Post Thanks / Like

Default The Fault In Our Stars-September Discussion Thread

Sorry this is late! I haven't even started reading the book for the second time, so these questions are ones I found on the internet!

1. How would you describe the two main characters, Hazel and Gus? Do either of them conform, in behavior or thinking, to what we normally associate with young cancer patients? How do the two differ from one another...and how do their personality traits and interests complement each other?

2. At one point, Hazel says, "Cancer books suck." Is this a book about cancer? Did you have trouble picking up the book to read it? What were you expecting? Were those expectations met...or did the book alter your ideas?

3. Talk about how you experienced this book? Is it too sad, too tragic to contemplate? Or did you find it in some way uplifting?

GingerScraps is online now Survivor *Digi-County Fair* Host
    The Queen
    *GingerBread Lady*
    Designer and Owner of GingerScraps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Fault In Our Stars-September Discussion Thread

I just finished this book, it was beautiful! I will come back to post more of my thoughts later. It is already 5:20am and I have not even gotten to bed! LOL.
    But I just wanted to thank you again for introducing me to a wonderful book!!

1. How would you describe the two main characters, Hazel and Gus? Do either of them conform, in behavior or thinking, to what we normally associate with young cancer patients? How do the two differ from one another...and how do their personality traits and interests complement each other?

2. At one point, Hazel says, "Cancer books suck." Is this a book about cancer? Did you have trouble picking up the book to read it? What were you expecting? Were those expectations met...or did the book alter your ideas?

3. Talk about how you experienced this book? Is it too sad, too tragic to contemplate? Or did you find it in some way uplifting?

Post Thanks / Like

It took me a little while to get into the book but once I did I couldn't put it down. You must have tissues around as I did wind up crying while reading this book.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally finished it, I was a little busy the last few weeks and totally forgot about the book.
    I did however enjoy it a lot!

It is very different from any other book I've read. I've never read a 'cancer book' if this is what we should call it. If this is a 'cancer book' then I don't think it sucks.

I very much enjoyed Hazel and Gus. I could more relate to Hazel but both of them were very realistic to me. I have been crying and smiling with them.

I am very happy the Dutch part wasn't stereotypical but very real. This is my country, that's Amsterdam. It's a portrait I can be proud of. I'm very happy it didn't make the drugs in Amsterdam turn or talk about milk maides. Because those are things that I usually see in movies/tv or read in books. (I have never seen a milk maide in my whole life.)

I did not like Peter van Houten. (yes, that's the only mistake I saw: 'van' is not written with a capital V) And I was very looking forward to the meeting with him. But then again, this made the book much more real: if everything would have been happy and good, it would not have been as good as it was.

5. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post
    scrapjrlgcp is online now *Staff* Survivor *Digi-County Fair*
    Am I the Ultimate Scrapping Survivor?
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you enjoyed the book!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like your view of the part with Peter! I wish he had been nicer but I think you are right that it would have been too perfect. Glad you enjoyed the book!