Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Witch's Daughter - February's Discussion Thread!

Ooh, I'm cutting it close getting this posted on the 7th, eh? But, I've been taking care of a sick little boy all day (Tyler managed to avoid getting sick last week when the rest of the family was struck with random ailments...so, poor thing, popped out with a fever on his birthday yesterday).

This month we're reading The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston. So, who's picked up their copy of the book and dove into reading this month? I'm not quite done with it yet (ok, confession time, I haven't started it yet...but I've got less than 10 pages in the book I'm reading now, which I'll finish shortly, and I've already got this month's book loaded on my Nook, ready to crack it open).

If you're farther along than I am, be sure to pop in and tell us your thoughts! I'll be back in a few days, when hopefully a few others are started to straggle in with their reviews of the book, and be ready to chime right in!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Witch's Daughter - February's Discussion Thread!

I have kinda read it but honestly, I don't really like it. It's a bit too slow-paced for me with all the detailed descriptions. I guessed I'm more of an action type of reader and I like when there are more interactions and stuff between the characters. I kind of skipped through quite a lot of pages so I probably missed a lot of things.

The 1st chapter or more like prologue started out interesting enough with Bess escaping and building up the tension. But then the first chapters are quite slow describing the village Bess settled in, etc. Her friendship with Tegan also seemed a bit strange. Tegan's teenager who just suddenly love visiting her, even when Bess's being not so friendly in the beginning. It just felt that it's a weird thing for a teenager to do.

The flashback stories are a bit better and more exciting but still kind of slow. I won't go into the ending yet as some of you might still be reading it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Angela. It is going sort of slow. It was face paced in the beginning with the prologue but then slowed down. I am interested in the relationship she has with Teagan. It seems strange to me, so I am wondering what it's going to lead to. I started this book a bit back, but I haven't been able to get into it, so I pick it up off and on. This was even the book I voted for! :P lol

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still waiting for this to come in at my library.
    Tammy
    My blog

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else reading this book? The discussion this month is so quiet. Hehe

I think it's just normal to encounter books that we don't like. It's not necessary that the book is bad but just not to our taste or liking. Even with books generally loved, there will still be those who doesn't like it so I think it will be interesting to read why don't like it too.

I finished the book, well, I flipped through everything but the ending's also not very satisfying in my opinion. I don't think I read about Bess's getting in touch with other witches and stuff and suddenly the last fight was done with other witches? Also the fight ended so easily, everybody just went to Summerlands? The heaven for witches? It's just too weird and felt a bit forced.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to read it - I even went through Goodreads and Amazon Barnes and Noble and such, reading tons of reviews (though I knew it would give me spoilers). I kept hoping there would be something in them that would spark my interest enough to make finishing the book easier - but no such luck. I hate it, because it makes me twitch to not finish something I start that way (especially when it's a book, because you know...books are awesome). But, the pace, the language (I get that it was written by the voice of someone 300+ years old, and the flashbacks mean a different type of English than our current day, slang infused language...and yet, using words like mibben, and several others that have no found definition, just made my head hurt!), the strangeness of so many of the situations...I just couldn't do it. :/

missdamsel is online now *Site Manager
    *GingerBread Girl*
    *GingerScraps Site Creative Team
    *Scrapping Survivor - Digi-County Fair - WINNER! {staff}

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up reading the other two Tyrlle books and Before I Fall which was recommended by a good friend! I am hoping to have this one done in time to start Beautiful Creatures!

Post Thanks / Like

***SPOILERS***

Fair warning since everyone seems to be having trouble finishing this one - me too, but I did last night.

I think the book seemed like one I’d like when I voted for it, but reading it, it’s not for me! I thought the characters were entertaining enough and Gideon was dislikable enough, but there were just some things that didn’t work for me. A week and a half for 400+ pages is longer than usual for me to finish a book in my e-reader.

First off, I don’t recall that it was ever mentioned how the main character became qualified to be a nurse. Wouldn’t she need education, renewed at several points in time? Even way back when it took more than putting on a nurse’s uniform to perform surgery. And 200 year old training just might not float with a hospital, even 100 years ago.

Also, with the power and connection to go anywhere on earth, why did she stay in England to run away from Gideon?

Every thought I had for the end didn’t happen including that I had suspicions that Teagan knew that Ian was Gideon all along and she was being trained by both of them; either to be Elizabeth’s final undoing or that she’d end both of them and inherit their combined power. That might have been an interesting cliff-hanging twist, no? When I read that last journal entry, I was still wondering if it wasn’t going to end with “…but I love him, so I had to kill her for him” or something like that. Love can make a young girl do crazy things. Anne coming back at the end was pretty cool in my opinion and a surprise, but I was disappointed that Teagan didn’t play a part other than to be an afraid and protected witness to what was going on. Good or bad, I wanted her connection with Elizabeth to have a greater meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

I never started this one... and from the sound of it, maybe its a good thing. LOL. Oh well, they can't all be amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on page 209 and I'm kind of enjoying it. It's not my normal reading style at all.
    Tammy
    My blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast