Thread: pta...

Post Thanks / Like

Default pta...

I am at wit ends with the ladies on the pta for my girls school. The principal asked off I helped with the box tops program, so I joined. I offered to help take pictures since I knew I would be at most of the programs... and some how they listed me as the yearbook coordinator. I really don't have time for it but since the lady flaked out I figured I could do it and it will be better than what she did last year. Any who... they won't help take pictures, or help with the book but get mad if I am not at a meeting or I can't be there for something. My FIL has cancer, and we've been helping a lot with that. Today the president messages me saying I need to be at the school for eye exams on the 20 & 21. She didn't even ask! I ended up calling her and saying that I'd have to get back to her because I have family stuff going on. She got an attitude with me... She acted as if I owed her an explanation to her on why I wouldn't be there but I shouldn't have to, do I?

I am so stressed right now, that I am ready to hand over everything but I know they would half do it like everything else and trying to remind myself it's for the kids not them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pta...

That is frustrating. The school where my girls go requires 20 volunteer hours per school year. I make a point to only volunteer in my girls' classes or field trips. I want the time spent with my kids and the activities that effect them.
    Having said that, I would stand your ground. Signing up for ONE THING does NOT require that you be available for EVERYTHING ELSE. What do eye exams have to do with PTA or taking pictures? Nothing. It sounds like she is taking advantage of you.
    Sorry if that came out wrong, but I've been abused before, and I will not go there again.
    Best of luck!

3. Likes crazyT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No, it did not come out wrong because my husband is saying the same exact thing. I guess the school ASKS the PTA to do the eye exams. I refuse to let my kids have their eyes checked through the school, so why am I going to volunteer? Taking the pictures was just for the yearbook. I just think they should be helping with it. I have asked them to do it at one of the performances and no one took the photos. I even made sure my camera was there for them to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom Scraps View Post
    What do eye exams have to do with PTA or taking pictures? Nothing. It sounds like she is taking advantage of you.
    Sorry if that came out wrong, but I've been abused before, and I will not go there again.
    Best of luck!

5. Likes crazyT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your frustration with the PTA. I signed up to help with the PTA and the yearbook, but the lady in charge of the yearbook was a stuck up snob putting it nicely! She told me she was going to be out of town when the kids had their Halloween parade at school last year so I told her I would cover the event. I only had a point and shoot camera but she insisted there was a PTA camera that would be provided for me in the school office. When I got to the school to sign in the secretaries had no idea what camera I was talking about. So the librarian let me use her camera. Little did I know that the sweet (NOT!) yearbook lady had changed her plans and shows up at the parade with this huge professional camera and proceeds to tell me I can stop taking pictures with that camera because they won't be good enough!! WHAT! I continued to take pictures anyway and tried to have a good time with the kids; but it was the last event I took pictures for. Later I saw a copy of the previous yearbooks this lady made--they were all black and white-not one single colored picture, so why the professional camera? I think my 9 yo could have made a nicer year book. That was just one incident. I have since moved to a new school district and haven't signed up for anything yet--not sure I want to! It was too many "clicks" in the PTA and I never felt comfortable around them. It's sad though, because I was also a cheer coach, and those woman were great to work with.

I would stand my ground if I were you. Don't let them walk all over you--you deserve respect too and you are only trying to help; not be hassled. I wish you the best of luck! It's a real shame how some of these parents treat other parents--I thought we were out of high school you know??

Praying for the recovery of your FIL!!

My Blog Digital Layouts by 3BluEyedBabies FB

Proudly creating for Colie's Corner, 4MyBabiesScraps, & True North Scraps

Post Thanks / Like

Lynn, that's how I am feeling with them. They really seem "clicky". Tonight the president wasn't even there and one other girl was telling me they are the same way with her. They aren't even telling her about the events and then say something because she isn't there. It definitely was nice knowing I am not the only one in this group feeling that way.

Love your name btw lol it's my youngest daughters middle name

8. Likes 3BluEyedBabies liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I'm saddened by this It's just not fair, but because WE want to help, we get taken advantage of.
    I've had to resist the urge to sign up for things, just because I don't want to be the "go-to" person to pick up the slack.
    sigh...

Post Thanks / Like

ugh.. this is not a good situation.. so sorry.. all my kids are out of that part of schooling thank heavens!!! I have a hard enough time getting to games, meets and keeping up with their school work etc.. I am on the end of kids though.. my two adopted ones are the only ones home and they are 15.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally do too, this year must be to teach me a lesson lol

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom Scraps View Post
    WOW! I'm saddened by this It's just not fair, but because WE want to help, we get taken advantage of.
    I've had to resist the urge to sign up for things, just because I don't want to be the "go-to" person to pick up the slack.
    sigh...

Post Thanks / Like

I am having a hard time keeping up and I imagine in January it will just get worse since I am taking a few extra college courses. I think 2 - 15 year olds would keep me on my toes at all times lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyT View Post
    ugh.. this is not a good situation.. so sorry.. all my kids are out of that part of schooling thank heavens!!! I have a hard enough time getting to games, meets and keeping up with their school work etc.. I am on the end of kids though.. my two adopted ones are the only ones home and they are 15.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry about this mess!!! I think it happens in alot of schools/activities. I've seen shades of it in several. I'll step up and help out as much as I can... but if I get pushed around... I step as far back as I can lol!! My girls are in high school now... and my son is in college... so thankfully I'm past the PTO drama. It still rears it's head in booster groups though! I guess some 'bullies' never outgrow it

Designing as Keystone Scraps {store} {blog} {facebook} {gallery}