Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone low carbing it?

Good to see a forum for weight loss/health. I did WW for yrs and lost the weight but always had problems with bloating, discomfort, etc until I went low carb about 3 mths ago. I don't eat much sugar, am gluten free and only eat a bit of GF flour products, no white rice or flour and little potatoes. I eat more fat and savory foods with lots of veggies and fruit. I feel 100% better these days. I try to keep my carbs under 60 a day. I think my diet most closely follows South Beach but I've tweaked it to suit my lifestyle.

Anyone else eat low carb?

emscraps is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone low carbing it?

I don't, but I'm leaning toward it. I'm really trying to lose weight right now. I've been on a salad kick and I've been jogging/hiking a bit since March, but it doesn't seem to be working. I haven't lost any weight the past 3 months! UGH. I'm thinking of joining WW or Jenny Craig.

Were you able to keep the weight off after WW (except for the bloating)??

Post Thanks / Like

Twice I lost 25-40 lbs but then put it back on. The past 2 yrs I've kept it steady, within 5 lbs or so but had headaches, bloating, stomach flab, occasional upset stomach cramps and gastro problems. I went off wheat and noticed a difference within less than a wk. So went gluten free. Felt better but still had some bloating and flabby stomach even though I work out 2-3 times a wk with weights and doing core exercises, plus going to zumba. So then I read about lower carb diets and tried it about 3 mths ago. For me, that was the golden ticket. I dropped another 5 lbs, started burning off the stomach flab and feel better with more energy, no stomach problems and don't have the crazy food cravings that I used to get. It is definitely the best diet for me. I don't each much sugar, GF flour, rice or potato and eat much cleaner than I ever used to (very little packaged foods), eat tons of veggies and a moderate amount of fruit. I eat chocolate, but usually dark chocolate and don't use artificial sweeteners (use Stevia, plant based sweetener) in my coffee/tea. I buy Stevia flavored liquid to put a few drops in my water and find I drink a ton more water now b/c I enjoy it more. My daughter had packed on about 20 lbs once she hit her late 20's and hadn't been able to lose it. She got a gym membership to go with me for weight lifting and core classes so dropped a bit of weight but still remained pudgy and mid section heavy. She became very interested in my diet so she tried low carbing it for the last 6 wks or so. She's dropped 15 lbs and losing the belly flab. She's almost back to her normal weight that she was 10 yrs ago. So, yes, WW does work b/c the basic principle of calories in, calories out is the basis of any diet and they provide great support and motivation. But....I needed more. They endorse way too much processed food, artificial sweeteners, carbs and snacks and that always seemed to sabotage me eventually. But for many they do just fine on WW. Not everyone can low carb it either. It's not easy giving up some foods you love...but I was able to replace them with other foods that I love now. I eat a lot of avocado, bacon, full fat dressing (mixed with plain greek yogurt), larger portions of meat and eat a lot more beans and nuts than I ever used to. I roast chickpeas with oil and spices and love to snack on those. If you try low carbing it, be prepared to miss those carbs for the first week or two or even a bit longer but most people (like me) say they get over the craving and don't really care about carbs once they get past that initial detox. Feel free to talk here or message me if you have any questions.

4. Thanks emscraps thanked for this post
    *Sugar Cookie*

Post Thanks / Like

That was great advice, thank you! I just realized I don't know your name, it's not in your intro?

I'll probably PM you after this weekend, it's DD's bday, it's been busy, busy. I want to be able to concentrate and start fresh. THANK YOU!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great wkend Em and yes, chat with me anytime if you have questions about low carb. Thx for pointing out about the siggy. I put my name in the signature. I'll have to do up an image siggy over the wkend for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rae,
    My hubby and I have been low carb for almost 2 years. He's lost approximately 70 lbs and I've lost 65. It's the best thing we've ever done. :-) The most exciting thing about our new life style is that he is no longer insulin dependent for the first time in about 15 years. That has really made it all worthwhile. After experiencing a very stressful time in our lives, we both gained weight due to pure eating for comfort. We finally hit the wall one day and said, enough is enough, we need to make a change so we drastically changed our diet. We've gradually added back more carbs now but we still don't keep pasta, rice, snack foods, potatoes and other starchy veggies or anything sugary in our pantry and honestly, we really don't miss it anymore. After about 9 months, we joined our local YMCA, which has made it possible for us to get more exercise and burn off those additional carbs that we allow ourselves. Our weight loss has slowed at this point but we feel so much better.

Mashed cauliflower is our go to recipe for comfort food these days. Love that stuff. We can't imagine every going back to potatoes at this point.
    My Store

8. Likes emscraps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy - how inspiring! I'm not really missing the grains and starch now. My cravings are pretty much nonexistent now too. Low carb was the right move for me for sure.

*Sugar Cookie*

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Kathy!! That's awesome! It really is commitment and with your hubs doing it, too, you both can encourage each other!! WTG!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
    Kathy - how inspiring! I'm not really missing the grains and starch now. My cravings are pretty much nonexistent now too. Low carb was the right move for me for sure.
    I don't have cravings much anymore either, in fact most days, I have to remind myself to eat 3 meals. I've been up and down my whole life and tried all kinds of diets including weight watchers and this just worked the best for me. I finally figured out that I just don't have the metabolism to burn carbs and I feel so much better now that I've eliminated most bad carbs from my diet.
    My Store

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emscraps View Post
    Wow, Kathy!! That's awesome! It really is commitment and with your hubs doing it, too, you both can encourage each other!! WTG!!
    Thanks Em! It has certainly been a team effort, which makes it so much easier. And we have no children in the house so that was a plus as well. So much hard to change your diet drastically like this when you have children in the home.
    My Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast