Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long shot - anyone else here vegan or vegetarian?

Just looking for some fellow veg-heads to swap ideas and recipes with

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Long shot - anyone else here vegan or vegetarian?

DEFINITELY not me! But I am interested in recipes! I want to start doing at least one vegetarian day a week (and one carb-free day a week) just to amp up my/my bf's veggie intake. It's difficult getting started when I'm not used to cooking with restrictions!

Post Thanks / Like

One day a week is a good way to start! Not sure how you feel about black beans, but this recipe is one of my daughter's favorites (and mine obviously - LOL). I actually cut the bean cake recipe in half since it's just the 2 of us but I make a full batch of the salsa because it's sooo good!

Black Bean Cakes with Mango Salsa

Mango Salsa
    2 cups peeled, diced mango
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    1/4 cup finely diced red onion
    1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
    2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1 tsp minced fresh ginger root
    1 tbsp fresh lime juice

Black Bean Cakes
    Two 15 0z cans black beans, rinsed
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1 egg white, slightly beaten
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 tsp ground allspice
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 tbsp olive oil
    Fresh chopped cilantro and lime wedges for garnish (optional)
    preparation
    Salsa: Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl. Set aside

Bean Cakes: Place the beans in a large bowl and coarsely mash them until they stick together. Add the cilantro, onion, egg white, cumin, garlic, allspice and cayenne. Mix until well blended. Divide the mixture into 8 equal parts. Shape into 1/2 inch thick patties. Coat the patties with bread crumbs. Spray both sides with nonstick cooking spray.

Heat the oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the bean cakes and fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once, about 8 minutes total. Serve warm with the mango salsa. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.

4. Likes LinD719, Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa, sounds yummy! My bf looooves black beans so I can see him gobbling this up lol! And the spices are right up my alley.

6. Likes mariewilcox liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Marie. I prefer to call myself a total vegetarian rather than vegan. I still like my leather shoes. I've been went vegan over 20 years ago and have never regretted it. Over the years I've collected a lot of vegan/vegetarian cookbooks, but love to cook from scratch. The black bean burgers look delicious. I would substitute for the egg white. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not vegetarian but do eat a lot of veggies. Right now one of my faves is a riced cauliflower dish with lots of diced veggies, garlic, salt & pepper, hot pepper flakes, garlic chili spice,
    onion and celery fried in coconut oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that sounds yummy Rae - I love using coconut oil to saute - gives a great flavor! I would add some curry too

Post Thanks / Like

Riced cauliflower--yes! My mom makes a "spanish rice" with riced cauliflower and it's seriously delicious, makes me not even miss rice! I like to make it with garlic and butter---mmm MMM!

Rae, your version sounds SO good! I'd like to make that with some chicken. Since I last posted, I went Paleo. I have meat at nearly every meal, but the same goes for veggies, too! Boy, I need to write down that list of stuff and make a cauliflower rice stir-fry some night.

Post Thanks / Like

I eat vegetarian twice a week. Roasted veggies are great. Some of my favorites are kale chips, parsnips, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes. I chop up the veggies and toss with some olive oil and spices. If you add salt use less than normal because the veggies lose moisture and volume. Put the veggies on cookie sheets with sides lined with parchment paper. Pop in a preheated oven (turn on convection if it's an option) and cook for about 15 minutes. Check your veggies and if they need more time, stir and put them back in the oven until they start brown around the edges checking and stirring every 10-15 minutes. The roasting carmelizes the natural sugars in the veggies for an added depth of flavor. If you would like more specific instructions, let me know and I can write them up. The parsnips and sweet potatoes I cut in thin strips and they come out like fries. I also a good recipe for sweet potato salad. Also, if you like butternut squash soup, if you roast the squash rather than boiling, the flavor is more intense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambelleina View Post
    Riced cauliflower--yes! My mom makes a "spanish rice" with riced cauliflower and it's seriously delicious, makes me not even miss rice! I like to make it with garlic and butter---mmm MMM!

Rae, your version sounds SO good! I'd like to make that with some chicken. Since I last posted, I went Paleo. I have meat at nearly every meal, but the same goes for veggies, too! Boy, I need to write down that list of stuff and make a cauliflower rice stir-fry some night.
    Christina, what do you use to "rice" the cauliflower? Our local stores have had such beautiful cauliflowers which I have been roasting but ricing sounds great. The other day when we had grilled tofu, I steamed some finely chopped cabbage. Then I served the tofu on the steamed cabbage and drizzled with yogurt sauce... would also be wonderful with a mango chutney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast