Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any elementary teachers here in this forum?

I need some help ASAP!!!! Once upon a time I was on the team here at GS and had to resign due to starting a Masters degree 18 months ago. For many Master's of Education students, they get a certain number of electives to choose from. For those of us who are not already licensed teachers, we don't get any electives, we get a very quick crash course into teaching methods. I am about to apply to student teach and applications are due in 3 weeks. Rules have recently changed and I just found out that I have exactly 2.5 weeks to take the PRAXIS II. I am literally freaking out! I took pretests and apparently I will only pass the math portion. More reason to freak out. I had originally planned to take it October and felt 2 months would give me enough time to prepare. 2 weeks though? Ugh!

Does anyone have any ideas? I just finished the summer semester from HE--! I seriously thought I was going to get to scrap (only been able to do 3 pages all this year!) and refuel my creativity. I am so so so bummed out.

Please help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any elementary teachers here in this forum?

I'm in California so I had different exams. I had the CBEST and CSETS to take and I had to do them before I started my programs so I'm no help with details. However, since your pretest shows math is okay then ignore that for. now. Spend a few hours reviewing closer to the test. I'd go through the sample test and analyze what you know/don't know and plan your non-studying. You've made it through tough work during your semester. Power through the next couple weeks. You can do it!!!

Find the best prep book and follow their tips.

Good luck!!!
    Kimberly

Please boogie down with this cutie until I finish my siggie

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I don't know what I was typing. I meant plan your studying.
    Kimberly

Please boogie down with this cutie until I finish my siggie

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a tired, old elem teacher. I just competed year 39.....
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy - its been years since taking my Praxis II exam - but I remember thinking it was easy - ha! LOL

And good to see you again for a bit
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

6. Likes jencrook liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading the info on ETS which is the company that sells and creates the PRAXIS. It said that all the content knowledge is stuff I learned in college...well, considering my regular undergrad courses were 18 years ago, it is not at all helpful. I've been working on the social studies portion for the past 5 days and I continue to score 63%...ugh. Basically I need to learn and memorize all amendments, major documents, presidents and dates, geography and history from 1100 ad until now. Let's not even discuss the science and language arts which I only scored 43% and 37 % respectively. I am a reading coach at my job for elementary school and yet I don't know poetry and a million other useless things I haven't needed in my 41 years of existence.

I'm so frustrated...but that's not obvious at all right? In this day and age of technology, why must we be memorizing info? Doctors don't memorize everything, they just know where to find the answers if they need it. As a K-6 teacher, won't I do the same? I can write a 100+ page thesis and yet I cannot pass a dumb content knowledge test. Makes me feel like a real knowledgeable individual. I can guarantee that our children are not being forced to memorize useless information anymore...they are being taught where to find their resources.

Post Thanks / Like

And thanks Trina...it's good to be back for a bit although if you thought it was easy then I am in BIG trouble!

I've been teaching digital scrapbooking classes all summer for some fellow teachers at my school so I have been lurking and teaching beginners how to buy stuff from Gingerscraps. I'm not biased at all right? I've told these poor people that I can't guarantee they won't get virus' from other stores LOL!

9. Thanks trina513 thanked for this post
    Likes GingerScraps, trina513, msbrad, dodgeladee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a ms teacher, but I just wanted to say you are going to be great! Just take one section at a time! You can do it!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I took the Praxis 10 years ago (yikes, I'm not that old!) it was not all that content heavy. Maybe they have changed and added more content. It seems like you should be able to do something to put it off. Maybe more accurately check into if you really have to take it this soon, or if you can retest only the portions you miss.

12. Likes trina513 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jencrook View Post
    And thanks Trina...it's good to be back for a bit although if you thought it was easy then I am in BIG trouble!

I've been teaching digital scrapbooking classes all summer for some fellow teachers at my school so I have been lurking and teaching beginners how to buy stuff from Gingerscraps. I'm not biased at all right? I've told these poor people that I can't guarantee they won't get virus' from other stores LOL!
    LOL! And I always swear the "practice" tests are harder than the actual one!
    I am probably neglecting housework so I can be here... My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast