Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default June Book - Don't Say a Word Discusion

Starting the discussion thread here. If you haven't finished the book please don't read the posts yet as they probably contain major spoilers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: June Book - Don't Say a Word Discusion

So what do you all think about the book? I personally don't like it too much, but I'd love to read your point of view about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I am going to share my opinion first. It's a bit negative. I don't like the book much because I don't like the main character, Julia. I think that she is so selfish. I also don't felt the chemistry between Julia and Alex. It's not like the previous book where the relationship felt really possible, this one for me felt kind of fake.

I mean even in the beginning, it felt weird already that she is planning a wedding that seemed so forced and unhappy. I've never seen a more unenthusiastic bride to be. Michael seemed to be so nice to her but she was just so cold. She kept on saying that she didn't want to hurt Michael, her sister but then she just go ahead and do whatever she wants disregarding the consequences.

And when she found out that her foster mother had lied to her she just immediately hated her and denying all that Sarah had done for her just because the truth was kept from her, even though she knew it was to protect her.

Another thing I found repetitive was people just kept telling them not to pursue the truth and just leave it be for their own protection. Even when they've discovered Alex's Dad, he still told them the same thing and then disappeared but suddenly changed his.mind and appeared again? I think it just really doesn't make sense.

Anyway, that's a bit from me. Sorry if it's so.negative.

4. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Angela I liked the book, but then read what you wrote and agree with pretty much all of it... so maybe I did not like it as much as I thought . When I first started it I saw so many of the same ideas as last months book: main lady found a photo and it made her want to dig into her past, she was missing 4-5 years, both had car accidents that went over the ledge into the ocean, i think there were more but now I cannot remember them..I guess I should take notes. I liked the twist of the twin because I did not see that coming, but I did feel that they could have left the story line of Michael and the wedding out and came up with some other way to get her to see the picture...it would have made her a bit more likeable. When I got to the part where she found out about her parents I remembered the start of the book, which I had completely forgotten...i like how that part pulled me into the book, but as i continued reading i forgot what i was trying to figure out about the couple in the beginning. well overall i liked it, but yes I would have changed some things

6. Likes Angelclaud liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not reading your comments yet, since I'm still reading.
    When I started it, I was not too motivated and thinking of another book to read. (Does that happen to you? You read the words but your thoughts are in another book?) But the moment Julia saw the photograph and thought she might be that girl, it had me in it's spell. I think I've read about 20% today and I will sure continue reading. I am enjoying the story a lot for now!

8. Likes Angelclaud, scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Jessica, now that you mentioned it, it did seemed a bit similar with the previous book.

Another thing I find weird is that Julia kept on saying how she can't remember her childhood and it was suggested that what happened was too traumatic and so she kind of blocked it out; and then in the end she started to remember more about her childhood and stuff; but honestly she was around 3 at that time, and I think that age is too young to really "remember" stuff.

10. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Right i do not remember my life at 3...good point!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did like it.
    Julia feels very real to me, I can totally understand her feelings. I did not find her unlikable or mean at all because I felt Michael was a pushy man from the beginning. I did not like his character at all. He made me feel pressured and wanting to flee. I guess it also depends on our own personalities whether or not we can relate to or feel with a person, even if it is fictional.
    Right now it's almost midnight here so I'll go sleep. Tomorrow I'll be back with a better comment on it all.

13. Likes Angelclaud, scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"I guess it also depends on our own personalities whether or not we can relate to or feel with a person" I love what you said here. I think it's so true and reminded me why sometimes I can feel with a character and feel that they're believable or not.

15. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man... I'm almost done with this book. I skipped this thread so I don't read anything I don't want to see yet.
    Looking forward for the July book too! I love the GS book club! It has introduced me to a ton of book I never would have know about. Thank you Angel for hosting!

17. Likes scrapjrlgcp liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast