Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Week 2 - Something Magical *Tribal Council*

My LO for week 2:

Journaling reads: Nothing is more important than life and being able to live it fully. Thanks to a wonderful lady and her family, my niece Krissy is here today and none of us are taking it for granted! Krissy was diagnosed with heart disease when she was only eighteen months old. She required a heart transplant at five and another at eight years of age. Krissy did pretty well medically until she was seventeen and then began yet another journey of hospitalizations related to rejection and congestive heart failure. In June of 2009 she was placed back on the transplant list. She was hospitalized in August and shortly thereafter admitted to the ICU for more intense treatment of additional organ failure, including much needed dialysis. As the days turned into weeks, and the weeks into months, Krissy grew more ill and we became more anxious. Life became something to just get through. In October, Mariee Mena, a former Oklahoma University star softball player, was involved in a motorcycle accident and later succumbed to her head injuries. Her parents knew that Mariee had always wanted to be an organ donor. A few days after the accident, they honored her wish. The night of the transplant surgery was quite foggy and the transplant team could not safely land the plane in Oklahoma. With no thought to their own pain and grief, they agreed to keep Mariee on life support until the fog lifted rather than calling off the surgery. After holding and singing to her all night, the next morning they said goodbye to their beloved daughter. Because of this family's selflessness and unbelievable generosity, Mariee saved Krissy's life as well as the lives of many others - including a twelve year old boy named Curtis who urgently needed new kidneys. Today, we are blessed to have the Mena family in our lives. In addition to meeting with them yearly for Oklahoma University's annual Mariee Mena Memorial Walk, they were able to attend Krissy's wedding and we hope they know that if it wasn't for them, none of us would have seen this event occur. You ask what is magical to me. It's life. Life isn't our due, nor is it our right. It's our gift. We thank Mariee's family for not taking her organs to heaven, because heaven only knows they were needed here.

2. Likes coxabey liked this post
    Dislikes coxabey disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Journaling:
    I love our 'art gallery'. You both have so much fun creating
    items to place on the wall. Anything goes when it comes
    to creating. We have monsters, horses, rockets, pumpkins,
    and more. I have always enjoyed being able to create, so
    it is something special for me to watch (and listen too) your
    two as you create. Sometimes the table is literally covered
    paper, pens, markers and glue. I try to look past the
    mess and all the little paper scraps all over the floor.
    I try to look only at the masterpiece you create. Right
    now, ****, you are into tracing things and writing
    sweet notes for those you care about. I plan to keep
    many of those for the rest of my life. ***, you love
    anything that involves cutting paper and gluing it.
    You are also trying to write some your name as you create.
    My favorite is when you are creating at the table
    together. I love to hear you bounce ideas off of each other and
    help each other with your creations. You both have some great
    imaginations and it is so much fun to see how they come out in
    your creations and so much fun to see them displayed on the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Image is linked and credited

Dear Dad
    I wish time didn’t have to change. I know this isn’t the life you dreamed about or thought you would have. I am happy we get more time with you and that we didn’t lose you that summer night. Thank you for teaching me to serve, love, stand up for what I believe, and most importantly thank you for teaching me to be ME! I know time doesn’t stand still but you are different and there are days I miss the Dad you were while I was growing up. Then there are days you are so funny and tender which helps me remember that you are still YOU! You still love us and tell us what to do. You might not remember where you are or what we are doing but you still remember who you are. I try to teach my kids about you and who you were so they can see the strong and determined man you were. How do I explain you are still you just a little more forgetful and silly. I hope I can one day be as amazing as you are. If only others could forgive and love like you. This life is what we make of it each day not what we remember. As long as we are together we will be happy. The time we have together is the most magical thing we have in this world. Love Teresa

Post Thanks / Like

http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/show...e=bear&cat=793

not sure if the journaling is supposed to be here, but everyone else is doing it...

My Poppa was very sick the last year before he passed away. At one time when he was hospitalized, Emma and Cadence had picked out this little stuffed bear at the store right before we went to visit him. He kept that bear with him, along with a picture that we had done for Mother's Day for my Gram, and it sat beside his bed no matter what. I found out I was expecting in March of 2008. Sadly, Poppa passed away on April 25th. I was so glad that I was able to tell him that he was going to have another Great-Grandchild. My Gram knew how happy he was to be a Great-Granpa yet again. She gave me that same bear back, as a gift to the new baby.

The bear came with us to the hospital and was one of the first things that Brody touched. It stayed with him everywhere he went.

While Brody was a baby, we would always hear him "talking" over the monitor, and when we would go in the room to get him, he would be staring at the bear and would always be so happy. He has slept with that bear every single night since his birth. Even today at almost 5 years old, he needs that bear to go to sleep. He has always had such a special bond with it.

