Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calling ALL Dog Parents

right now i do not have the energy to go into it all...but if u r looking at this i'm guessing your furbabies r just that...your BABIES! i got some bad news about one of mine today....he is 12 and has some major back issues from age but apparently from going down the stairs or jumping off the couch cracked a vertebrae. no surgery will work but we r TRYING to help all the pain (if not...well you know, i can't say the words)

he can not get on the couch and the floor is too hard so i'm going to find him a dog bed but was wondering if anyone knew of a good brand for orthopedic issues (preferably with odor protection) something u or someone u know has tried and is worth the money. i'd like to find him a mini couch but probably asking too much there.
    chew resistant would be nice too as the other dogs r gonna wanna eat it.

thanks

guess I'm a tad late

prettyingreen is offline *GingerBread Lady*
    *Designer: Pretty in Green Designs
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Calling ALL Dog Parents

aww poor baby, I hope you can find something, I can't think of anything right now, my dog jump up on everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Awww Jacque ... I totally understand about not even being able to say the words. *sigh*. Our old boy Dillon is getting closer and closer to that time and I'm dreading it, but at least he isn't suffering. I'm so sorry your fur-baby is in pain. That is heart wrenching. A neighbour of mine bought this bed for her old girl. She has a yellow lab that has terrible hip dysplasia and says her dogs loves this bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Orthoped..._petsupplies_1

I don't know how chew proof it is, but the cover is washable.

Good luck sweetie. Big hugs.

Ricki is online now *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Snickerdoodle*
    *GingerScraps Ad Team

Post Thanks / Like

Aw Jacque, how sad! We have only two and I can quite understand. Hope you find something that will help him!

Arlene I still have Dillon's image in my mind. Hug him for me!

[no likes here]

AngelclaudArtroom, SeatroutScraps, GingerScrapsAdTeam, SnickerdoodleDesigns, & Bright Ideas.

5. Thanks dillydoodles thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone...i'm hanging in. we got the materials to make him a ramp to get down the stairs to the yard and working on the bed (thanks arlene that looks like a great one!)

we are working with strong meds for at least the first week. he has been out of pain today but also asleep most of the day and night and will be the rest of the week. then when his body has rested we will work towards lowering the doses and types of meds if possible...relying more on anti inflammatory than pain meds. with any luck we will move to monthly injections. this will be the rest of his life. if he can live pain free (or mostly than we will do what ever we can for him) the sad part is...he would have been ok had he not cracked the vertebrae. so we will see as each day goes by and i will pray a lot...and cry a lot

guess I'm a tad late

7. Thanks dillydoodles thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me so sad for you Jacque, and for your poor baby. My hubby had to build a ramp for Dillon when he started to go blind. He became terrified of stairs. Here's an old layout I made (one of my very first layouts) ... it shows my hubby building Dillon's ramp.

Dillon is 100% blind now and I have to hold him by the collar as he goes up and down the ramp. But I thank God he is not in pain. I'll keep you and your baby in my prayers. Good luck with getting the meds sorted out. I hope your dog gets some relief. Hugs....

Post Thanks / Like

OMG...love the LO but not the reason for it. Just left u some love. I have to say that your way looks easier than our plan. What do you have on the ramp to make it not slippery??? We have to actually put ours OVER a part of the stairs as we have no other access. But that is okay. Yours just looks nicer and easier. and thanks for the support and encouragement

LOL i bought that kit when it first came out so expect a scraplift ;)

guess I'm a tad late

10. Thanks dillydoodles thanked for this post
    Likes dillydoodles liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

and BTW...have no clue what to do about a bed as we need to buy a fairly expensive one for his condition and my other dog just ate the sleeping bag we had down for him ARGHHHHH!!!

guess I'm a tad late

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
    What do you have on the ramp to make it not slippery??? We have to actually put ours OVER a part of the stairs as we have no other access. But that is okay. Yours just looks nicer and easier. and thanks for the support and encouragement

LOL i bought that kit when it first came out so expect a scraplift ;)
    It's Industrial Safety/Anti-Fatigue Matting. We needed something that could take all kinds of weather, winter storms, summer heat, etc, and not be slippery when wet. It was a 4'x4' mat and my hubby cut it in half to make two pieces 2'x4', so when laid on the ramp it was just right --- 2'x8'. He used U-shaped electrical staple/nails to hold it down.

Thanks Jacque ... lift away. It's a super fun kit. I miss Saxon Holt ... I think I have every kit she ever made.

We've had 5 dogs over the years and never have a chewer who destroys things so I have no advice about the bed. Sorry ... that must be frustrating. This is the first time we've had a dog go blind. I actually quit my job 18 months ago to stay home and be his guide human. You do what you have to do, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Aww sorry to hear about your poor fur baby its hard to see them hurt themselves and also to grow old ...I'm not much help with suggestions for a bed either...
    We have a rotty who is ten and his back legs have arthritis, he hurt one of them on his dog bed and refuses to sleep in it. So we have carpet offcuts, a quilt and blankets down on the concrete to stop the cold. We feed him a small can of tuna each night and this seems to help him move around better.
    Hugs and I hope his back heals soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast