Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: February's book-The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley

I finished Labor Day this morning. It was good, though I do agree that the idea of a woman who rarely leaves the house, has no friends, seems scared or unsure of most everything and everyone...would suddenly agree to take a relative stranger back to her house and let him stay there after finding out he's an escaped convict! Still a cute book, though.

I did NOT like Gone Girl, though. Hopefully your experience will go much better

2. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hated Gone Girl and I don't say that about many books. I read it because it was so popular. Maybe you'll like it better!

4. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What did you girls hate about Gone Girl? Have you read the other books by that author, Gillian Flynn?
    I read Dark Places (soon to be made into a move as well) and Sharp Objects.
    I liked Dark Places the most, but Sharp Objects had some really good twists and turns too!

The 3 books by Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl was definitely my least favorite.... but I didn't hate it. Have any of you read The Silent Wife, by A.S.A Harrison? I head it was the same idea as Gone Girl, but it is said to be more realistic. I have it in my wish list, but not sure if I want to get it or not.

I will let ya all know what my final opinion is about The Goldfinch, I'm almost finished with it. I will say, from what I have "read" so far, it is not a MUST. It is beautifully written, I feel very invested in the characters, and the story is interesting. I'm waiting to see how it all concludes though, the ending could make it or break it for me.

6. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Gone Girl was very, very slow to start, and didn't draw me in very much. I had to really push myself to keep reading it. i didn't think the characters were very likable - and the more you dig into who they really are, I almost despised them. I think Amy is extremely self-centered, and Nick is just scary (the dreams he has of her body are just...icky may be about the only word I can come up with). And, the plot 'twist'? Almost lost me completely, then. I only finished because I really hoped, based on the ratings it had, that there would be good to pull from the book...but, try as I may, I just couldn't find it. :/

I actually added Dark Places to my To Read list a week or so ago, so I am willing to give Gillian Flynn a second chance, lol. Haven't read the other book, but I'll have to check it out!

8. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JoyLynn I have dark places let me know if you want it I agree abt Gone Girl being super slow in the beginning!! I have made it to the twist..not sure what to think yet....

♥ creating for Gingerscraps Site CT ♥

Post Thanks / Like

Ginger I also have The Silent Wife (epub) if you would like me to send/lend it to you let me know!!

♥ creating for Gingerscraps Site CT ♥

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with JoyLynn about the characters. The book swept me up with the drama of the book and the intensity and I HAD to read to whole book-no doubt the author is a good writer. But if I don't like characters (any of them), that immediately makes me dislike the book. To read a book where none of the characters are likable, it's not a good book to me. Just my opinion. Not sure I would read another one by her. But I shouldn't say I would never read another book by her. I hated The Kite Runner and I just read And The Mountains Echoed which is a MUCH better book.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrapjrlgcp View Post
    JoyLynn I have dark places let me know if you want it
    Yes, please! Thank you so much!!

13. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12