That bear means so much to him, that if someone tries to play with it, he gets really upset and must put him away so he doesn't get hurt. Brody loves his Poppa Bear.

littleradtrio is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Little Rad Trio
    *{Staff} Winner of Survivor-Season 4 *Oz*

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to put the journal in the credits in the gallery, but it kept cutting them off. Here is what it reads:
    It all started back in 1997 at my house in Anoka. I awoke one night to a light tapping sound. I couldn’t figure out where is was coming from and I just wanted to go to sleep. So out came a fan, which drown out the tapping. From that point on, I had used a fan every night to help sleep until I discovered the wonderful gem called a Sound Machine! It has such a light even sound (like a fan), but it’s small (easy to pack in a suitcase). I simply won’t leave home for an overnight trip without it. And those times I don’t have I could cry, as it’s too quiet and I hear EVERYTHING!. It’s amazing how much better I sleep with waking to every little noise throughout the night. I love my little ol’ sound machine so much, I have one in almost every room! Ok maybe not every room.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally finished my layout.

http://gallery.gingerscraps.net/show...recipe&cat=793

Credits:
    Connie Prince -- Baked With Love Kit, Templates, Extra Alphas, Extra Papers

Journaling:
    Would it be my wedding rings, my sewing machine, my new watch; all gifts from my husband? My jewelry from my dad? Music from my growing up years? But none of these has moved me as much as my grandmother's recipes; with many of them written in her own handwriting with her notes.

The family all enjoyed her lemon chicken, watergate salad and corned beef hash. But most of all we loved her jook. It's a chinese rice broth soup, sometimes with chicken or turkey. She started the tradition of serving it on New Year's Eve. After midnight and popping our fireworks, we would come in from the cold to a nice bowl of hot jook. We would dress it up with green onions, pickled cabbage and shoyu to our liking. Then sit down with our cousins to chat about the new year. What a treat!

Since I lived on the mainland and wanted to be able to make the soup, my grandmother gave me her recipe. The recipe is pictured.

We soon started to have jook on Christmas Eve. When my grandmother wasn't able to make the jook, my mother took over the task. She started using the same pot; cooked it over 8 hours, stirring every 1/2 hours.

The aroma of a bowl of hot steamy jook always brings me back to the simpler times, when we tried to stay up late to see Santa or the Easter bunny; when the whole world was right here in our house.

Grandmother's pot is in the photo with my Mom.

Post Thanks / Like

Journaling reads:
    Mom moved to Florida after Dad died three years ago. She was a widow after 70 years of marriage. She doesn't drive so I'm the errand person for her. At Christmas a few years ago she wanted to give me something special. She had been a postmaster before her retirement 30 years ago. She had a stamp collection and Dad had gotten her the "Love" stamp pin. Mom decided to pass it on to me as part of my Christmas gift. She is famous for writing little notes and sticking them on or in objects for us to "find after she's gone". She keeps telling me I have to read the notes. She either puts a little saying on it or just lets us know where and how she got the item. It's amazing how she remember and keeps up with her notes. It's always fun to see where something came from and to know the story behind the item.
    When she gave me the pin she had written on the note how much she appreciated all I and the family had done for her. She acknowledged she was alive due to all our help. Truly she would have not survived in Connecticut all alone. She told me in the note that the pin was from her collection and she wanted me to pin it onto something to remind me of her. I have a stuffed bear collection. I found just the right bear to pin it on. The bear is getting a hug from his rabbit friend and on the wooden heart it says "Some bunny loves you". I thought it was the perfect spot for my special pin. It sits in my living room and every time I see it, I do think of Mom. I'm sure it will be even more special to me once she is gone. Right now we are fortunate to still have her physically in our lives at the age of 92. Love you Mom. I will always treasure my pin and think of you.

Credits:
    Shabbalicious by Keystone Scraps. IMAGE is linked.

