One Breath Away - August Discussion Thread
This month, we're reading One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf. I downloading my copy last week and poured through the book in less than 24 hours (probably about 6-8 hours of actual reading time). It's been a long time since I read a book that fast, but One Breath Away sucked me in hard, and I simply couldn't stop turning the pages! Have you picked up your copy, yet? If not, don't worry, there's still time.
The August Book Club Chat is scheduled for Monday, August 19th, but while we're preparing to share our thoughts in the chatroom, here are a few discussion questions to read over and ponder as you read through the story (or after you're done with it).
Since we had a much shorter time span for this month's book, I'm pulling the lazy card and taking some of the discussion questions directly from the author's website.
- One Breath Away is set in a sudden snow storm. What role does the weather play in the story, both literally and metaphorically?
- One Breath Away is told from multiple points of views. What do we learn about the characters from the perspective of their families? What do we learn about Holly from her father? About Augie from her grandfather? About Mrs. Oliver from Cal? etc.
- The gunman in the story poses a physical threat to the children in Broken Branch and several characters are determined to protect the children—Mrs. Oliver, Meg, Augie. In what other ways do characters try to protect each other? How do they succeed? How do they fail?
- The students at the Broken Branch School have a day to remember. What is your most vivid school memory? What made it so memorable?
- One school. One gunman. Your child. What would you do as a parent if you got that call?