Post Thanks / Like

Default Saving Layouts...question

Hi everyone! I have been doing a bit of "spring digi cleaning" and am finding that I have way too much stored in terms of Layouts. How long do you save your layouts, where, under what file name, and if I delete them from my computer will they disappear from the Gallery here? Many of my layouts were for my daughter's baby book, which has now been printed and bound. What could be some reasons for keeping those layouts? I would hate to think of a reason after deleting them...

Also, where do you keep your digi stuff? I have a laptop and have been using EHD drives, but sometimes they crash on me. Is DropBox a good place to keep stuff? What are some ways of backing things up?

Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Saving Layouts...question

I save my layouts on my everyday EHD, a back up EHD and on a CD, just in case one dies. I don't think I would ever totally delete my layouts as you never know if the book will get destroyed down the track and you need to print another one. My program (SBC 4.0) saves my layouts as the title of the album and page (e.g. 2013 - Page 001).

I back up all my digi files up on EHD's and CD's so I really don't know about dropbox or an online back up programs.

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking a different thought from above....
    If you are saying:" I once UL LO "x" to a site from my computer , and now, I want to clean out my hd ...( cuz we have to)...will it stay in the gallery?"
    Answer, should be yes.
    Now...IF...you UL to photobucket pasted to a gallery and deleted....no
    IF you UL into a gallery ( not member) lets say designer challenge...and designer leaves the site.....most likely no.

Hope this helps.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

I would group them into months or years that the pictures were taken and then burn them to cds just in case you ever need them again you will have them and they will not be taking up space on your computer or EHD

5. Likes MSPeeler liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since I have opened GS I have never done a big gallery clean up. Although I think I will do one soon. But the clean up would be something that I remove LOs the are over 3 years old, and from people that have not logged into the gallery in 1 year (or longer).

That being said, you should never count on a digi site to be your LO storage. Soooo many things happen, sites crash, server issues happen, sites close down... Etc. It is just not a reliable form of storage for something as precious as your LOs. Also, the format that you upload to a digi scrap site, it is nothing you would be able to get printed. When you save it for uploading to scrap sites you have to use the "save for web" size, which is way to small to print.

If your looking to clean up space, saving the flattened jpeg takes up WAY less space then the PSD. So deleting PSD (that your 100% sure you will never need) but saving the jpeg, is something you can consider.

Also I know there are storage sites, that their purpose is to store your items, I don't know about cost... But it's something to consider.

Hopefully that helps
    Good luck with your clean up!! Let us know if a have any other questions.

Post Thanks / Like

I save all of my layered LO's in .TIFF form which takes up far less space than .PSD form. If I were going to delete anything it would be my .JPEGS because those can't be altered and I save them at a smaller size. I think that saving to a CD is a good idea. You never know when you might want to access something again.
    Carolyn
    My One Little Word for 2013: Progress