Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default March's Book - The Ocean at the End of the Lane

I struggled a lot in picking this month's book (even more so than I normally do). I always try so hard to please the masses, while being mindful of pricing and potential book availability at libraries, and personal reading preferences. But I've had quite a few friends read, and review, this book on Goodreads lately, and each left the book sounding so beautiful and captivating. One of the latest reviews by my friend said of the book "It doesn't want to be rushed but rather wants to quietly unfurl and draw you in...and you want to let it."

And with that review, my mind was made up. I want, need, long for books that draw me in and leave me enchanted. And if this book can do that? Then sign me up, please!

So, this month, we're going to read The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (and hope my friends are telling the truth, lol!)

Sussex, England. A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

Forty years earlier, a man committed suicide in a stolen car at this farm at the end of the road. Like a fuse on a firework, his death lit a touchpaper and resonated in unimaginable ways. The darkness was unleashed, something scary and thoroughly incomprehensible to a little boy. And Lettie—magical, comforting, wise beyond her years—promised to protect him, no matter what.

A groundbreaking work from a master, The Ocean at the End of the Lane
    is told with a rare understanding of all that makes us human, and shows the power of stories to reveal and shelter us from the darkness inside and out. It is a stirring, terrifying, and elegiac fable as delicate as a butterfly's wing and as menacing as a knife in the dark.

You can purchase a copy of the e-book through Amazon or Barnes and Noble, check out a copy from your local library, or I have a copy of the epub book that I picked up that I'll gladly share with anyone who can use it. Just send me your email address and I'll send it your way.

I'm off to start on the book right now. I hope it's all it's been promised to be!

2. Likes LLinda liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: March's Book - The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Ohhhh I have read this one very strange is all I will say...I did not want to finish it,but I am one who has to finish a book once I start...I am glad I did because I felt it ended well

♥ creating for Gingerscraps Site CT ♥

Post Thanks / Like

What s an epub book? I have a kindle which I'm still learning to fully utilize (xmas gift this year). Can I read it on the kindle or on the computer? $7.99 seems steep for a price of a kindle book.
    Smiles,
    Tracey Monette
    blog | pinterest | facebook fanpage

Post Thanks / Like

An epub is the Nook version of an e-book. Kindle uses mobi files, but if you're interested, I can see about having my epub file converted to a mobi file for you, so that you can read it on your Kindle.

Post Thanks / Like

Joylynn there is a free program online that will do it in a couple of minutes: http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi if Tracey decides she wants to read along

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that link is FANTASTIC, Jessica! Thank you!

Tracey, I've converted my epub to a mobi file for you (or anyone else who might need it), so if you'd like to read along with us, let me know and I can email the file to you.

8. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to read it, I have a tablet, have checked out ebooks from my library, however I am 54 on the wait list!! I am not sure what my format is...I have epub with the library link but a kindle reader app...is it too much to ask for both until I can ask my kiddo for assistance?!
    [SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

So, I finished the book last night, and WOW! It's certainly different - very different. Caught in the middle of fantasy and reality, with a story so incredibly unbelievable...but that tells more truth about life and people and love and fears than any book I've read in quite a while. I wanted to leave a few quotes, to show you the beauty tucked inside the story, but it's SO hard to pick. I read so many lines not catching the true impact of the words until the sentences were over with and I was left with a "woah!" feeling. I really hope the rest of you love it, too!

“And did I pass?" The face of the old woman on my right was unreadable in the gathering dusk. On my left the younger woman said, "You don't pass or fail at being a person, dear.”
    Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane

*sigh*

And, Shirley...sure! I have no problem sending you both versions. Just PM me your email address, and I'll get them over to you later today!

11. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My husband has read this book and is a fairly good judge of whether I would like a book that he has read so I'm going to see what he says!

13. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well Becky what did you decide based on what your husband told you??? Is anyone else reading along this month???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast