Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default August 2013 Book Club

Hello everyone! With JoyLynn and I taking over book club, we are making a few changes (not scary ones!) and in order to facilitate those changes we picked the August book for you. We will be picking books farther ahead of time so that you have more time to read the book. A poll will be put up shortly to vote on the September book. We hope you don't mind that we picked one book for you. I promise you it is a FABULOUS book!

Our book for August will be....
    One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf
    In her most emotionally charged novel to date, New York Times bestselling author Heather Gudenkauf explores the unspoken events that shape a community, the ties between parents and their children and how the fragile normalcy of our everyday life is so easily shattered.In the midst of a sudden spring snowstorm, an unknown man armed with a gun walks into an elementary school classroom. Outside the school, the town of Broken Branch watches and waits.

Officer Meg Barrett holds the responsibility for the town's children in her hands. Will Thwaite, reluctantly entrusted with the care of his two grandchildren by the daughter who left home years earlier, stands by helplessly and wonders if he has failed his child again. Trapped in her classroom, Evelyn Oliver watches for an opportunity to rescue the children in her care. And thirteen-year-old Augie Baker, already struggling with the aftermath of a terrible accident that has brought her to Broken Branch, will risk her own safety to protect her little brother.

As tension mounts with each passing minute, the hidden fears and grudges of the small town are revealed as the people of Broken Branch race to uncover the identity of the stranger who holds their children hostage.

Our chat discussion will be held on Monday, August 19th at 8 pm CST

Watch for a discussion thread around the 7th or so. The scrap challenge will be posted around the 15th and you will have until the end of the month to complete the challenge.

We look forward to chatting and reading with you!

2. Thanks mamaape thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: August 2013 Book Club

the book sounds very good!!

littleradtrio is online now *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Little Rad Trio
    *{Staff} Winner of Survivor-Season 4 *Oz*

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Sounds like an emotional book. I'm so busy I barely can breathe, but it looks like I'll be squeezing in a book to read too! Luckily I'm heading on a flight soon.

5. Likes BlueHeartScraps, scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I placed a hold on this at the library. But this maybe a hard one for me to read since I now work in a school.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a school as well and it wasn't hard to read. It's not a violent book at all. The summary says that a lone gunman enters the building and holds the students hostage. It's not a school shooting rampage story. It's more about the relationship between people and their emotions during this time. I hope that helps you be more comfortable with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool my book is in at library but have to finish the one I'm reading "The Repeat Year" by Andrea Lochen.... (I'm halfway through)

Post Thanks / Like

My books is ready to pick up from the library! I just finished a different book, so I can actually get the book read and join in this month!

Post Thanks / Like

I need to make sure I can grab this from the library too! Better got on that!

Post Thanks / Like

I started the book last night...and for the first time in a long time, I actually FOUGHT to stay awake at night, because I wanted to read more!!!

Post Thanks / Like

downloaded it and I have started too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast