boom it would have been incorrect information anyways so maybe it was better Kate did not tell Amelia.....so much to think and talk about with this book

♥ creating for Gingerscraps Site CT ♥

5. Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tough questions, I'll have to try to get back and answer some (but right now its my scrapping time! LOL)
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery