Post Thanks / Like

Question Cleaning Tip Question

My mother is traveling to Dubai to visit with my sister, brother-in-lawn and her first grandchild for two weeks. While she is gone I'm planning on a rather ambitious cleaning the house project. One of the things I've been wrestling with is the linoleum floors downstairs. She's used Swiffer on the them for many years and we're now having a real problem with the floors being sticky. I was really hoping someone might have some idea of something I might be able to do to take care of it, other than getting down on my hands and knees and scrubbing it. We've tried swiffering then using water as a rinse, but it's still very sticky. I'm kind at a loss and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction or have some idea of something that might help. Thanks, ladies!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cleaning Tip Question

Have you tried using a Steamer, instead of chemicals/soap? I use a Shark steam mop and it's WONDERFUL on my hardwood.

Or using a Hardwood floor cleaner, like here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7555833_clea...od-floors.html
    but it's more like spot cleaning
    Last edited by MSPeeler; 02-18-2013 at 04:04 AM.

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

If trying yourself, try vinegar.
    Me- I'd probably hire it done...

I love the shark steam mop I have too. I use it full power on ceramic tile floor and on the slowest [softest] setting for the Bruce hard wood. Just concerned about too much moisture. Then use Bruce spray to go over it.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest vinegar too. Also baking soda and vinegar make a good cleaning agent too.

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

So, the Shark is good for hard wood? I now have hard wood and need to know this! ;) lol

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

While on the subject, I saw Granite cleaner at Home Depot the other day. Should I be cleaning my granite countertops with special cleaners???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missdamsel View Post
    So, the Shark is good for hard wood? I now have hard wood and need to know this! ;) lol
    Double-check but it should. I have a steamer [not Shark] and it's safe for wood

I agree with a steamer on the stickiness. Had a grape jelly concoction explosion in the kitchen and the steamer REALLY helped with that.

msbrad is online now *GingerBread Girl*
    *Sugar Cookie*
    *GingerScraps Praise Team
    *Winner of Scrpping Survivor- Season 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missdamsel View Post
    While on the subject, I saw Granite cleaner at Home Depot the other day. Should I be cleaning my granite countertops with special cleaners???
    I was on this topic with a friend of mine yesterday, as a matter of fact. She used to sell granite [and marble -we've purchased from the company she worked for.]. She is buying some this week to try. I'm hoping she lets me know.
    Thus far...I've used windex. It's been fine.
    m
    Michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, ladies! I had thought of vinegar, but wasn't sure it was any good for stickiness. We do have a steamer (if I can find all the parts) but I wasn't sure if I should to with that first or try something - anything - to work on the stickiness and at least cut it down first. And Michi I have to do it myself. I'm broke with no kids to order to do it so I don't really have a choice. ;) Although I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of weird looks from the pets!

I would think that the steamer would be okay with wood - you just don't want it to get saturated. It's is sealed somewhat and the steam would dry/evaporate fairly quickly. But I'm certainly no expert! Just using some logic and logic isn't always right.