I love everyones pages and have loved ready all the heartfelt journaling here. Fantastic pages and what a challenging challenge! Thanks for that.

geswho40 is offline Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

My Journaling wouldn't fit anywhere in the gallery so this is the only spot I can put it.
    Staucia, I had no idea how much my life would change the day I took you home. You were “different“, and so afraid of the world, and I wasn't sure that you would let anyone close enough to you, to bond or have a trusting friendship with you. I contemplated not keeping you, because I wasn't sure that I could give you the love that you needed. Your daddy convinced me that it would all work out OK, and I’m so glad for that, because he was right as rain!
    People had not treated you well as a baby, so trust was not easy for you, and it took a while for you to learn that I would always have your best interests at heart. I’m not even sure the moment it happened, but before I knew it I was crazy about you, and wanted to protect you from anything or anyone that would get in the way of your happiness. I wanted to give you the best life you could have to make up for your sad beginning, but being a new mom to the German Shepherd, I learned too late, that, that was a mistake and I was actually doing more harm than good. You became overly protective of me, and people became afraid of you, and in return, I became fearful that you could potentially hurt someone, if they got too close, or gave any of sign of a threat. That made me so sad, because if others could have known the Staucia that your daddy and I knew, they would love you to pieces. Smart and strong and so beautiful. Others knew how much I loved you, and that you meant the world to me, but no one would ever know the bond that you and I had. You bonded to all of us, me, Daddy and your sister Lucy, the Golden, but I knew that I was the one you chose to love and protect the most in life.
    You were a clown of sorts, and would make us laugh everyday, so quirky and comical.
    You had an enormous love for the Frisbee and decided that anything round would be worthy of catching. You would steal the covers off of anything in your path and drop it at our feet. There was a small tractor tire that you picked up one day, and as heavy as that was, you would even catch that in the air. Balls never had a chance of staying inflated, but you would want to fetch it whether it bounced or not.
    You absolutely LOVED to play, so it saddened me immensely to see you become so sick. Panus and diabetes eventually lead to blindness, and even with all that you had to endure, you still kept that puppy like playfulness, wanting to fetch your Frisbee or ball. You made it work by using your other senses, listening and smelling where the toy landed, and then made your way back to drop it once again at our feet.
    In October of 2010, 2 short months after we lost your sister Lucy, you left us too, and we were both so lost and heartbroken. I wasn't ready to say good-bye to either of you, and I was so incredibly sad, I thought I would never recover.
    The house was so quiet and the silence was deafening. I became so used to caring for you in some way each and everyday, that I didn't know what to do with myself. Everywhere I looked, you were there. I would look at the flattened, beat up footballs and basketballs in the yard and would miss you all over again.
    I saved some of your things, so that when I’m sad, I can still feel close to you in some little way. We planted trees in the honor of you and Lucy, so that you will live on not only in our hearts but in the living world as well.
    You taught me a lot, and I thank you for the wonderful friendship you gave me, and I will treasure every memory I have, and every photo I took. I didn't always know what I was doing, but I hope that you had a good life. I gave you everything I had in my heart, and soul, and there will never be another one like you, because yes, you WERE different. I miss you so very much my sweet girl, and your Mama still loves you dearly!

Made using Owl Be Home by Simple Girl Scraps

Post Thanks / Like

Here is mine, but it WONT let me post my journaling. I tried posting it under the comments, but it only does a few words.

Here is my journaling:
    When I think of the life that God has given me, I can’t help but feel blessed with the many miracles He has given to me, especially in the area of children. Years ago, when Daddy and Mama were first married, Mama wasn’t ready for children-in fact; it was the last thing on her mind. But God had a different plan, one that would give us our first miracle, Madalyn, as a surprise. I remember the day we brought her home from the hospital saying, “I feel like they are going to come chasing after us telling we kidnapped her” all the way to the realization that she was ours asking “what do we do with her now?” We struggled but we figured out how to take care of her. It wasn’t long after, that Daddy and Mama wanted another baby and God provided us with another miracle the following year in late April. The day she was born, it snowed. Baleigh was such an easy baby, slept through the night from the moment we brought her home from the hospital and hardly ever cried. She was an awesome miracle that God had added to our family. Then for many years Mama and Daddy had tried for another miracle, but it wasn’t in God’s timing. Those years went by, some with laughter, some with great sadness until one day we saw our tiny miracle on an ultrasound moving around in Mama’s belly. Tears were shed that day, knowing that God had trusted us with another tiny miracle. Mama’s pregnancy had its up’s and downs, but we always reminded one another to rely on God. Sure enough, almost nine years after Baleigh’s birth, we were granted another miracle, William. God has been good to our family over the years, providing for our family, even when we couldn’t do so ourselves all the way to entrusting us with His children, our miracles. Every day, we look at the children and can’t help but thank God for the blessings and miracles He has provided to our family and continually provides day in and day out. Just as Bible talks about the many blessings God gives us, we should be looking for them, but in our case, we don't have to look far for our blessings as they are a living testament right before our eyes!
    “O taste and see the the Lord is good”
    I can't get photobucket to work.
    You know my name
    Neverland Scraps AKA: Wendy

Post Thanks / Like

I spent a lot of time tweaking this one since it is special to me. I do love how it turned out.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast