View Poll Results: March Book Club Poll - Pick Our Next Book!

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beautiful Creatures

4 36.36%
  • Safe Haven

3 27.27%
  • The Host

1 9.09%
  • Warm Bodies

3 27.27%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default March Book Club Poll - Pick Our Next Book!

There are some new movies hitting the theater in the near future (some as early as today!) that I am incredibly excited about! However, I'm a firm believer that the books are (almost!) always better than the movie. So, for the month of March, I'm taking inspiration from the movies and picking a few books we can read AND watch together!

The poll will run the 1st through the 15th, so don't forget to cast your vote!!!

----------------------

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret StohlLena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever. Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
    In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
    When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her...a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards...and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
    Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
    R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, noidentity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and stragely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a blast of color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that surrounds R. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world. Scary, funny, and surprisingly poignant, Warm Bodies is about being alive, being dead, and the blurry line in between.

So, are you as excited about ALL of those books as I am?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: March Book Club Poll - Pick Our Next Book!

I've read The Host and Beautiful Creatures, so I won't be voting for them.

I think I might pick Warm Bodies based on your review on GoodReads, JoyLynn! ;) It sounds fun. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    I think I might pick Warm Bodies based on your review on GoodReads, JoyLynn! ;) It sounds fun. lol
    Hahaha, I was worried about that review. I didn't want it to seem to negative, because I DID like the book a lot...it just wasn't quite what I expected it to be, lol!

4. Likes Colleen liked this post
    missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

They all sound exciting! My daughter is reading Beautiful Creature right now!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that was hard. I had to read all the reviews and watch all the trailers. I now have added 3 books and movies to my list of things I want to see and watch. Now, if only I ever get a movie time without kids?

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, I get that, Laura! Normally, my movie time is either late at night when the kids are in bed and we're watching a DVD, or the two or three times a year when my mom watches the boys overnight (she watches them for me several times a week while I'm in school, so I can't complain). I'm glad to know you liked several of the options enough to want to read/watch them! Can I ask which one DIDN'T make your list? :P

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't choose beautiful creatures. It takes me forever to read a book. I need something that captures my interest and something I will want to keep reading. I watched the trailer and just didn't think it would keep me interested till the end. I have put a hold on all 3 books from the library. All 3 have a wait list so we'll see which one comes in first. My husband wants me to read warm bodies as he said he'd go see that in the theater so that's the one I chose.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I just finished that one two or three nights ago (I try to read some books before I put them in the poll, just so I know what we're in for, lol)

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up the Host today from the library. I started to read it but it's such a big big book. I then went back to my library website and looked for an audio and they had it. I'm now listening to it but not sure I am grasping everything as my mind keeps wondering. How do you keep focused? I may have to read it too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard The Host is quite large book, and that it does take a bit of time to really get into it and fully grasp the concept. But that if you stick with it through that initial hurdle, it is so very worth it.

I can't do audio books, though - my mind wanders FAR too much to pay attention to someone read me a book, lol!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast