Post Thanks / Like

Default Teenage skin... Any advice?

Hey ladies, I was wondering if any of you might have some advice....
    My beautiful 15 year old daughter is struggling with acne. I personally don't think it is all that bad, it just looks like typical teenage skin.
    But I honestly don't know much about new products. I had acne when I was a teen, but that was a long time ago. Lol
    I actually still get breakouts, but my skin is totally different, and the methods I use for my own skin are not right for her teen skin.
    She has combo oily skin, and small breakouts- throughout her face, they are not the big under the skin bumps.

Do you know of any great products? Prescriptions or over the counter?
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teenage skin... Any advice?

there r some great new things out...but as u said many people have different skin and problems. i was given the wrong thing and it made me worse permanently. my suggestion if u can is to have her see a dermatologist so they can have her full health run down and see what they think is best

if that is not something u can do then over the counter with 2% Salicylic Acid...proactive is suppose to be good for basic acne (meaning not rosacia)

this link is for a certain type of med but it gives u a breakdown of what Salicylic Acid and other things do which is why i say see the derm. http://www.rxsystemspf.com/details.aspx?navid=67

guess I'm a tad late

Post Thanks / Like

I use Biore. Make sure it is one daily product wuth the acne product. Too much can dry your skin badly.

Post Thanks / Like

My son got Epiduo from the Dermatologist, it is amazing, I can tell the difference if he forgets to use it for a few days. (I steal some when needed)

Post Thanks / Like

oh and whatever way u go make sure she uses a good dermatologist recommend moisturizer with it. i love CeraVe. a bit pricey but so wonderful and u don't need as much and moisturizes without adding oil. its even safe for rosacia so it is safe for everything

guess I'm a tad late

Post Thanks / Like

Epiduo really does work quite well, you can get a prescription from her regular physician (no need for a specialized dermatologist visit). It works well without being too harsh BUT if you use too much in one spot, it can dry the skin out pretty badly. I have ubersensitive skin (combo oily, too!) and used it and it cleared me up but I kept globbing too much on one spot and had a very dry patch for a week or so. Just use it sparingly on individual spots.

If she has bangs, she needs to get rid of them. My sister kept having that damn forehead swoop/bangs hairdo all the kids have now and it gave her acne on her forehead from the oils in her hair. Push the bangs back!

Whatever she lands on, do NOT forget to use a moisturizer. If you use drying acne stuff to suck up all the oil and don't moisturize, the skin will overproduce sebum and create a bigger breakout. I love and use Yes to Cucumbers (not the one with spf) moisturizer and it's amazing, does not leave an oily feeling and has mostly organic plant based ingredients.

In the meantime, I suggest using Laura Mercier's *oil-free* tinted moisturizer. It's semi-expensive ($43 for a tube) but it lasts FOR-FREAKING-EVER. I ran out this week and the tube has lasted me about...7 months. It can go all-over as any makeup, but you can layer it on over problem areas, eliminating the need for concealer on such young skin and it won't gunk up her pores. Just take a tiny dot and pat it on--pimples gone. No powder, no oil, no concealer needed and it keeps the skin moisturized. I love the beauty of a fresh face, but I also realize if acne is really bothering you, it can seriously affect your mood.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the moisturizer. I use Ceravive and Cetaphyl. I use the first when I'm planning on spending more time outside because of the built-in sunscreen [as well as a normal sunscreen] and the latter daily.

8. Likes Ambelleina liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use metrocream. It's less drying that metrogel. I was using differin cream for a while, but it got too drying. Or maybe I'm supposed to be using both. I'm not sure. I just use the metrocream. (all of them have generics - I'm using the brands for simplicity). There are also acne washes and pads and creams (some with sunscreen) that have some combination of sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur. I know they are available by prescription.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome info ladies!! thank you all soooo much!!