Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

prettyingreen is online now *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do?

sorry if its long and confusing LOL I'm lost too

I've been a stay at home mom for the last 8 years, actually being a mom was really all I wanted to be, when I was little and I imagined my life I wanted to be a lawyer or psychologist, but even then I pictured myself having my children at my desk side or doing the June Cleaver thing full on family breakfast every morning. Life took me in a different direction I ended up studying design and getting pregnant in between, and dedicating my everyday to my babies, my husband, my family. I never finished college because time with my family was/is more important, and I knew we were going to be moving to the country where Graphic Design jobs are few and far between.

Anyways 8 years later, both kids will be in school. We are in a place where it is a need for me to find a part time job, but here is my problem, I don't know what to do, I mean I know I can I know we need, but I feel like I wont be able to be there for my kids. I want to make sure my kids feel they are encouraged and supported.

I'm afraid of losing moments and time with them, right now I am only applying for jobs that will be during their time at school, but I'm afraid I wont get hired because of that limited time available....

blah I think I'm just nervous for them to both be gone

emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do?

I hear ya, Rachel, it's so heart wrenching when we have to go back! When I first started, I went to a temp agency and looked for PT jobs. I work 4 hours/day while the kids are in school. I was really blessed because a few months later, the company hired me as a permanent employee, but still PT. And I am especially blessed because my boss is the most amazing boss ever!! He totally understands when I have to go on field trips, go to school for meetings, or room parent stuff. He doesn't even have kids...or is married!! But he's so understanding!!

HUGS to you, sorry, I don't think I gave any helpful information, but hopes that there are some jobs out there that are flexible to the needs of children. And I only work about 15minutes away, so if the school calls if one of the kids are sick, I can get there in a jiffy. {{HUGS}} Rachel!!

3. Likes violethare liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do what I do! I work at a school. When I first started, I worked 3 hours a day "school term" which means I only worked on the days there is school. Now that my son is older I work more but I still get most of the summer off and the same holidays and breaks. It's the best!!!

I work in the front office but the easiest way in, around here, is working as a para-professional in a special ed class or in child nutrition (the kitchen).

Check out your local school districts website and see if they have any openings.
    Last edited by Lisa; 08-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.

5. Likes violethare liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hugs to you - it is a hard transition to make. I've been fortunate enough to work from home since my DD (13) was born and I know how lucky I am. Maybe you could get a job subbing at the local schools? I know a lot of my friends do that here and it's perfect. Other than that I don't really have any ideas. There are tons of kids who have 2 working parents and I think in a way it's good for them - my daughter is not nearly as independent as she should be for her age and I think it's because I've always been right here... I unwittingly have done more for her than I should have over the years and now it's time for her to grow up a bit, and she's not liking it! LOL

prettyingreen is online now *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much girls, I guess it's good to feel I'm not the only one feeling like this

8. Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a stay at home mom for 17 years now. I never finished college either. I often times feel like working folks and people with degrees frown down upon me for being a stay at home mom. Then my husband tells me that is all in my head and that people probably wish they could be like me. LOL Last year was the first year I had all my kids in school full time and I had always told myself that I would go back to school once that happened....but now I kinda like having all that added free time for myself. If we needed the money though I would totally go find a part-time job that I liked. I like Marie's idea of working at the kids school as a sub maybe even call the school district and work in the lunch room. I know a lot of Mom's that just take the kids lunch card, money or type in the number in the key pad for the kids. Might be worth a try to find something like that if you want the same hours as your kiddo's! GL on your journey!

10. Likes MSPeeler liked this post
    msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

I've always worked and at more than one job. Luckily for me I was in the field of education so my hours were pretty much set. When DD was home daycare and a yr of preschool, DH took most mornings and I picked up most afternoons. It limited the hours she was there.
    Once in elem, she attended the school I worked at, a blessing indeed.

It's tough, I understand that and it was extremely difficult to return to work when she was 6 mo old.

She is now 29, and I'm thrilled with how she 'turned out'. We were both there for all her extra curricular activities. You make it work, and it will.

Hugs to you during this transition.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Hugs Rachel!! I cant believe they're both in school! Crazy! I don't envy where you're at right now - as I've been a SAHM as well and hubby keeps counting down the years till I have to go back to work! :p
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I 2nd the look at the schools around you to see if they need help; if not try some of the local day care type places to see if they need part time help. If you are not looking for a "career" just a way to help bring in some money you could always look at the big box stores since I believe they like part time people.

I know it is hard to go back after being a stay at home mom(I was for a few years) but I looked at it as a way to make more money to enable me to do things with my family (vacations etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Rachel, I don't know what to tell you. I'm going to be facing this same situation soon too. I have so many feelings about it, and to be honest it stresses me out to think about it! ;) lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast