Thread: Reading Habit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reading Habit

Hi All,

I am curious about your reading habits. Are you a fast reader? slow reader? Do you skim through the page? Look up words in dictionaries? Make notes and highlights? Etc.

I am actually trying to change my reading habit. I think that I have a bad reading habit. LOL. I have a tendency to skim through the story really quickly in order to know the ending. I just HAVE to know the ending. Sometimes I will even take a peek at the ending first. Which I actually hate doing because it does kind of ruin the fun and suspense of reading but I just can't help it!

I always thought that I'll go back to read the book more slowly and thoroughly after I more or less know that plot and what's going on but 90% of the time I move on to the next book.

I am really hoping that by joining this book club, I'll read more thoroughly and really consider the tiny details in the book and not just read to know the plot and ending. That's definitely a bad habit that I need to change.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reading Habit

I like to read the whole story. I am a fair reader... not really fast, but not too slow. I only like to look at the ending if I know that it is a scary book. I don't like to be scared which is the reason that I don't join the book club because I know that if it is a suspenseful book that I won't like it at all. I do enjoy reading, though. Good questions that you asked.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fast reader. I read all the words. ;) I don't ever look at the ending of a book. I love the suspense, and I don't want to ruin it! I do re-read books though! I have several books that I have read more than 3 times. ;) I read every style of book too.

It will be interesting reading about other people's reading styles. Thanks for this post!

Suzanne, I love suspense and scary stories! ;)

Post Thanks / Like

I love reading books. I read every night before I go to bed (it seems to calm me). I'm a pretty fast reader, especially if I love the story line. Sometimes I read more than one book at a time. I don't often look at the ending unless I'm really not into the book but I want to know how it ends.

Colleen - I'm the same when it comes to re-reading. Some of my books are falling apart I've read them so many times.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm usually an in bed, right before I fall asleep reader (most days, it feels like the only quiet time I get). I think I'm probably on the faster end of reading, often skimming several words a paragraph (my eyes are just focused on the quotation marks, and seem to seek them out without me trying). I hate surprises, but surprisingly enough I rarely skip to the end of the story to read, just to the end of the page/chapter.

I do look words up if I can't find a way to work the meaning out based on how it's used in a sentence, but I don't take notes. I'm also not much of a re-reader, either. I have several books that I loved enough to re-read, but there's no unknown left, so I have trouble focusing enough to really get into the story a second/third time. :/

I'm a lover of the scary/suspense stories, too. I use reading as a mental escape from life -- so I need something that's completely different and strong enough to keep me focused and entertained.

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

I am also an in the tub or in the bed reader. Otherwise I play on my phone to keep occupied in the car or doctors office. I carry my nook EVERYWHERE!!

I am not a fast reader and when in bed I seem to fall asleep within the first few pages. ;( But that has to do with the fact I live in a state of constant sleep deprivation and if I stop moving I fall asleep!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missdamsel View Post
    when in bed I seem to fall asleep within the first few pages. ;( But that has to do with the fact I live in a state of constant sleep deprivation and if I stop moving I fall asleep!
    Amen, sista!

8. Likes missdamsel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a slow reader. Unfortunately, I too read right before bed and yes, sometimes don't even make it through a chapter when I fall asleep. I never ever read a book twice and there are many many books that I have not finished because it just didn't interest me. I do like to collect books. I think I downloaded enough free books to last a lifetime. I don't like to pay for books so I tend to take them out from the library and since they only give you three weeks to read it I struggle most of the time to finish something.