View Poll Results: Which book would YOU like to read for September?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • After Life by Rhian Ellis/Nancy Pearl

1 7.14%
  • Twisted by Marjorie Brody

5 35.71%
  • Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

4 28.57%
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

4 28.57%
  • In the Stillness by Andrea Randall

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default September Book Club Poll - Pick Our Next Book! :)

Ooh, I am SO excited to be doing another book club poll! I just LOVE searching Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Goodreads, etc. looking for great new book suggestions. The only problem I have, though, is picking too many books I want to read!

For September's Book Club Poll, I picked out 5 books that I thought sounded incredibly interesting. I hope you find one you'd love to read!

The poll will run the 7th of August, so don't forget to cast your vote before time runs out!!!

----------------------
    After Life
    Naomi Ash was born in New Orleans and raised by her mother, Patsy, a medium who schooled her young daughter in the parlor-trick chicanery of the trade. From Naomi recreating presences with table cloths to providing the voice of the dead by talking through a fan, their act is part theater, part magic, and a little too much playing with the letter of the law. Eventually they must beat a hasty—and forced—retreat from New Orleans, relocating to Train Line, New York.
    A sleepy village founded and inhabited by others with a spiritualist bent, Train Line is populated with card readers, table levitators, and crystal-shop owners. Low-rent “Psychic Faires” are held at the local Holiday Inn, and Patsy’s newest creation, “The Mother Galina Psychic Hour,” is on the local radio station. The town is a curious mix between old school “table rappers” and the New Age, and it is here that Naomi comes of age, learns the trade, and falls in love. But love is not only a many splendored thing—it can be dangerous as well. And for a young woman caught between fraud and truth, between the world of the living and the world of the dead, and between the secrets and lies of her youth, the past and present will come together in a rush of truth and consequence.

Twisted
    Sarah Hausman must hide a secret—even from herself. If she acknowledges the truth, it will destroy everyone she loves.
    Timid fourteen-year-old Sarah wants her controlling mother to stop prying into what happened the night of the freshman dance. Confess to the police? No way. Confide in her mother? Get real. The woman is too busy, too proud, and too jealous of Sarah to really care if her life disintegrates. Besides, her mother will say Sarah is totally to blame for what the boys did—which Sarah believes is true. So she doubly needs to shield the truth. Not just from Momma. But from everyone. Including herself.
    Beautiful, confident, eighteen-year-old Judith Murielle lives the ideal life. She has college plans, respect from family and friends, and a fiancé she adores. But as a mysterious connection pulls her toward Sarah, Judith's perfect world unravels. Acting as Sarah's sole confidante, Judith gains the power to expose her secret. Will the truth be worth the sacrifice? Or will Sarah stop at nothing to keep Judith quiet?

Ender's Game
    In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.
    Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister.
    Is Ender the general Earth needs? But Ender is not the only result of the genetic experiments. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Ender's two older siblings are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Between the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives.

The Fault in Our Stars
    Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.
    Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

In the Stillness
    Natalie is a wife. Natalie is a mother. Natalie is a cutter. Clawing at walls built by resentment, regret, and guilt, Natalie cuts as an escape from a life she never planned. Staying present is only possible when you let go of the past. But, what if the past won't let go of you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: September Book Club Poll - Pick Our Next Book! :)

So funny I just picked up my August book from library and along with that I picked up the fault in our stars as it was on a wait list and was ready.

3. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Too funny! Even if that one isn't chosen for September, you'll have to let me know how you like it. It's been on my To Read list for a while!

Post Thanks / Like

I loved The Fault In Our Stars! Such a good book and such a tear jerker.

6. Thanks DigiScrapDiva thanked for this post
    Likes DigiScrapDiva liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really wanted to vote for Twisted but my library doesn't own it and does not do interlibrary loans on books less then 6 months from its published date.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the one I voted for (though I'd be good with any of them)!

Post Thanks / Like

Only 2 days left to vote in the September Book Club Poll, and the votes are currently tied! Help us pick our September Book by casting your vote now!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much to all that voted for our September book! The poll is now closed!

Our book for the month of September will be: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

You can pick this book up from Barnes and Noble here:
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=9781101569184

from Amazon here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fault-Our-Star...+by+John+Green

or from Audible.com here:
    http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1...5976383&sr=1-1

or, I encourage you to visit your local library to see if they have a copy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

We'll start discussing this book around September 7th, so you should hopefully have plenty of time to locate a copy of the book and start reading. Any questions? Just let me know!

11. Likes DianaB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Twisted is $1.99 for Kindle and $9.99 for Nook!

I have a Nook but I also have software that will change a Kindle book to an epub. Think I'll be using that if the book ends up being Twisted!

Post Thanks / Like

The price for the Nook version obviously went up, then...because when I was choosing books to add to this month's poll, I tried to make sure they were each under $5 for both Nook and Kindle (and they were all the same price for both options). However, the poll ended Wednesday night, and the chosen book was posted directly above your post.

Our book for the month of September will be The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and it's currently $3.99 for both the Nook and the Kindle version.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast