Post Thanks / Like

Default A childrens prayer

I hope I will do nothing wrong no by starting this thread, but while I walked through our gallery I found a (really beautiful) layout, but I stopped my comment because I was shocked about the text. Itīs about a childrenīs prayer and one part is:

If I should die before wake, I pray to god my soul to take

Sorry, but is that really something you let your children pray before they go to bed?!?

Okay, I must be honest: I am not a really good christian, but if I would be: thatīs not something I would bet for my children - In my opinion a little child must not go to sleep with thoughts of death...

I know here are many christians and believers, and I really wonīt offend anybody - itīs just my feeling and I would like to hear how you think about that.

Proud CT member of the GingerScrap Designers: SeaTroutScraps, LittleRadTrio, CreatedByJill, ViolaMoni, Lissykay and

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A childrens prayer

It's a line from "The Evening Prayer" and it was printed in The New England Primer, an 18th century reading primer for children in colonial America. Keep in mind, it's from the 1700's.
    I agree with you that the prayer sounds macabre. But at it's origin, it was used when the incidence of death, especially infant mortality, was much more prevalent in society. Then there's the issue of the value system of early American Puritans that this prayer stems from. The Puritans were a strict, austere people and the prayer fit the era.
    Now when we teach our children this prayer, I don't believe we think about how harsh the sentiment behind the words, really is. Kids tend to rattle it off, without much thought, as part of the bedtime ritual, like brushing their teeth and turning on a nightlight.

Post Thanks / Like

I myself was taught this prayer as a child! When I had children I could not bring myself to teach this version and changed that line to "go with me in my dreams tonight and wake me in the morning light" . My grandchildren have all been taught this updated version of the prayer.

4. Likes msbrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your answers - I didnīt think about the age of the prayer - but I know in this time: many people believe when their church say: be always good if you donīt want to go in the fire of the hell.

@bpowersj: love your method to "update" the prayer, that sounds much better!

Proud CT member of the GingerScrap Designers: SeaTroutScraps, LittleRadTrio, CreatedByJill, ViolaMoni, Lissykay and