Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Tornadoes - Yikes!

The write-up in challenge 1 (wizard of oz starts with a tornado) got me thinking about how I live in "tornado alley" and yet have been blessed to never have had a real encounter with one yet.

It made me recall this layout, though, I made from a photo we found last year in hubby's grandma's stuff.
    This hubby's grandparent's going through their stuff after the tornado leveled their house.
    We were so moved by finding this photo.

Have you ever had an encounter with a tornado?

If interested, you can read more in the journaling I wrote.

Tornado of 1949, Cape Girardeau by Hummie~, on Flickr

2. Likes crazyT, yabby, trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tornadoes - Yikes!

Yes, very close to my house, but thankfully missed us many times. I have friends that have had extensive damages, no injuries, thankfully, but it sure upsets your life

Glad you have been safe!

4. Likes Hummie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have twice. One time as a young girl, I was visiting my Grandparents in Oklahoma and one came close enough that the sirens wailed and we had to leave our dinner on the table and head to my Uncles storm shelter next door. I remember being very scared and got my socks all muddy and wet because I didn't think we had enough time to put on shoes. It turned out to not come close enough or not touch down, but scary nonetheless.
    The second one was just this year in Sacramento County, California! It was weird seeing the funnel cloud come down here of all places. It did do damage in a neighborhood down the way from me (mostly fences, trees, lawn chairs, etc). I got some interesting pics of it in the sky.

6. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not close to my house or family. But when we lived in TN we had lots all the time.

8. Likes missdamsel, Hummie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We live in tornado alley (North East Oklahoma). We deal with tornadoes every year. Luckily our house has never been hit. My hubby and I helped with tornado relief when the latest big one took out Joplin Missouri, and just a few months ago we hid as a funnel cloud (tornado that isn't on the ground) went over our house. We live in a very rural area, so you know that when the 'local' (over an hour away) news station names the dirt road on either side of your house that you better hide!

10. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post
    Likes yabby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LyllahRaven View Post
    We live in tornado alley (North East Oklahoma). We deal with tornadoes every year. Luckily our house has never been hit. My hubby and I helped with tornado relief when the latest big one took out Joplin Missouri, and just a few months ago we hid as a funnel cloud (tornado that isn't on the ground) went over our house. We live in a very rural area, so you know that when the 'local' (over an hour away) news station names the dirt road on either side of your house that you better hide!
    SCARY!!!!!

trina513 is offline *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *Lead GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a ton of tornado sirens, and some quite close, I remember seeing funnel clouds in middle school on a field trip, scary! I've seen the damage tornados can do (whole groups of trees wiped flat)! They are sure a powerful thing!

And Hummie - WOW! That photo is priceless! What a find!
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

13. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post
    Likes yabby liked this post
    Sarah is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*

Post Thanks / Like

When I was about 10, I was at my grandparents. One went right over the house. Some wind damage on my grandparents' roof, and minimal damage at my parents, but otherwise, we were safe.

A neighbor went through the Joplin one. She gets really jumpy when the weather looks like it could bring another.

15. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in the third grade, we lived in Kansas! (For Really) We had sirens a couple of times. One time I remember specifically, I made my whole family get in the bathroom. They put up with that for about 10 minutes and then we went outside and watched the tornado touch down about 2 miles from where we were living in Fort Levenworth (not at the prison...lol)! Here in South Carolina, we don't get many though we had one a few years ago hit in a neighboring community! Scary stuff!

Created with Fresh Start by Simple Girl Scraps
    Proudly Creating for: Kathy Winters, CathyK Designs, Simple Girl Scraps, Crescent Moon Designs
    Ladybug Scraps, The Scrappy Kat, Little Rad Trio, and Susan Godfrey Designs

17. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post
    msbrad is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

This is what i posted on the linky, but not sure it went.

This is one incredible page! Perfect scrapping... the photo, the journal and the bg.
    m
    Michelle

19. Thanks Hummie thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast