Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tornadoes - Yikes!

When I was a child in KY, we actually stood by our 2nd floor sliding glass door and watched the tornado that leveled a neighborhood just a couple miles away. The odd thing was that we didn't realize it was a tornado at the time! It didn't look like a funnel at all, but rather a dark curtain moving across the sky. I think it was a wall tornado. Even after watching a gutter fly off our roof, we still didn't catch on. I think we were very lucky. Anyway, once we found out AFTER it was over that it was a tornado, my mom made us spend the rest of the evening in the basement!

2. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post
    Likes coxabey liked this post
    yabby is online now Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Oklahoma and the opening actually got my heart to race a little. I remember being very afraid many times as a child when the sirens went off...with time I've decided that when it's my time it won't matter if it's a tornado or a car that gets me it will be my time and I'm not so worried anymore. Now my kids are the paranoid ones and my middle kid is shaping up to a junior meteorologist that can read radar better than I can.

made with pieces from Kathy Winters Pet Shop

4. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

wow.. I am in awe of your stories. I have never even been near one and don't think I would ever want to. In Utah we have the earthquake scares, I remember going through one of them that was pretty scary. My great Gran was warming her hands over a coal stove when it hit and it threw her into the stove. It burned her arms very badly because she couldn't get off of the stove. I have been blessed not to be around any type of a natural disaster.

6. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - reading all these posts make me feel really lucky I live in a country that doesn't get tornadoes - we get pretty bad storms & flooding but nothing like this....phew!

8. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about the tornado that hit the cemetery where my husband's mom, grandparents, greatgrandparents, uncles, etc. are buried. It is a small one in the country. Many of the stones were lost and there was no map of the cemetery to know where to put the ones that were tossed about and found back in place. There is a list of the names though.

So my son did that as his Eagle project, replacing the mailbox where the sign in notebook is held, planting trees, working to remove stumps and brush, and making a map and transcribing all the stones of what what left.

Thankfully, my hubby's family stones were unharmed.

Living here in southeast Missouri, the sirens go off all the time and I'm almost immune to them. I'm always the very last person to head to the basement. I'll sit and watch the live radar instead. My middle son is worse than I am... he won't go to basement even if I do!

Post Thanks / Like

My son was involved in one in 2009 during the massive flooding in TN. on a class camping trip in TENTS!!! all were okay but the hand of God touched those kids. Very scary seeing the aftermath!

guess I'm a tad late

11. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post
    MSPeeler is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in North Texas. Too many "close calls" to really mention them all. But the one that I remember most, is when I got my 2 younger brothers and I in the bathtub and carried my twin size mattress into the bathroom and covered the tub!
    I was 12 and my brothers were 9 & 7, we were pretty cramped. When the sirens finally silence, we went outside and saw a lot of debris, but no real damage in our neighborhood. However, my mom and step dad were at work at the time, and were on "lock down" at work (they only worked 1.5 miles from our house) and my mom said that the Tornado went straight through between the house and work and she wasn't able to get home because of all the road debris! She had to go all the way around, like 6-8 miles out of the way just to get home. The only damage other than split trees, blown away fences, and hail damage, was a fedex building that was right in the center of the tornado and had all it's windows shattered.

Luckily, we never had major damage ourselves.

Trixie Scraps is offline *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Trixie Scraps Designs

Post Thanks / Like

We just moved to Olathe, KS this year... but, last year, I gather there was one that hung around here for a couple hours and never really set down... oh, only about 3 or 4 blocks from my home.

I love it here... my aunt, uncle and cousins have lived here close to 30 years and (knock on wood) they've never had one come through Olathe that was anything to write home about. I just hope we continue to be as lucky.

I do have to say, my CT Leader and dear friend Stacy lives down in Oklahoma and there was an evening this spring where one was bearing down right on her neighborhood and I was tracking it on my TV on the weather channel and on my computer via her local news.... I've never been so scared for a friend in all my life. Luckily it lifted or turned and her neighborhood was spared... but until I heard from her, I was a WRECK!!

<<---- Grab my blinkie!

14. Likes yabby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very scary to hear and read the stories. We have not had any tornadoes where we live, but so get some pretty high wind storms that blow down tree, and take roofs off of the houses and knock out the power.

Ponytails is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Ponytails Designs

Post Thanks / Like

Scary stuff! I'm on the West Coast so we're more concerned with earthquakes and tsunamis here. I've only felt a very minor tremor once, but the experts say the BIG ONE could hit any day.
    http://forums.gingerscraps.net/signaturepics/sigpic13501_5.gif

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast