Post Thanks / Like

Default The Promise of Stardust-Discussion

Sorry this is a little late. My kids' 5th birthday is today and their party was this past weekend and I've been really busy! I haven't had a chance to finish the book again (although I am part way through) but I will finish it up before the month is over! I've been in a reading slump and this book has gotten me back into reading with it's captivating story! I hope you enjoyed it! I thought it was a relevant book with the 2 cases recently of a woman being kept on life support due to pregnancy-one in Texas and one in Canada.

1.As a neurosurgeon, Matt immediately realizes that Elle’s brain damage is severe. Why do you think he lets Phil operate? Do you think he betrays Elle by letting Phil do so? What about when Matt decides to keep his wife on life support?

2. Do you think Linney is overstepping her bounds when she opposes Matt’s decision to keep Elle on life support? How much of Linney’s behavior do you think is motivated by her experience as a nurse? Or by guilt over her decision not to intervene when Alice was dying/ suffering?

3. As teenagers, Matt and Elle find themselves about to have a baby. What do you think would have happened if Matt had approached his parents for help? Why doesn’t Matt’s dad, Dennis, do anything when he finds out Elle is pregnant? How do you think Hank would have reacted? Do you think Matt could have gone to one of his older brothers?

4. When Elle miscarries the first time, she says a name is important because it is the only thing they will ever be able to give the baby. Do you think it’s important to give a name to grief?

5. Matt wants to keep the court case private, but it becomes a media circus. How much influence does the media have on events like this? How much should they have? Is their involvement an expression of freedom of speech or is it an invasion of privacy?

6. Matt keeps talking to Elle while she’s in the hospital, even though he knows she can’t hear him. Why do you think he does that?

7. Elle says women are stronger because they can discuss their sadness and men feel as though they have to mask their pain and insecurities. Do you think that’s true?

8. Matt describes Adam as a controlling prick, but at another point Matt describes himself as a controlling spouse with a medical degree. Why would Elle choose two men who, on the surface, are quite different from each other? Or are they more similar than Matt believes?

9. Do you think Elle or Linney actually hastened Alice’s death? Do you think Matt would have actually gone to the authorities with Elle’s diary? Would you have given Alice an extra “dose” to relieve her suffering?

10. Matt tried desperately to resuscitate his and Elle’s stillborn son. How do you think that loss affected Matt? Elle? And, as a doctor, was Matt’s “failure” to save the baby a deeper loss for him?

11. Matt does not hold Christopher in high esteem. What do you think the origin of Matt’s animosity is? Do you think Christopher is aware of Matt’s feelings about him? Was Elle?

12. Why do you think Elle never gave Matt her medical power of attorney? Have you made an advanced directive? Who would you designate to make those decisions for you?

13. At the end of the story, Matt sees a fleeting figure in the trees and for a moment he thinks it is Elle. In the aftermath of loss, have you ever briefly forgotten that your loved one is gone? Do you believe some part of them stays with you forever?

14. In some states, pregnancy invalidates a woman’s advanced directive. Are you familiar with the laws in your state? Would you want to be kept on life support if you were pregnant?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Promise of Stardust-Discussion

I am enjoying the story! I am 71% done...hoping to finish tonight..tomorrow at the latest!

♥ creating for Gingerscraps Site CT ♥

Post Thanks / Like

I was totally held captive by this book! I listened to it on audible, it was just over 10 hours, and I finished it in 2 days. That's a lot of time with my ear buds in lol

I will be back to reply to the discussion questions soon.

One last thing.... It was interesting to hear Elle had APS!! This is the same disease I have. I happen to have a different form, mine was not pregnancy related. I have a very complicated case that involves a variety of blood related illnesses, but APS is my primary trouble maker.
    It is such a rare disease, I gasped when I heard APS! I'm so thankful I didn't have complications with my pregnancies! Thankfully I had my babies prior to all my health problems presenting themselves. They were there, but lying in wait.

APS is a horrible illness! I pray they will find a better treatment... Or even a cure, one day! Maybe this book will bring about some awareness about APS.

Post Thanks / Like

So interesting Ginger. Sorry to hear about your health issues.

I finished reading this book today during lunch (which I never should have taken during my lunch hour as I hold back my tears.). This was just as good as the first time I read it!

5. Thanks GingerScraps thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I finished it a day or so after I started it...life has just been INSANE the past few weeks, on a personal level, and I've yet to find the time to stop and reply to some of the questions posed. I will say I LOVED the book, though, and so glad I read it.

That's one thing I truly love about this Book Club - sometimes I'm presented with books that I wouldn't have exactly chosen to read if I were by myself, but that I end up falling in love with. And, of course, it allows for other lovely members to suggest similar books. Jessica recommended two books that when I read the description of, I thought "uhh...I don't know about this". But, the first book was only 30 pages or so, so I gave it a try...and wound up pouring through both books in about 2 days.

Keep the great books coming - I've still got a TON to read this year!

7. Likes GingerScraps, scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree I have read several books while in this book club that I would not have picked for myself and ended up loving them! This book was one of them. I loved the story and it was one I could not wait to find out what happened, even though I was pretty sure there would be a sad ending. It was very bittersweet!

9. Likes GingerScraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading this the entire month of Feb. Unfortunately, I have put it aside because other books have been needed to go back to the library. I'm on page 326 so I'm almost finished but I feel like it's dragging. I'm struggling finishing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you are not enjoying it Laura I thought it had a good ending and that the story was wrapped up nicely..it was sad, but good...I had to keep reading because I wanted to know what happened with the pregnancy/baby...I am nosy like that cant wait for this months book...I hope there is one

Post Thanks / Like

I finished it finally in the middle of the night. It took me all month. It did pick up at the end.

13. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrapjrlgcp View Post
    I hope there is one
    There is. My son was very sick the past week and a half (turned out to have a rare strain of strep throat with the only symptom being severe stomach cramps) and I'm a good day or two behind on everything! I'll have this month's book posted before I go to bed tonight (have to pick it out first, lol) ;)