View Poll Results: Which book could you like to discuss for the November book club?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watch Over Me by Tara Sivec

1 12.50%
  • Emma's Secret by Steena Holmes

5 62.50%
  • Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow

2 25.00%
  • The Final Piece by Maggi Myers

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default November Book Club Poll

I always love reading through a ton of books trying to find some for the book club poll. I never know if the books that sound good to me will sound good to anyone else...but, I'm adding all three of these to my To Read list, regardless of how the votes go! :P

Watch Over Me by Tara Sivec

Addison Snow is your typical teenager. She has a family that loves her, friends that make her laugh, and she's wrapped up in the excitement of graduating high school and going off to college to pursue her dream of becoming an author. When her mother, who also happens to be Addison's best friend, dies unexpectedly, her world comes to a crashing halt.
    Death changes everyone...
    To make the pain go away, Addison and her father travel down separate, dark paths. She chooses to end her grief forever, while he drowns his sorrows in the bottom of a bottle. How do you learn to live again when the most important person in your life is gone?
    Addison struggles to pick up the pieces of her life. Instead of getting back to being the carefree teenager she once was, she's stuck handling all of the responsibilities that should have been her father's. She has no time to grieve, no time for emotions, and no time for happiness...until Zander Reinhardt walks in. All it takes is one little handwritten note on a napkin to kick-start her back to life and help her realize that maybe there's more to that life than pain.
    But can it really be that simple? Can she really trust this man who makes her feel alive again for the first time in a year?
    Addison and Zander both have secrets they aren't ready to share. When the truth finally comes out, is it enough to tear them apart or has something bigger than themselves always been watching over them, pushing them together, making sure they both get their happily ever after?

Emma's Secret by Steena Holmes

For two years, Megan, Peter, and their two older daughters, Alexis and Hannah, dream of nothing but being reunited with the family’s youngest child, Emma, who was kidnapped just before her third birthday. When Emma is miraculously found living with an elderly couple just miles from the family’s home, they are hopeful that her return will heal the wounds her disappearance created.
    But Emma is vastly different from the sunny toddler they remember. She barely remembers her parents or her older sisters. She is quiet and withdrawn, and, worst of all, longs for the very people who kidnapped her.
    Megan is consumed with bitterness, while Peter works later and later nights in the company of his gorgeous business partner. And in the middle of everything, Megan’s best friend has become suddenly distant and secretive.
    Then a chance encounter in town leads to a secret that changes everything again for Emma. And Peter must decide between the happiness of his youngest daughter and the trust of his family.

Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow

The circumstances of Molly Marx’s death may be suspicious, but she hasn’t lost her joie de vivre. Newly arrived in the hereafter, aka the Duration, Molly, thirty-five years old, is delighted to discover that she can still keep tabs on those she left behind: Annabel, her beloved four-year-old daughter; Lucy, her combustible twin sister; Kitty, her piece-of-work mother-in-law; Brie, her beautiful and steadfast best friend; and, of course, her husband, Barry, a plastic surgeon with more than a professional interest in many of his female patients. As a bonus, Molly quickly realizes that the afterlife comes with a finely tuned bullshit detector.
    As Molly looks on, her loved ones try to discern whether her death was an accident, suicide, or murder. She was last seen alive leaving for a bike ride through New York City’s Riverside Park; her body was found lying on the bank of the Hudson River. Did a stranger lure Molly to danger? Did she plan to meet someone she thought she could trust? Could she have ended her own life for mysterious reasons, or did she simply lose control of her bike? As the police question her circle of intimates, Molly relives the years and days that led up to her sudden end: her marriage, troubled yet tender; her charmed work life as a magazine decorating editor; and the irresistible colleague to whom she was drawn.
    More than anything, Molly finds herself watching over Annabel – and realizing how motherhood helped to bring out her very best self. As the investigation into her death proceeds, Molly will relive her most precious moments – and take responsibility for the choices in her life.
    Exploring the bonds of fidelity, family, and friendship, and narrated by a memorable and endearing character, The Late, Lamented Molly Marx is a hilarious, deeply moving, and thought-provoking novel that is part mystery, part love story, and all heart.

The Final Piece by Maggi Myers

Life shouldn't be about picking up the pieces. Beth Bradshaw has spent her life hiding from her tragic past. From the moment a trusted family friend steals her innocence until the moment another rescues her, she struggles to just survive. Surrounded by the comfort and protection of her extended family, Beth embarks on a journey of healing far from the horrors of her home. In her darkest moments, she meets a boy named Ryan. For one incredible summer, Ryan shows Beth what it’s like to act her own age. To feel free and let go. If only for a while. Years later, another tragedy threatens to shatter the life Beth has carefully crafted. When faced, yet again, with more pieces to pick up, Beth begins to question what her choices have cost her. Leaving her old life behind, she sets forth on a pilgrimage that will bring her back to the boy she could never forget. He wants to help her pick up the pieces of her life, but is she willing to do what it takes to become whole again? Can she trust him with a piece of herself?

Please note that the prices of these books may go up after this month, so you may want to grab the book before the end of October.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: November Book Club Poll

I'm going to hold off on voting right now as my library only has 1 of the books (the 3rd one) and the first two are too new for interlibrary loan. I am going to investigate if other libraries in the area have some of the other books so that I could check the book out from a different library.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Emma's Secret and Finding Emma (the first book in the series) on my to read list on Goodreads. I just didn't know my library only has Finding Emma.

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaning toward the middle two, but cannot decide. If I pick Emma's Secret I would have to read the first one first..i am just that way

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way Jessica!

Post Thanks / Like

These all look really good! I would have to read the first in the Emma series, too! You can't start in the middle of the story!

7. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I actually just started reading the first book in the Emma series...I will report back my thoughts on it in case anyone wants to know

Post Thanks / Like

Eeks! I don't know how it the world I missed that it was the second book in a series!!!

I'm so sorry!

But, yes, I'll certainly have to check out the first book, too

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think we could do the first in the series instead of the second one for book club?

11. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly!

13. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast