Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Attachments - January's Book Discussion

This month, we're reading and discussing Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I finished the book last week (started it Wednesday afternoon and finished it Thursday - got hooked and couldn't put it down. I love books like that!). Have you picked up your copy yet? If not, don't worry, there's still time!

Below are some discussion questions to get us started discussing the book. Please don't limit yourself to simply answering these questions, though! Let your impressions of the book lead you to discuss anything you'd like. I can't WAIT to see what you ladies have to stay about the book!

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

1. Who is Lincoln OíNeill, in your opinion? How would you describe his character when we first meet him? What is your opinion of the status of his life?

2. Much of what we learn about Beth Fremont and Jennifer ScribnerĖSnyder comes from their email exchanges. What impression do you get of these two women? What draws you to Bethís character? To Jenniferís? What about their communication attracts Lincoln?

3. Lincolnís job, among other things, is to monitor company email. What is your opinion of Lincolnís job? What ethical dilemmas, if any, did you see for Lincoln? How would you have acted given the same position and why?

4. When we first meet Beth through her correspondence, we hear about her relationship with Chris. How would you describe their relationship? What draws Beth to Chris? How does her relationship with Chris affect Beth?

5. How would you describe the fate of Lincolnís college relationship with Sam? How does that relationship inform his actions throughout the book? How do you relate to Lincolnís experience?

6. What does Lincoln discover about the identity of Bethís ďMy Cute Guy?Ē How does this revelation complicate the story? What is your opinion of how Beth goes about investigating her office crush?

7. Bethís longest email to Jennifer recounts the events of attending her sisterís wedding. What do we learn in that email? What does that email reveal about Beth and what she wants? What effect does this email have on Lincoln?

8. What impact does his brief reunion with Sam have on Lincoln? What significance does the timing of this reunion carry within the story? Would you have handled the same situation differently? How and why?

9. Jennifer is dealt a devastating blow late in the novel. How does this event change her? What is your opinion of Bethís reaction to the news? How do you feel about Lincolnís knowledge of this even

10. Lincoln learns through reading Beth and Jenniferís email that he may have missed his chance with Beth. How would you describe his reaction to this news? What do you think of his ensuing actions following the news?

11. Describe your reaction to the moment between Lincoln and Beth in the movie theater. What strikes you about this moment? Knowing what Beth knows at that point, would you have acted as Beth did?

12. Attachments brings up the interesting notion of ďlove before love at first sight.Ē Do you believe in this idea? Is it possible? What do you see in Beth and Lincolnís future?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Attachments - January's Book Discussion

Ohhh, good questions!
    Wanted to say thank you for picking such a great read! Really enjoyed it!

3. Likes BlueHeartScraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LLinda View Post
    Ohhh, good questions!
    Wanted to say thank you for picking such a great read! Really enjoyed it!
    Aww, thanks hun! Glad you enjoyed it! Hope to see you for following Book Club months!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it okay to answer the questions now, here? Or should we wait for a chat night?

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead and answering here is fine. We've done things a bit different the past few months with holidays and all (and both my husband's and my birthday are this month, so busy busy busy!). Will not be an official chat this month, just this discussion thread, and then we'll see about getting back on track next month.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, allrighty, here goes:
    Talking Point #1 - 1. Lincoln O’Neill, the main character is going through life in bystander mode; as if he were watching his life on tv, instead of actually living and feeling it. He’s spent the last nine years in stasis, quietly mourning his breakup with his high school sweetheart and first love.
    At the beginning of the book, we find him taking an IT job at the local paper working the late evening shift. He monitors the
    employees emails for inappropriate content. He doesn’t like his job and he likes it even less when he begins to regularly read the emails of two female employees, Beth and Jennifer.

I thought the author used an interesting medium to tell the story- sequential emails between the friends. I also thought it was an unusual plot twist to have the main character of a book I would have classified as “chick lit” be a man. My mental picture of Lincoln is a tall, quiet, intelligent man. The kind of guy you see sitting in the mall’s food court and wonder why he’s there alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Lincoln for the most part and I did think it was an odd twist to have the male as the protagonist for a chick lit book (and one that didn't quite work for me). I like how quirky Lincoln was but there were some things that he did that seemed kind of out of the blue for me. I felt like we needed to know about his relationship with Sam to figure out why he is like he is but it seemed odd that he wasn't over her 9 years later! He was a very quiet and introverted person which made pursuing a relationship with Beth seem difficult.

Overall this book was just eh for me. Didn't love it but didn't hate it. I think I'm outgrowing chick lit books!

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED the book! I've always said I'm not one for girly, romantic-filled stories. But, the truth is, I guess I really, really am, lol. I thought the book was adorable, and had me hooked from one of the first few emails between Beth and Jennifer. I so totally want to be their friend!

My two boys have 3 friends over to play today, so I'm only going to answer the first few now (if they'll let me, lol), and then I'll work on the rest later.

Who is Lincoln O’Neill, in your opinion? How would you describe his character when we first meet him? What is your opinion of the status of his life? Poor Lincoln was just sad. I completely understand his feelings of being stuck and sedentary and unmotivated. Yes, I'm sure a good bit of it stemmed from his past relationship with Sam, but his mom and sister are no help, either. I think he feels stuck, unmoving and ready for a change, but unsure of how to go about it.

Much of what we learn about Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner–Snyder comes from their email exchanges. What impression do you get of these two women? What draws you to Beth’s character? To Jennifer’s? What about their communication attracts Lincoln? I absolutely LOVE them, and want to be BFFs with them and have sleep overs and girls nights out and do manicures and pedicures and eat ice cream and laugh together. Their snarky, snippy comments (that were made with love, you can tell) are so right up my alley! I think that's what attracts Lincoln to them, as well. They're funny and goofy and loving and easy and just all over charming in their snippiness. I love it!

Lincoln’s job, among other things, is to monitor company email. What is your opinion of Lincoln’s job? What ethical dilemmas, if any, did you see for Lincoln? How would you have acted given the same position and why? There are people all over America and beyond who do Lincoln's job each day. Is it fun? Probably not, but it is vital. Monitoring email and internet traffic is important for the security of the company. The don't really see any ethical dilemmas with Lincoln's job - neither in his job description nor in his performance. The emails Beth and Jennifer sent were flagged by the company's security system, based on protocols that were set up prior to Lincoln's hiring. Reading the emails tagged in that folder was his responsibility. Should he continue reading them? If they are flagged, yes! I might could see his choosing not to give them a warning as potentially a problem...but they're not really doing anything 'wrong' in their emails, and certainly not using the words that got them flagged in a manner that could be dangerous. So, no problem in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok my review....I wanted more...the whole book was leading up to how these two people fell in love...one by reading the others email and one by just seeing the other around work. I was ok getting to know the background stories, but I felt let down at the end when they finally met and ended up together...I wanted to know more, but it was like the book just basically said and the lived happily ever after and ended! The book was not bad, but if I learned so much about these two people and what brought them together I want to know more about what happened to them once they got together. It was like you had to climb this mountain for them to meet for the first time and then you took three steps on your way down and it was over!

Post Thanks / Like

I started the book really enjoying it but then kind of got tired of the emails with Beth and Jen enjoyed the sass with them. Lincoln was a cute shy but you also yet want to tell him to man up! enjoyed joining the reading club for the first time to read the hook

CT for Wendy Tunison Designs, Memories by Digital Design, Scrappin' Serenity, Leaving a Legacy, Ponytails Designs & Queen Wild Scraps

12. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast