Finding Emma - November Discussion Thread
This month, we're reading and discussing Finding Emma by Steena Holmes. I finished the book a week or two ago (and then went on to read the second book, Emma's Secret, a few days later). Have you picked up your copy, yet? If not, don't worry, there's still time!
Due to the holidays coming up this month and next (and in an attempt to make the GingerScraps Book Club as easy and enjoyable as possible for all), Becky and I are going to be doing a few things different. There will be no chat this month (or next). Instead, we'll be discussing the book in this forum thread as we finish reading. That should hopefully allow us all to participate without worrying about finding time in our busy schedules to devote solely to a chatroom discussion.
Below are 13 discussion questions to get you started discussing the book. Please don't limit yourself to simply answering these questions, though -- let your impression of the book lead you to discuss anything you'd like! Can't WAIT to see what you all say!
1. After Emma’s disappearance, Megan started up the Walk Home Alone program. What do you think was the underlying reason for Megan starting up this program? Is it all the safety of the children, or is there some need to resolve her own guilt?
2. When you are first introduced to Peter, what is your initial reaction to him? Do you see him as a man trying to be the glue to keeping his family together or does he come across as more selfish?
3. Losing a child is every mother’s worst nightmare. Do you think you would react the same way as Megan does or differently? Do you know anyone who has gone through this?
4. When Megan first thought she’d seen Emma at the coffee shop drive-thru, what was your first reaction? How would you have reacted if you were in her shoes? What about if you were that child’s mother and a stranger came up to your child like Megan did?
5. As the story progressed, how did your attitude towards Megan change? Was she a woman that you felt you could sympathize with? Did you agree with Peter and everyone else in her life who felt she’d been so focused on finding Emma that she’s forgotten about everyone else?
6. Dottie is a strong woman with a conflicted past. It becomes evident early on that Dottie has some memory loss. When did you start to wonder that things weren’t as they seem at the farm house?
7. The scene where Peter showed his journal to Megan was crucial, not only to their storyline as a couple, but at showing how Peter was handling Emma’s disappearance. Did that change the way you looked at Peter at all? Did it affect how you viewed Megan and her thoughts about her marriage and her husband?
8. Why do you think that Jack never fought Dottie on the issue of Emmie never leaving the farm? When Jack finds out the truth about Mary, his own daughter, how did you react?
9. When Peter asks Megan to ‘let go’ of Emma, what was your immediate reaction? Was it right of Peter to give Megan the ultimatum of “Emma or me?”
10. The scene Megan witnessed at the cemetery was instrumental in her decision to say goodbye to Emma. How did you feel at that point?
11. When Jack finally admitted to himself that he’d been ignoring the obvious, what were your thoughts? Do you think he purposefully turned a blind eye? Do you think he knew all along that Emmie really wasn’t his granddaughter, or do you feel that Jack really thought this was his second chance?
12. What was your favorite moment of the final scene?
13. Now that you are finished with the story – what are your overall thoughts? What was your favorite scene? What character did you resonate with more? What character did you like least? If there was one thing you would change in the story, what would it have been?