View Poll Results: Which book could you like to discuss for the October book club?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • When We Were Strangers

2 18.18%
  • Code Name Verity

1 9.09%
  • An Order of Coffee and Tears

2 18.18%
  • Breath of Air

6 54.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default October Book Club Poll

I searched a long time for these books for this poll! I hope you find something that sounds interesting to you!

The poll closes late on September 7th, so make sure to vote today!

When We Were Strangers by Pamela Schoenewaldt
    "If you leave Opi, you'll die with strangers," Irma Vitale's mother always warned.

Even after her beloved mother's passing, 20-year-old Irma longs to stay in her Abruzzo mountain village, plying her needle. But too poor and plain to marry and subject to growing danger in her own home, she risks rough passage to America and workhouse servitude to achieve her dream of making dresses for gentlewomen.

In the raw immigrant quarters and with the help of an entrepreneurial Irish serving girl, ribbon-decked Polish ragman and austere Alsatian dressmaker, Irma begins to stitch together a new life . . . until her peace and self are shattered in the charred remains of the Great Chicago Fire. Enduring a painful recovery, Irma reaches deep within to find that she has even more to offer the world than her remarkable ability with a needle and thread.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
    I have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.

That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmführer von Linden interrogating me again.

He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.

We are a sensational team

An Order of Coffee and Tears by Brian Spangler

Angela’s Diner has the reputation of a safe haven where patrons find a moment of peace as they linger over coffee and tears. For one young runaway, Angela’s is more than a place to tell your tale — it’s a place where with the magic of chicken and waffles, and a little bit of trust, may just save your life.

Gabriella Santiago used to be a typical teenager who enjoyed the usual teenage things. That is until a single tragic day ended who she was and within hours she ran from home, never to look back.

Only when Gabby is cold, hungry and at her lowest, does she find Angela’s Diner. Gabby embraces her new life and the family she has found in the midst of strangers and obscurity.

Acceptance is what she craves, but before long, Gabby realizes she’s not the only one in the diner with something to hide. Her new family has a secret too, and some secrets refuse to stay buried.

Breath of Air by Katie Jennings

Her name was Capri, and she was Air.

She was born with a gift she didn’t understand. A gift so strange, so remarkable that she had kept it secret for as long as she could remember, despising that it made her different when all she wanted was to be normal, to belong. As an orphan, belonging to someone, anyone, would have been an incredible blessing, one she would have given up all that she had just to get a taste of.

But the truth was that she didn’t belong in the orphanage in Virginia, or even in the United States. In fact, she didn’t belong with human beings at all. Because she wasn’t one of them, not really. She was something much more extraordinary.

She could shift the direction of the wind, create billowing clouds out of nothing, and charm birds into dancing on her open palm. She belonged to an elite group of beings, responsible for preserving the balance of nature and the safety of Earth from an underworld that deserved to be feared, and needed to be controlled.

And after years of being lost, she had at last been found, and now the truth of how she had ended up so far from home was becoming horribly clear to her.

But there’s someone who doesn’t want her to return; someone who knows Capri was the only witness to an act of heinous treason and violent murder. And when she begins to search her memories for details of the night she was taken from her home, details that will implicate a killer, she finds herself the unwary target of an otherworldly dark force intent on silencing her by any means possible.

Please note that the prices of these books may go up after this month, so you may want to grab the book before the end of September.

2. Thanks DigiScrapDiva thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: October Book Club Poll

Ooh, that was a hard choice - two of them sounded incredibly good to me!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to open up the voting to see if we get more votes. I would love to see more than 4 people weigh in on our October book!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, boo. I just realized that the last book is not in Illinois Libraries anywhere so I'm going to have to buy the book if it stays in the lead I don't like buying books.

Post Thanks / Like

Becky, I have the last book and can loan it to you through Amazon if it wins. I hate to buy books too! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Voted

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a library user, make sure to check if you can get Breath of Air because I stumped the librarian today because he couldn't find it anywhere! They put in a purchase request but who knows if they will buy it. So you may want to think about that before you vote!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wtunison View Post
    Becky, I have the last book and can loan it to you through Amazon if it wins. I hate to buy books too! LOL
    Thank you so much! I would really appreciate that especially if my library chooses not to purchase it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping for that one because our library doesn't have any of the other 3 and I'd have to buy a book to participate if that one doesn't win. LOL! I just happened to pick that last one up at some point when it was free through Amazon.

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

My library doesn't have it either. It is on Amazon for $2.99 though. We shall see. I hate to buy books as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast