Legend-December Book Discussion
Due to the holidays coming up this month (and in an attempt to make the GingerScraps' Book Club as easy and enjoyable as possible for all), JoyLynn and I are following the same plan as last month. There will be no chat this month. Instead we'll be discussion the book in this forum thread as we finish reading. That should hopefully allow us all to participate without worrying about finding time in our busy schedules to devote solely to a chatroom discussion.
I just got finished reading Legend by Marie Lu and I just have to say that I am sold! I can't wait to read the next in the series, Prodigy. I hope you liked this book as much as I enjoyed it. There is still plenty of time to read the book-it is a fast read.
Below are discussion questions to get you started discussing the book. Please don't limit yourself to simply answering the question, you can bring up anything that came up while you were reading the book. I can't wait to discuss this book with you!
1. The events of Legend take place over a hundred years in the future. What do you image the United States will be like a century from now? Do you think it could resemble the fractured country in Legend?
2. Part One of Legend is entitled: "The Boy Who Walks in the Light." What does this title say about Day? Consider his alias-why did he choose this name?
3. Day says: "My mother used to hope that I would rise up from my humble roots. Become someone successful, or even famous. I'm famous all right, but I don't think it's what she had in mind" (pg 22). Talk about the ideas of fame and anonymity in the book.
4. What do their relationships with Tess and Thomas mean to Day and June? Was it surprising to learn that Day had a confidant on the run with him? What did you think of Thomas when he was first introduced? Why did June trust Thomas?
5. Although Day and June come from distinctly different backgrounds, how are they alike? Initially, did you guess they'd fall for each other?
6. Rebellion is one of the larger themes in Legend. Who is the bigger rebel, Day or June? What does "rebellion" mean for either character?
7. Is there anything from Day's memories of his childhood that hint at what John will ultimately do for his brother on the day of Day's planned execution?
8. What would Legend have been like if only Day or June narrated the book? If you had to pick a character other than Day or June to narrate Legend, who would it be and why?
9. Despite accepting the mission to track down Day, and despite believing that he killed her brother, why wasn't June able to hate Day?
10. Does the plague represent a more overarching theme in Legend? If so, what?
11. Near the end of Legend we learn that Day's pendant is an American quarter from 1990. Why is this coin symbolic? What other symbols appear in Legend?
12. What do you think the book's title means? Who or what does "legend" refer to?
13. Legendis the first installment of a trilogy. What do you think is in store for Day and June in the next book in the series?
Re: Legend-December Book Discussion
I am SO behind this month! Between finishing exams and two sick kids and trying to finish up the first 8 books in a series (since I borrowed the books from a friend), I haven't even gotten started on this book, yet. Shame, shame! I should have book 8 of the borrowed books finished by mid-week, and then I'll start on Legend. I had already heard great things about it, and your excitement makes me want to read it even more!
I'll be back later this month, I promise!