Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop Shadow Settings

I've been curious about this for awhile....I love to see how everyone uses their shadows on their layouts and I know we often use different settings for different papers or elements, but I'm curious. What are your favorite drop shadow settings?

Do you use pre-made drop shadows from someone's store? If so I'd love to hear whose, or do you set your own?

I use Photoshop elements 10, so I don't think I can save my own styles permanently (boo), but I've been playing around lately with my shadow settings to see what works best.

So what shadow settings are your go to settings? Do you use a certain lighting angle? Distance, size, opacity or maybe a color?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts and settings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drop Shadow Settings

I love to use purchased shadow styles - right now I am using some by Traci Stroud. They give a great starting point and are fast to tweak. I like 120 degrees and no more than 50% opacity. I sometimes like to tweak the colors a little bit.

3. Likes crazyT, familyhistoryscrapper liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Itīs difficult to say this in a common way... Different of the programm you use and the page you did.

One is always the same (for me): I never use black for the shadow, itīs so hard. Mostly I use variations of grey or brown (especially on sepia-toned layouts).

And than I orient at reality a little bit: smaller shadows for papers and small thinks, bigger but mostly soft shadows on real flowers and elements. Only a short course of my shadows - but now my daughter waits: wanna look Pirates of the carribean III

SeeYa

Proud CT member of the GingerScrap Designers: SeaTroutScraps, LittleRadTrio, CreatedByJill, ViolaMoni, Lissykay and

5. Likes crazyT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own shadows most of the time. I tend to use a dark shade of whatever element I'm using rather than black all the time. I use small shadows for papers, journal spots (say 8), even smaller for tape (3 ) and larger and more distant for flowers, butterflies, ribbon, etc. Softer shadows for butterflies and harder for ribbon, say.
    Jane
    Happily Designing for Scrap Art Studio

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an older tutorial of mine that might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUSTOIPAek

I have changed a lot over the years on my drop shadows. It seems now I'm in the habit of lowering the opacity of the shadow whereas I never did that before.

8. Thanks crazyT thanked for this post
    Likes msbrad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few presets but never use them. I normally just play with the shadow until I get it the way I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use this one from Wendy Tunison Designs. I use PSE11 which makes it easier to load styles, but in PSE10 there is a way to load them so that they stay & you don't have to do it over and over again--I'm not a techie so I can't tell you how-there *might* be instructions in the kit, but if not, I've seen lots online.
    I love it because it gives 4 different angle options and lots of different element options. I HIGHLY recommend it! It's only $2.50 on sale right now
    http://store.gingerscraps.net/Me-And-My-Shadow.html

11. Thanks crazyT thanked for this post
    Likes gethane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
    I use this one from Wendy Tunison Designs. I use PSE11 which makes it easier to load styles, but in PSE10 there is a way to load them so that they stay & you don't have to do it over and over again--I'm not a techie so I can't tell you how-there *might* be instructions in the kit, but if not, I've seen lots online.
    I love it because it gives 4 different angle options and lots of different element options. I HIGHLY recommend it! It's only $2.50 on sale right now
    http://store.gingerscraps.net/Me-And-My-Shadow.html

Oh I LOVE Wendy's shadows! I use them ALL THE TIME in PSE 11!!

13. Thanks crazyT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh I will have to check Wendy's out!
    I have an awesome set from one of our retired designers Wyld Web Designs.
    I'm excited to play with Wendy's now though!!

15. Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GingerScraps View Post
    Ohhh I will have to check Wendy's out!
    I have an awesome set from one of our retired designers Wyld Web Designs.
    I'm excited to play with Wendy's now though!!
    I was thinking the same thing Ginger, I have Charmaines and I use that a lot, but I'm excited to try out Wendy's!
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast