Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When did you get your first digital camera?

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineWoodin View Post
    I got my around 1999 or 2000. It was a sony that used the 3 inch floppy disk. I then got a better one that used the memory stick. The sticks cost around $50-$60 for a 128 mb. The cards are a lot cheaper now.
    Katherine, I was so amazed when prices just dropped on memory! They were originally SO expensive... now they are so cheap! I guess that's how all technology is, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missdamsel View Post
    My first digital camera was in 2000, maybe 2001 just a couple weeks before I took Rachel to her first diabetes day camp. The second day there we walked off from one station and forgot the camera and when we went back it was gone. Never saw it again. Hubby was far from impressed!!!

I do not remember when we replaced it, but it was about a year later.

And as far as digitizing, I have scanned nearly all of our pictures and my mom's pictures!! I have a box of negatives, not sure yet what I will do with those.
    I'll never understand someone taking something that is not theirs....if anything, you would think they'd try to find the owner or take it to lost & found.

You're doing amazing with your scanning! I'm just starting and it seems like I'm climbing Mount Everest! I'm working on my Grandpa's photos now, but I have BOXES of pre-digi photos and negatives to sort and scan!

Post Thanks / Like

I got my first digital camera in 2001 and it was a 1mp Olympus camera. It wasn't mine, persae, but my fathers. He lent it to me so I could document my pregnancy and birth of our first child. Shortly after, I broke the lens of the camera and bought another digital camera, which I believe was another Olympus. When I bought the replacement, that is when I stopped taking photos with film. I bought my first DSLR in 2009 which was a Nikon D60. It has since broke and I just replaced it with a Nikon D3200. I would really like to invest in another waterproof camera, to replace my old Olympus Stylus Waterproof Camera that I bought in 2008, but I haven't found a camera that I like---yet!

When we moved my office out of the baby's room, my scanner broke and I've yet to get it fixed. I'm waiting for my father to come down and see if he can fix it, first. But before then, I was scanning photos so I could use them in my digital layouts. My father has started converting his photos over to digital the past year and said when he's done with them, I can have a copy of the photos since he calls me "the family historian" because I like to scrap
    I can't get photobucket to work.
    You know my name
    Neverland Scraps AKA: Wendy

4. Likes craftytam liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
    I got my first digital camera in 2001 and it was a 1mp Olympus camera. It wasn't mine, persae, but my fathers. He lent it to me so I could document my pregnancy and birth of our first child. Shortly after, I broke the lens of the camera and bought another digital camera, which I believe was another Olympus. When I bought the replacement, that is when I stopped taking photos with film. I bought my first DSLR in 2009 which was a Nikon D60. It has since broke and I just replaced it with a Nikon D3200. I would really like to invest in another waterproof camera, to replace my old Olympus Stylus Waterproof Camera that I bought in 2008, but I haven't found a camera that I like---yet!

When we moved my office out of the baby's room, my scanner broke and I've yet to get it fixed. I'm waiting for my father to come down and see if he can fix it, first. But before then, I was scanning photos so I could use them in my digital layouts. My father has started converting his photos over to digital the past year and said when he's done with them, I can have a copy of the photos since he calls me "the family historian" because I like to scrap
    I still use a point-and-shoot camera...well I did until the screen cracked beyond seeing a couple of weeks ago. I've never gotten the hang of a DSLR. I would love to learn - it's on my bucket list...maybe before we start having grandbabies!
    I'm thinking of not buying a new p&s and just using a smart phone for photos.

Post Thanks / Like

I love this thread! i want to brag a bit about my father. He bought his first digital around 1996. You had to hook it up to the TV to see the photos and everyone was so impressed! It used a disc of some sort, but not the current type. At the time, he was 69 years old. He still had his Nikon that he knew how to use! He used to have a darkroom in our basement and developed black and white film while I was growing up. He ended up getting a newer digital camera when they quit making the discs for his. I had an early kodak digital with a zoom, and when it finally broke, i had a hard time finding one with a screen, a zoom, and a viewfinder. There weren't many options out there! I am just too old to use the screen. I still find it hard in a lot of light conditions. I ended up with a Nikon D60 SLR. I asked my husband how we could justify the big price considering i wasn't like my dad, i just didn't think i would use all of the fancy features. He said the biggest difference in it and the point and shoot types was the lens. So we waited for a great sale, and got it. I am so glad i did! What a difference in the photos.
    I still have a ton of my dads negatives and slides to scan. That project was waiting until the grand kids were in school full time- well that is this year Hopefully I will get to it soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one in December 2005 - an Olympus "bridge" digital camera, which I still use today. I also have a Canon 5D Mark though - LOL. The bridge camera is much smaller for when we're at places like amusement parks so I don't haul my big camera around for places like that.

It took me a long time to switch to digital because I was a die hard film person. I grew up from a very young age using "pro" cameras because my dad was a photographer. I had a Canon F1 and a Canon AE-1 for years and I was so against going digital! I was shocked the day my father switched and he raved about it so I made the plunge and of course never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catschwartz View Post
    I love this thread! i want to brag a bit about my father. He bought his first digital around 1996. You had to hook it up to the TV to see the photos and everyone was so impressed! It used a disc of some sort, but not the current type. At the time, he was 69 years old. He still had his Nikon that he knew how to use! He used to have a darkroom in our basement and developed black and white film while I was growing up. He ended up getting a newer digital camera when they quit making the discs for his. I had an early kodak digital with a zoom, and when it finally broke, i had a hard time finding one with a screen, a zoom, and a viewfinder. There weren't many options out there! I am just too old to use the screen. I still find it hard in a lot of light conditions. I ended up with a Nikon D60 SLR. I asked my husband how we could justify the big price considering i wasn't like my dad, i just didn't think i would use all of the fancy features. He said the biggest difference in it and the point and shoot types was the lens. So we waited for a great sale, and got it. I am so glad i did! What a difference in the photos.
    I still have a ton of my dads negatives and slides to scan. That project was waiting until the grand kids were in school full time- well that is this year Hopefully I will get to it soon.
    Wow! You're dad is awesome! It took the "older" people in my family forever to go digital. My aunt, who travels a lot, just switched a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Shortly after my husband bought me my last film camera!!! LOL
    Smiles,
    Tracey Monette
    blog | pinterest | facebook fanpage

Post Thanks / Like

I was obviously behind the times...I didn't get my first p&s digital camera until around 2006!! I got my DSLR in 2009, I think. I hardly use my p&s anymore because it was only a 5 px. I have used my phone quite a bit, but I hate what a pixelated picture or blurry picture it usually takes. I have an iphone 4 and I get some good ones outside if nobody is moving, but go inside or add movement, and it is not great. I am sure it is user error, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong. One my lenses on my DSLR has been broken, though, so that is why I have been using the phone so much. I just got it fixed and get to go pick it up this week sometime, so I am hoping for more good quality photos again!!

As far as scanning, I have done very little....I need to get a new scanner that does a little more a of a quality scan than my scanner now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12